Bryce and Michael play Star Wars for John Williams

Mari

That was friggin' great. And great to see Williams in good shape, considering this was only last week!

I love how he appears in a mix between a wizard and with his hand in his pocket like a true jazzman. Amazing.

Dammit, I should have tried something like this when I used to live near there! I guess now it would just be tacky. ;)

In all seriousness, to see him just come out and chat good-naturedly like that is pretty remarkable. And I feel admiration tinged with just a little annoyance at these wonderful musicians' cojones.

Hehehe that is one way to get the Maestro's attention I guess. It is not every composer who gets serenaded with his own music outside his house. :lol: 

Lucky that JW was at home and was kind enough actually to come and chat with them. But he is a sweet guy.

Awww, so nice :) They had a bold idea, they went through with it and they've got an experience for a lifetime. This is truly inspiring, he is such a nice, nice man.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree with all the "awwws" above and I'll add: that's mighty good brass playing!

Agree with all this and I'll add: that's a mighty fine arrangement!

I guess the camera above the front door showed no harm would be awaiting JW if he ventured outside.

I drove by his place seven years ago, but all I could do was throw a thumbs-up in the general direction of the house. ;) The grass has been neatly trimmed, but one of the concrete slabs of the sideway has been warped up by a tree root, Google Earth shows me...

Video of the year, definitely. And Williams seems to be in great shape.

19 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I like to think that Williams has a closet filled with nothing but almost identical looking turtlenecks all tagged different things like "for scoring," "formal," or "casual," and which one he wears is dependent on which situation he feels he will be confronted with that day. 

And one labelled "for greeting creepy strangers performing my music in front of my house".

It's really cute hearing his neighbor behind the camera cheering and talking so familiarly to him. It's like a little glimpse into the neighborhood, you can imagine that everyone just sees him as sweet old "Mr. Williams" who lives next door.

Did the video got shorter? It cuts off right after Williams shakes hands with the kid. It used to continue with him shaking hands with the teacher.

3 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Imagine doing this in Bernard Herrmann's doorstep.

If you listen to the Unvarnished Chat with Bernard Herrmann you can hear how he treats his invited guests so it might have been several degrees colder reception for uninvited guests performing the Shower Scene music from Psycho on his front lawn I should imagine.

Some industry people have commented on this in the FSM thread and they do not approve!

Ford A Thaxton:

Guys, these folks are so OUT OF LINE!!!

You don't go to someone's HOME UNINVITED and start doing this?

It's rude and these folks are need to understand this is really wrong.

Ford A. Thaxton

He's a very kind and gentle soul, but that doesn't change the fact that showing up on his lawn and pulling this stunt is just RUDE and to be honest making it as public as they have doesn't nothing to respect the man's PRIVACY.

Ford A. Thaxton

Really?

Are you this clueless?

Does the term PRIVACY mean anything to you.

They showed up at this PRIVATE HOME to pull this stunt, that is RUDE,DISRESPECTFUL and to be honest it can help folks who are less then stable to get a good idea of where the man LIVES!!!!

He's an 84 year Old man who deserves to have his PRIVACY RESPECTED.

This show of nonsense makes fans in General look very bad.

Ford A. Thaxton

A person who clearly doesn't understand the right for someone not to have this happen at their PRIVATE HOME.

The fact you can't seem to grasp this is just amazing.

Ford A. Thaxton

That is my point, there are fanboys here who just don't get it.

This man deserves to have his privacy respect and I assure you that there are those who are close to him (Family,Agents,Fellow Musicians,etc) who saw this and freaked out and fear for his safety.

It's bad enough to go to his home, but to put the video up online is just beyond the pale.

If you can't understand that, you are just a lost cause.

Ford A. Thaxton

Peter Hackman:

Completely agree. Going to someone's home is crossing the line. I know these guys had only the best best intentions, but sorry, this is over the line.

Richard Kraft:

As someone who cares deeply about composers and their lives, it is NEVER okay to show up to their house uninvited, film that encounter and then post it online. 

Every part of that is a disrespectful, and potentially dangerous, invasion of their privacy.

Motives don't make it alright. Living in the neighborhood doesn't make it alright. Having the outcome of one particular encounter appear to having been handled graciously doesn't make it alright.

Celebrities, including composers, are people first. 

Their homes are off limits. ALWAYS.

--Richard Kraft

That's okay because of the reaction, and because it is John Williams and we know that he's a gentle guy.

But now, everbody will know he's a gentle guy...

It makes me uncomfortable.

Don't ever do that in front of my house, I will call the police.

I know Ford is prone to being a bit of a so-and-so on occasion (I do agree with him on this particular topic), but IMO it speaks volumes that Richard Kraft (who is kind of a big deal in the film score community, but usually only posts Elfman promotions from that account) cared to make a statement about it.

2 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

This sort of thing wouldn't fly with other celebrities. You'd be apprehended and given a restraining order.

You know this firsthand!   Stay away from my house!

Richard Kraft from the FSM thread again

Several composers have expressed to me their strong concerns for their privacy and safety following this video viewed by over 600,000 people so far. 

The potential for an escalation of "fan" encounters at their own homes deeply troubles them both for themselves and for their families.