The Best of John Williams (introduced on screen by John Williams) - LSO Concert (26 Nov 2016)

crocodile

Programme includes:

Superman: Theme 
Witches of Eastwick: Devil’s Dance 
Jurassic Park: Theme
JFK: Prologue 
War Horse: Dartmoor 1912 
Harry Potter: Hedwig’s Theme 
Jaws: Main Theme 
ET: Flying Theme 
Olympic Fanfare and Theme
Raiders of the Lost Ark: March
Schindler’s List: Theme
Close Encounters (excerpts)
Saving Private Ryan: Hymn to the Fallen
Star Wars: Highlights

London Symphony Orchestra

True. Always wanted to see LSO live, my favourite symphony orchestra. I probably wouldn't have been interested in film music if it hadn't been for their "LSO Plays Classic Rock" albums in the 80s and early 90s, which I played to death on cassette and CDs (today, I consider them rather cheesy, though).

Have the LSO performed Rey's Theme yet? I'm curious to hear their interpretation of it.

Disappointed at the lack of Lost World and Hook.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

That'll be awesome live

I've heard it once before, as performed by CBSO. It was really good.

We are, of course, talking about the suite Williams arranged for concert performances, not the film cue. Right?

Karol

That should be from that concert, no?

Film Night / Williams, Boston SO (Boston Symphony Hall, Boston, MA, 2012-06-02)

Bugler's Dream/Olympic Fanfare & Theme (Arnaud/Williams); Song for World Piece; Olympic Spirit; Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse; Suite from The Reivers (Williams, narrated by Alan Simpson); Fanfare for Fenway; The Cowboys Overture; John Dunbar's Theme from Dances with Wolves (Barry); Theme from How the West Was Won (Newman); Theme from Now, Voyager (Steiner); The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin; A Tribute to George Lucas and Steven Spielberg; Yoda's Theme from The Empire Strikes Back; March from Superman; Stars and Stripes Forever (Sousa). Broadcasted on wgbh.org (2012).

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/concerts.htm

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Always nice with a Williams concert, but pretty standard fare in that one, don't you think?

"Standard fare", Thor?

It's the fucking L.S.O. and maybe the L.S.C. on backing vocals!

Anyway, it does say " The Best ".

On 20/07/2016 at 4:36 PM, crumbs said:

Have the LSO performed Rey's Theme yet? I'm curious to hear their interpretation of it.

Disappointed at the lack of Lost World and Hook.

JW opened with "TLW", at The Barbican, in 1998.

I saw the LSO when Desplat Conducted them at the Barbican. They were by far the most complete and flawless orchestra I've seen live to date. Not one single instrument section or individual player that missed a note from what I heard and none overwhelmed the other. I'd love to hear them do a full concert of Williams! Especially with some TFA.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

Tommy Pearson flew to LA to record the new video interviews earlier this year. I'm looking forward to hearing / seeing them. Particularly the likes of uncovered territory like 'Devil's Dance' and 'JFK'.

For those interested and making an overseas journey like me, the day after this there are two performances of 'North by Northwest' with Live Orchestra. Make it a weekend trip! :-) https://www.eno.org/whats-on/north-by-northwest-live/ 

JW and TP.jpg

Hehe, lovely pic! I wish I could attend the concert, looks marvelous. Also, I'd love to hear the LSO taking on The Force Awakens.

Who's gonna conduct the concert?

On 29-7-2016 at 1:13 AM, leeallen01 said:

I saw the LSO when Desplat Conducted them at the Barbican. They were by far the most complete and flawless orchestra I've seen live to date. Not one single instrument section or individual player that missed a note from what I heard and none overwhelmed the other.

They arent as versatile as the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra though.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, alextrombone94 said:

Still no conductor announced yet. I'm just gonna dream about JW flying over to conduct 

Well, he already recorded the interview.  Maybe it will be a "Mr. DNA" type presentation. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2016 at 10:29 AM, TownerFan said:

Who's gonna conduct the concert?

Frank Strobel will be conducting.  He took the baton for the LSO's all-Williams concert at the Barbican a couple of years back and did a very fine job.

By the way, the concert is now completely sold out.

Looks like my November schedule is filled with London concerts... Jurassic Park on the 5th (found a really good seat today actually), Aliens on the 6th. Then this LSO concert on the 26th and then North by Northwest the day after. Oh and E.T. just after Christmas. Oh my poor wallet.

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

A sneak peek at just one short section of John Williams' introductions, recorded in Los Angeles specially for this concert.

Posted by London Symphony Orchestra on Montag, 31. Oktober 2016

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

Did he just say "whatever the hell we've done..."?! If so, weird to hear him swear.

I feel like he's said "hell" and "damn" before in interviews. 

Johnny is a dirty potty mouth!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

"....hope I will see them soon"

EPISODE VIII RECORDED BY LSO CONFIRMED!

:P

He did say that with a little gleam in his eye...

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Did he just say "whatever the hell we've done..."?!

He says, "whatever the other ones we've done". He just says "other" with unusual emphasis. Your illusion of Williams being a kind old man who would never use such gutter language is thus maintained!

Damn! I wanted some of his old, gruff 'jazz persona' to seep through...

There is this other interview, I think from the mid 90s or perhaps earlier, where he is unusually candid and even passive-aggressive at times. Some British magazine, I think. Can't remember if there were swear words in it, though. Anyone remember?

In other Williams / LSO news, the free lunchtime concert at LSO St. Luke's this Friday (4th November) will include a performance of Three Pieces from Schindler's List among works by other American composers.  LSO first violinist Rhys Watkins will be doing the honours.

http://www.lso.co.uk/whats-on/icalrepeat.detail/2016/11/04/499/-/friday-lunchtime-concert.html

I have been to a fair few of these free lunchtime concerts over the years and I can thoroughly recommend them if you happen to be in that part of London.  It's a lovely way to spend an hour.  LSO St. Luke's is about a ten minute walk from the Barbican Centre up Whitecross Street (which happens to have one of the best street food markets in London).

The concert will also be streamed live on the LSO's YouTube channel, so if you are nowhere near London you might still be able to catch it!

Is anyone interested in selling one or two tickets to this event? If you purchased tickets and can no longer make it, please let me know! I just found out I will be in London over for the 26th and would love to go!!! Alternatively, does anyone know if tickets are being sold to this event on a secondary ticket market website?

I hadn't heard the story about John Williams showing up to an LSO rehearsal when they were on tour in LA to personally apologize for not being able to record The Force Awakens with them.  Very interesting....

(this story was told in the livestream mentioned above)

Also despite it listing Three Pieces from Schindler's List as part of the program, they actually only performed the main theme.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like this concert will be repeated on Sunday 30th April next year as part of the Barbican Centre's Sound Unbound classical weekender, so if you missed out on tickets first time round you might have another chance.  They will be playing Scherzo for X-Wings as one one of the selections from the Star Wars films; I bet it will be really versatile!

Meanwhile, this from LSO first violinist and John Williams fan Maxine Kwok-Adams:

:lol: