Alexandre Desplat's Star Wars: Rogue One score

17 minutes ago, JacksonElmore said:

Did you like zootopia

It was okay, I think it is probably his weakest animation score

Yeah I like Michael 

But I remember far more of Zimmers scores

(I suppose that could mean Michael is good at underscore though)

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Zimmer occasionally knocks it out of the park. Gia has NEVER done so.

The end!

I'm so confused by this!  I don't know what to say or think or do!!!!  Where am I???????!!!!!!!!!!!!  Why don't you all think like meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

because Giacchino is working amongst the most crowded era of film music, Williams did not. 

Yeah Williams had no company at all really.  Herrmann, Goldsmith, Rosza, Bernstein, Mancini, Morricone, and North were hacks. 

Come to think of it, Morricone doing an Obi-Wan standalone score would actually be kinda great. Think of his Force theme variations, or what he would do with the Tusken Raiders.

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Kathleen Kennedy and Gareth Edwards address the opening crawl question

KENNEDY: You know, we're in the midst of talking about it, but I don't think these films will have an opening crawl. I think that's what we kind of telegraphed at the beginning of the event today.

I was expecting that.

No opening crawl, no Star Wars Theme.

In this movie, I expect from Desplats to only and lightly quote Darth's Vader Theme and The Force Theme (provided that the Force is implicated in the movie).

He has the chance to create a new major theme, which could be reused in all the others "A Star Wars Story" movies.

Will he suceed doing that?

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I expect from Desplats to only and lightly quote Darth's Vader Theme and The Force Theme (provided that the Force is implicated in the movie).

What about the Rebel Theme? That one seems to fit right into the setting of the film.

Assuming there will be no Jedi, what would the Force Theme be used for?

It would be an interesting turn if the Death Star Theme/Imperial Theme from the original Star Wars would make an appearance.... but I'm not expecting that.

The Rebel Theme... well for me it's a variation of the Star Wars Theme, like Scherzo for X-Wings is also a variation from the Star Wars Theme.

I hope Desplats can find a Rebel Theme of his f*** own.

Oh sometimes the Force manage to make things happens... no need to have Jedi!

43 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Assuming there will be no Jedi, what would the Force Theme be used for?

There are plenty of examples in Star Wars of the Force Theme being used for something other then the Jedi.

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Rebel Theme... well for me it's a variation of the Star Wars Theme, like Scherzo for X-Wings is also a variation from the Star Wars Theme.

I suppose it is so well engrained with the main title theme because they fit together so well.

But I'm pretty sure it is a completely separate theme, no? :huh:

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I hope Desplats can find a Rebel Theme of his f*** own.

We even got John Williams writing "another Rebel Theme" with March of the Resistance.

I certainly wouldn't mind Desplat giving us another theme at that level. :D

An extended/updated version of Williams' Rebel Theme might be interesting as well.

But we already sort-of know what that sounds like, courtesy of Kevin Kiner on Star Wars Rebels.

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Oh sometimes the Force manage to make things happens... no need to have Jedi!

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There are plenty of examples in Star Wars of the Force Theme being used for something other then the Jedi.

True, of course. But would that fit into the Rogue One movie?

I understood it is meant to be more a "realistic" (as far as Star Wars can be realistic) war movie with decidedly less mythological/fantasy elements.

So I'd be quite surprised to hear the Force Theme making an appearance. Still... it would probably be a welcome surprise. :music:

If Desplats can't write a brand new and specific Theme for "Rogue One Squadron" without quoting John Williams previous themes, he's doomed. At least, for me.

34 minutes ago, Bespin said:

If Desplats can't write a brand new and specific Theme for "Rogue One Squadron" without quoting John Williams previous themes, he's doomed. At least, for me.

Of course he will use the old rebel theme, and heavily vader's theme. I don't think he'll "lightly" hint at it with the inevitable big reveal of vader in the movie

51 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

They already used it in the trailer. they shouldn't have, but they did

4 hours ago, KK said:

There were some beautiful truths spoken here in the last few days. And then there was some rubbish.

It was a pleasure reading it all.

Tell us which was which!

8 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I understood it is meant to be more a "realistic" (as far as Star Wars can be realistic) war movie with decidedly less mythological/fantasy elements.

So I'd be quite surprised to hear the Force Theme making an appearance. Still... it would probably be a welcome surprise. :music:

The Rogue One panel at Celebration mentioned that the Force and the absence of Jedi is a point of interest in the film and at least one character is a believer, so there may be opportunities for it. 

Is the movie which explores the unorthodox life of Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes was confirmed?

Someone told me when they first mentionned it few weeks ago in a Comiccon, Alexandre Desplats yield like a little girl in the back of the room and shouted: "I vant to score it!!!!"

I think it may not be until the moment when JW can no longer compose (which I of course wish would never come) that people here really start to appreciate "Williams-imitators" like Giacchino. When JW is no longer writing, it will be comforting to hear others continuing his general style (with of course their own unique style mixed in). That of course assumes that orchestral film music still exists by that time. I sure hope it does.

17 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Being stuck with the Williams imitators would be like tying the knot with a fleshlight. Enjoyable in short bursts, but overall a depressing existence. it'll never compare to the real thing.

Yikes, that's bleak indeed! I wish you the best of luck when it happens.... :eh:

• 2 months later...

Regarding the Desplat situation, let me repeat what he said about it at yesterday's film music symposium in Vienna (or see my whole thread about it here).

Asked about what caused him to drop out of Rogue One, he explained that the recording sessions where originally scheduled for early August, but then moved repeatedly, first to September, and then further, and he was already commited to another project that clashed with the changed schedule.

21 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Regarding the Desplat situation, let me repeat what he said about it at yesterday's film music symposium in Vienna (or see my whole thread about it here).

Asked about what caused him to drop out of Rogue One, he explained that the recording sessions where originally scheduled for early August, but then moved repeatedly, first to September, and then further, and he was already commited to another project that clashed with the changed schedule.

That's ridiculous. Desplat couldn't deal with Disney's constant re-shoots/re-edits and rescheduling. So the Disney people were just like, "Eh, bring in that Giacchino guy." To shit out another turd.

• 5 years later...

Can you explain why there was a hand-off from Alexandre?
I’ll tell you, I actually don’t know an awful lot about that. [The filmmakers] were like, “Do you want to know what happened?” And my response was, “You know what, when this is all over we can sit and talk and have a drink and you can tell me whatever you want. I’d love to hear the story. But for right now I feel like I’d rather just pretend nothing happened and everything is good and I’m just going to come onto this.” And they were like, “Fair enough, fair enough.” So honestly, I don’t know anything about it other than what was purportedly, you know, “schedule issues.”

A quote by Giacchino sorta makes it seem like it was other stuff which I have thought but the scheduling issues still makes sense so idk.

I'm counting down the days till a track or mockup gets released

On 17/07/2016 at 9:49 PM, Bespin said:

This is now really funny to me in the context of your comments in the Kenobi threads