LOST IN SPACE (2018) includes cameo of Williams' theme

chrispappas

From a post by Kevin Burns in the Lost in Space memories Facebook group:

" Lots of progress on the new "Lost in Space" for Netflix. Several writers have been hired to join Matt Sazama, Burk Sharpless and series show-runner, Zack Estrin. Season One will consist of ten full hour episodes at a budget of approximately $90 Million! But the BIG NEWS is that John Williams has agreed to "freshen up" his classic LIS music -- including the theme songs. Stay tuned! "

Sounds weird, but if it's true, my suspicion is this: he's either agreed to do a re-arrangement of the ONE classic theme (the first season theme) OR given permission for someone else to remix it, like the Apollo 440 version for the 90s feature film. I doubt there's anything more than that; they're not going to use his dramatic music from either of the four episodes he did. And there is no 'theme songs' (they're neither songs nor in plural, unless you count the slightly different versions of the theme from season to season).

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Nice shot Netflix, this news will spread on the web like a wildfire.

Sarcasm I assume? 99.99% of the Internet won't give two shits.

Associate a series that nobody cares about with a big name...

What if John Williams has really agreed to write new music for the series?

Seems to me that this does 2 things: When his theme is mutilated for the 'modern audience', they can proudly claim it had JW's blessing, and as already stated, it associates a big name with the series.

Same sort of thing as Zimmer being announced as 'score producer' for some random miniseries.

15 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Hopefully this means the show will at least it will probably have an awesome theme song, which is more than you can say for most of the music for these Netflix series.

I don't know, I absolutely LOVED the theme (and music otherwise) for the recent show STRANGER THINGS. Some good TV themes are still being produced, for Netflix and otherwise.

In either case, I'm curious to see what they'll do with this reboot. The original show was incredibly campy, but still remains one of the three most important sci fi shows to come out of the 60s. And the basic premise has the potential to be adapted into something more serious and gripping. I have high hopes for now.

Just now, Thor said:

I don't know, I absolutely LOVED the theme (and music otherwise) for the recent show STRANGER THINGS. Some good TV themes are still being produced.

I thought the Stranger Things theme was pretty dull, as was the rest of the score.  

To each their own. It's a type of score very much up my alley. It's my favourite TV score of 2016 so far.

As for applying an old theme to a new sci fi reboot, I remember with fondness the beautiful way they incorporated Stu Phillips' original BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA theme into the final episode of the reboot show a few years back. So there's room for that kind of thing too.

It's still unclear but if Williams will be composing anything new or even just arranging old stuff I am very excited for this. The wording of the Facebook post makes it sound like it will be Williams himself who "freshens up" the theme. But they could mean as Thor suggested that he's just given his blessing for someone else to do it.

Did Williams give his "permission" for Apollo 440 remix, I wonder? I doubt it; it's not like he's sitting on the copyrights. It would be a courtesy call, if anything.

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, King Mark said:

it's like the Jurassic world trailer (piano bit of williams theme at the end)

Yeah and it's terrible, just like the Jurassic World and female Ghostbusters trailers. It's yet another trailer with strings and piano.

Will Robinson is Jake Lloyd?

Lennertz is a terrific choice for this. I'm excited to hear the extent to which the classic theme will be used, and whether JW really did revisit it, as has been reported.

Now, who is going to score Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance???

ah, well that settles it

Also The Season 3 theme was connected to the themes used in the scores but the Season 1 and 2 theme had no connection at all