Quintus

America

Well, the imbecile perfectly have the right to be represented too!

Populism.

It comes when people are tired of profesionnal politicians. It's just the pendulum swing back.

In Canada, they just speak about Trump to laught at him.

I say: stop laughing.

He really could win.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

And then what? A parade of un-presidential moments for sure but the toppling of the free world and the four horsemen of apocalypse riding into the White House is typical media hyperbole. No president of the US has THAT much power to fuck it up. Reality is not a Marvel comic.

Indeed.  

So the question becomes, which is more likely to cause the more subtle, insidious fuck-ups?

Has everyone missed the fact that the Democrats have gained such a significant advantage in the electoral college, that Clinton only needs a few swing states and shes won? Wheras Trump, like McCain and Romney before him, needs all the swing states to win.

For example, there's murmur lately that Pennsylvania could go red even though it hasn't since 1988. I don't buy it. Trump might be popular in the rural areas across the state, but Rocky City will offset that.

And Ohio and Florida seem to go blue by default now. I'm not sure why they're even called swing states.

Oh, and Trump will never get the nomination. Either Cruz or Rubio will get it. Maybe even Jeb!

Trump will never make it to the primaries. He'll drop out before the Iowa Caucus even begins!

Not really. In the end it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Thats the histerionics that always seem to come with Presidential elections in the US. If candidate A is elected then the gates of hell will swing open the next day!

Ridiculous! There are just elections, they have them every 4 years.

The president is more a figurehead for diplomatic relations than a lawmaker.  That's why Obama, with a Republican congress, has been largely ineffective in his goals.

In my opinion, Trump would be a terrible public face for our country.  His thoughts on NAFTA, the UN, etc. are troublesome to me, whiff of Brexit.  There are certain presidential powers, things that can be done without congress, that I wouldn't leave in Trump's hands. 

Hillary is okay - not my all-time favorite candidate, but she agrees on several of the issues I really care about.  There are other issues that neither candidate sides with me on, but alas alas etc.  The way our country works right now, a third party vote is a wasted vote.

Why is it then when you go to America you can chose from 37 flavours of popcorn, specify exactly how much fat you want in your ground beef but when it comes to yor elections you get no more then two flavors to choose from?

Is there a third candidate? What cave is he hiding? Do the American people know he exists?

Johnson is the big third party "success" of the cycle, which is to say that he may possibly maybe earn enough of the electorate to maybe someday participate in a televised debate.

There's also a Green party candidate, Jill Stein, who would be the fourth highest polling candidate at this point.  She may siphon some of Bernie Sanders' voters who can't stomach Hillary for whatever reason.

Because each new flavor of popcorn is just a different combination of cheap profitable and delicious chemicals with indefinite shelf lives that have no effect on the nation.

Presidential elections have historically included third party candidates but they've never fared well, not since the days when Whigs were elected. Campaigns are expensive and risky ventures, and the election system makes it too difficult for third party candidates to be elected. 

Popcorn. 

Caramel and butter are the dominant flavors of popcorn. They lobby hard for years to stay dominant. But you want Tabasco flavored popcorn because you want change. You can vote for it, but the popcorn stand operator doesn't have to listen to your choice. He's been persuaded to pick between caramel and butter. You're not going to get to enjoy Tabasco. 

If it had been Sanders (very far left) and Trump (very far right on a lot of things), I could have seen a "centrist" third party candidate gaining a lot of support.  As it is now, most of the slightly-left-of-center and slightly-right-of-center candidates fall in the two major parties, and third parties pick up people whose political beliefs fall more on the fringes.  As such, it's difficult for them to garner significant support - especially since their budgets too are usually much more limited than a big-party candidate.

Hillary is a very divisive candidate, even amongst Democrats. If the Republicans had been able to nominate a candidate who at least had the semblance of capability then she would stand little chance. I guess very few among the Republican Part wanted Trump, but the people spoke and they had no choice. If they had tried to put forward someone else like Paul Ryan then there's the risk Trump would run as an independent, and you might as well skip the election and install Clinton.

I want it to be Hillary simply because then she will be able to get access to the Secret Service files of her husband and know all the things he was up too while he was President! ;)

Or she can retire and be given all of that information as reading material in exchange for keeping to herself.  What a day it will be when the Clintons finally disappear.  And may it be long before more political dynasties crop up. 

Monica Lewinky will have an unfortunate accident hours after Hillary has been sworn in. She was found to have accidentally beheaded herself with a steak-knife her corpse was still holding. Before her head died it tried to smoke a cigar....

I've been trying to take Trump seriously, but his acceptance speech finally made me change my mind. Claiming that America is a laughing stock is really stupid, unless I've been reading the wrong enwspapers. The only reason why America could be considered a laughing stock is because it still believes amendments from the 1770s are relevant today, and he's not gonna change those, and he's certainly not gonna be productive in race relations. Then, when that crowd started chanting 'Lock her up!' I finally realised what kind of people he's attracting. Not that I'm a big fan of Clinton...

