FILM: Lifeforce (1985)

karelm

Is it possible for a B movie to be extremely high budget? 

Lifeforceposter.jpg (300×451)

This film is somewhat of a mixture of horror film, vampire film, old James Bond films, and B film but with very high (for 1980's) production values. I enjoyed this costly B movie and here is why.  This is a vampire movie before it was profitable or cool to be a vampire movie (Twilight).  The movie is somewhere between a sci-fi flick, James Bond movie, a huge budget B movie, and a sex flick.  This movie was directed by cult director Tobe Hooper whose other films include Poltergeist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  The special effects were excellent for their time being better than those films.  Like many vampire flicks, this film featured heavy sexuality and new "comer" Mathilda May is mostly fully nude and gorgeous in a 1980's way (bush) and the score by fans of vintage 1950's era sci-fi veteran Henri Mancini would enjoy.  I loved the music because I love this style but the movie felt like it belonged 20 ears earlier but with a prominent post Bond style and very big budget. 

Do see this in the directors cut.  I saw the original and full of lots of gorgeous nudes, the story wasn't satisfactory.  The film is about a crew of a space shuttle finding a spaceship in Halley's Comet.  The ship is investigated by the stupid crew.   Gorgeous visuals (for 1980's) reveal a 150-mile long spaceship hidden in the corona of the comet.  The crew finds dead, shriveled bat-like creatures and three perfect naked humanoid bodies (two male and one female).  After recovering the alien bodies, the crew returns to earth.  The perfect nude bodies take control of the humans and begin an infestation.  Drama ensues.  Sexually obsessed vampires begin infesting people. 

Pre Star Trek TNG Patrick Stewart is in this movie for no reason.

The positives of this movie are an excellent sci-fi score by vintage B movie veteran Henri Mancini, gorgeous full frontal 1980's style nudes by ballet dancer Mathilda May and excellent special effects for those days.  The story is very stupid though but anyone who likes old bond and sci-fi wouldn't mind.

I far as I remember, Alex, Patrick Stewart didn't show his tits.

I stumbled across a cheap Blu of this at CEX (a UK-wide discount entertainment store).

The "director's cut" is much better, but that was the cut seen in UK cinemas.

Yes, it's preposterous, but it is quite entertaining, and we get 2 - count them; 2 -  iso scores.

Anything with Peter Firth gets my vote.

• 2 months later...