I think Damnation Alley is probably the epitome of Goldsmith doing a marvelous amazing work for a truly awful movie. Watch if if you dare:

Oh, and The Swarm as well, yes.

Not seen one of those TVs yet. The aspect ratio sounds good for 21:9 content but not for 1.85 or 16:9  Know what I'm saying? I think I still would prefer a 16:9 TV. It's the best choice for all sizes.

There  are way too many examples  to ever list.  How good or bad a score is doesn't seem to necessarily directly relate to how good or bad the film is - composers can do their job and find inspiration anywhere, usually!

Star Trek 5 would fit the bill for a lot of people (I know many here love the film, of course)

The Star Wars prequels

Indiana Jones 4

Jaws 2? (Never seen it)

The Hobbit movies

Waterworld for a lot of people ( I happen to like the film)

And as mentioned half of Goldsmith's output...

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Are those bad movies or just mediocre ones?

Of course, the term is relative, but, sometimes, the discrepancy between a score, and its film (the dichotomy, if you will) is so apparent, that one would think that the score was somehow hijacked from another - better - film.

Perhaps another way of looking at it would be "the score is too good for the movie".

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

James Newton Howard wrote his career defining scores for M. Night Shyamalan.

Karol

This is true outside of The Sixth Sense, which I still think is a tremendous movie and is also my favorite score JNH wrote for MNS :)

Also, titling the last track on the OST "Malcolm is Dead" is still a ROTFLMAOmove

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's not Bernie, it's Bennie!

Bennie also said "a waltz has no place in a death-train" (or words to that effect).

2 hours ago, publicist said:

'Lonely are the Brave' is not a bad movie by any means.

There's the rub. What makes a bad movie? The two that I mentioned, while not in danger of being admitted to the AFI, anytime, soon, are still quite watchable, if only from  a kind of schadenfreude perspective. It is interesting that composers often pour their heart and soul into complete dogs.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's not Bernie, it's Bennie!

Paging Mister Herman, Mister Herman you have a telephone call at the front desk. 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Not seen one of those TVs yet. The aspect ratio sounds good for 21:9 content but not for 1.85 or 16:9  Know what I'm saying? I think I still would prefer a 16:9 TV. It's the best choice for all sizes.

They were around for a while several years ago. Philips made them. They quickly went away once people figured out they were basically useless for watching regular TV and that movies come in more sizes than 2.35:1. They were discontinued in 2012.

11 minutes ago, Romão said:

Batman Forever

Batman and Robin

The Goldenthal Batman scores are a good example.  Although I personally consider those movies to be campy classics, great for a drink and a laugh with friends!

I'm going to say:

Jumanji

Great score from Horner for a truly horrendous movie, not even a "so bad it's good" situation for me.

Really disliked Man of Steel, but I quite enjoyed Zimmer and Junkie's score to it. 

Another one that comes to mind is Marc Shaiman's score to the second City Slickers film. Pretty mediocre film, but the score itself I find to be a fantastic tribute to the Western films of old, as well as a great expansion of his work on the first film. Very underrated scoring effort IMO. 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Jaws 2? (Never seen it)

It's not really that bad, though the score is the best thing about it. The movie is dumb and of course pales in comparison to Spielberg's, but I didn't think it was exhausting or anything. From what I hear the series truly gets bad with 3 and 4.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

I guess when you've watched any given scene 5 or 10 times you aren't really able to distinguish between good and bad, anyway. You get used to it. Look at this messageboard for ample proof.

I imagine composers' perceptions of the films they work on must get very technical very quickly. I'm sure they recognize if they're working on something good or a piece of shit, but they probably can't be that focused on the quality of the movie most of the time while they're trying to match everything. I feel like the only time that something being poor quality would get in their way is when they can't even really figure out what the tone of a scene is supposed to be.

Bruce Broughton once told a story how he became overcome with grief upon watching 'Monster Squad' because Count Dracula was trapped in perpetuity in his undesirable undead state. Even the bad stuff gets you! (though scoring a 2,5 hour cut of 'The Swarm' is still a one-of-a kind achievement for JG).

2 hours ago, Richard said:

What about the Arnold score?

This is a weird one. The score is competent and it brings the series into a more traditional fantasy setting. David Arnold went back to the style that made him popular. There is a collection of 6-7 themes and each one of them plays its part and receives indivudual moment. Arnold quotes a theme of HGW as welk and does it better as well. The album is a solid representation of the score and contains pretty much everything you need. It does everything right and covers all the bases. And yet... it just doesn't cut it. And to this day I have no idea why.

Karol

As soon as I saw this thread title I cringed because I was expecting heavy doses of mostly undeserved prequel bashing. Luckily it has been kept to a minimum. 

I've also seen a couple other films I like being called bad (for example, Jumanji). To each his own, I guess.

Bad film, brilliant score

Off the top of my head I can think of two Poledouris ones.

Under Seige 2 (1995) by Basil Poledouris

OK, the sequel was 'fun' as hell (so I'm reluctant to call it bad) but very corny. The music was 'seriously' fantastic.

Yes, I know what the start reminds you of :) and the part from 1:33 onwards is a real favourite of mine. Reminds me of Goldsmith's 'The Mutant'

Lassie (1984) by Basil Poledouris? :P

With this, I admit to having never seen the movie so I can't really claim it is 'bad'. I just assume it is standard 'lassie' fare.

However, I purchased the CD years and years ago and the score has some very pleasant moments.

Look (or listen, rather) for the 'Deep Space Nine' - ish moment

Just doing last 5 years because otherwise the list is endless. So 2011-2015

Jupiter Ascending
Fifty Shades of Grey 
The Hobbit films
The Amazing Spider-Man 
John Carter
The Legend Of Hercules
Brave
Super 8

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Just doing last 5 years because otherwise the list is endless. So 2011-2015

Jupiter Ascending

Super 8

I agree with you so strongly at the start and then disagree so strongly at the end. Both are fantastic Giacchino scores, but I love Super 8 the movie.

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend is another one like The Swarm for Goldsmith.

That Goldsmith score... That crappy film...

And how Goldsmith find inspiration to craft one badass action score for this is mind-boggling.

I saw that movie, Baby, once as a child and liked it, but I never went out of my way to watch it. I'm not entirely sure it's scientifically accurate.