King Elessar chimes in...

48956801.cached.jpg

Nowhere is this divide more pronounced in America than in the political arena, where presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald J. Trump, a real-estate heir turned reality star, has conducted a particularly combative and ugly campaign, giving his rivals schoolyard nicknames, claiming his opponent is playing the “woman card,” and accusing Ted Cruz’s father of being involved in the assassination of JFK. Oh, and that’s not to mention his string of asinine and outrageous stances, including a Muslim travel ban, deporting 11 million Mexican immigrants, calling for women who receive abortions to be punished, and most recently, claiming he can relate to the black experience in America because he’s taken on a “rigged” system during the current election season.

“He’s only saying in cruder terms what really started with Reagan, but then took flight with Gingrich in ’94: the polarizing, race-baiting rhetoric of the Republican Party for the last several decades is coming home to roost,” says Viggo. “Trump is the logical conclusion. He’s not very nuanced in his diatribes, but he’s not saying anything very different than what [Paul] Ryan, [John] Boehner, [Dick] Cheney, and [Mitch] McConnell are saying. All of these guys have been engaging in the same divisive, racist politics.”

Viggo was an outspoken Bernie Sanders supporter, but ever since the Bern’s final embers went out, he’s redirected his allegiance to Green Party candidate Jill Stein. Yes, Aragorn is no fan of Hillary Clinton.

“If you want a woman then vote for Jill Stein,” he says. “If you really want a woman president—if that’s what you want—vote for Jill Stein. I trust Hillary about as much as I trust Donald Trump. I think she’s dishonest, I don’t think she has the interests of working people at heart, and I think she’s shown that time and again. All the things that Bernie Sanders said about her I agree with.”

But, to quote political satirist Bill Maher, there are only two choices really on the menu this election: Hillary and Trump. Viggo, in addition to accusing the Daily News of doing “a hatchet-job facilitated by Hillary’s people on Bernie” during their editorial board conversation, says he’s aware that the “Bernie or Bust” strategy—or supporting a third-party candidate like Jill Stein—may be paving the way for President Donald Trump.

“Yeah, I was a Bernie supporter,” says Viggo. “And I know the argument is, ‘Yes, if you vote for Jill Stein you’re giving Trump a chance.’ The Nader argument. But you know, at some point it’s got to change. We should have a parliamentary system. It’s really got to change.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/16/viggo-mortensen-goes-green-i-trust-hillary-about-as-much-as-i-trust-donald-trump.html

If Michael Moore is right about Michigan and Wisconsin, that would certainly be a massive boost to Trump's chances. The polling that's been done in those states so far doesn't indicate that his prospects are particularly good there (by comparison with, say, Florida or Virginia). Still early days, though; it will be interesting to see where things lie once the convention dust has settled.

On 7/25/2016 at 2:04 AM, Stefancos said:

Not really. In the end it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Thats the histerionics that always seem to come with Presidential elections in the US. If candidate A is elected then the gates of hell will swing open the next day!

Ridiculous! There are just elections, they have them every 4 years.

Well, I do think the "Trump presidency is super scary" thing is going too far. Although that doesn't mean I support him; quite the contrary.

Not sure if this has been posted but the great Nate Silver and FiveThirtyEight predict this:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=mobilebar

On 7/25/2016 at 5:34 PM, bollemanneke said:

I've been trying to take Trump seriously, but his acceptance speech finally made me change my mind. Claiming that America is a laughing stock is really stupid, unless I've been reading the wrong enwspapers. The only reason why America could be considered a laughing stock is because it still believes amendments from the 1770s are relevant today, and he's not gonna change those, and he's certainly not gonna be productive in race relations. Then, when that crowd started chanting 'Lock her up!' I finally realised what kind of people he's attracting. Not that I'm a big fan of Clinton...

Overall the Western world is in a pretty darn good position right now. The whole "America is broken" thing is ridiculous. 

I trust Hillary about as much as I trust Donald Trump. I think she’s dishonest, I don’t think she has the interests of working people at heart, and I think she’s shown that time and again.

Of course Hillary seems dishonest. There have been some Republicans that have tried time and time again to smear Clinton. Of course she's always shouting. If people ruthlessly attack you that's what you become. 

Additionally, something I've realized is that Sanders is beholden to certain interests too. Is it any better to have to appease the environmental movement than corporations? You might say that environmental groups only do good but if you think about it the situation is much more complicated.

Clinton is not the victim of unfair smears, she is a genuinely corrupt individual.

And she's not shouting because she's frustrated about being attacked.  She's just deranged.  I've watched this woman parade around for more than half my life.  She's deranged.

38 minutes ago, Will said:

Is it any better to have to appease the environmental movement than corporations? 

Yes, it is.  Literally the future of our planet.  

Environmental groups might not do all good but the shit that these large corporations pull is far worse.  Plus, again, they're literally trying to save the planet.  

14 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Clinton is not the victim of unfair smears, she is a genuinely corrupt individual.

But compared to a moral, intellectual vacuum like Trump, really?