Michael Giacchino's SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING (2017)

Damien F

Yup. Of the entries so far, it best captured the spirit of the character and franchise.

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Indeed. Elfman gave it a distinctly memorable personality and character without your classic, "hummable" melody. Those opening titles, with Elfman's running string ostinati, were a big part of my childhood.

Elfman's Spider-Man theme and the accompanying score works for me for many reasons, but one of the bits that I've always appreciated the most is how it has parts that I can easily associate with Spider-Man and there are parts that I can easily associate with Peter Parker. Both the heroic feats of the masked hero and the human struggles of the man behind the mask are palpable in the notes, and I can't think of many other superhero scores that have been able to as succinctly capture that duality so perfectly. Usually the human element becomes lost somewhere in the fanfare, though there are exceptions. Another example would be JNH and Zimmer's work on TDK trilogy, I feel. 

As a huge Giacchino fan, I have to stop and think sometimes how happy I am that he is in pretty much every single franchises legacy. 

Star Wars

Star Trek

Pixar

Marvel

Jurassic Park

Disney

Planet of the Apes

Mission Impossible

Etc.

And hopefully with Matt Reeves Directing 'The Batman,' he'll be in DC soon as well. 

It truly is an unbelievable time to be a Giacchino fan, and sucks if you're not haha.

16 hours ago, Muldoon said:

Yeah and it blows my mind that no one else feels the same way. All of them are different, but all of them are great.

I like all 5 for sure;  I love Young's score, and Horner's too.  I like parts of Elfman's, but don't feel satisfied listening to their complete scores all the way through... and I was surprised by how much I liked Zimmer's, practically the only Zimmer I noticed and liked in the film of all his 2010s works

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like all 5 for sure;  I love Young's score, and Horner's too.  I like parts of Elfman's, but don't feel satisfied listening to their complete scores all the way through... and I was surprised by how much I liked Zimmer's, practically the only Zimmer I noticed and liked in the film of all his 2010s works

Ah, well I view C&C as another matter entirely. I think the only one I love in its complete form is Horner's and maybe Zimmer's, though I'd have to actually hear a complete version of the latter to know for sure. Young's is fantastic, but I'd trim it in a couple of places to make a better listening experience. Elfman had the best main theme, but I could probably excise 15 minutes or so from each of his scores and still be happy with the result.

True, none of the scores are as all consuming in complete for as say, a John Williams action/adventure score, but all 5 can be made into extremely satisfying album presentations (and I don't necessarily mean the album presentations made by the composers)

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

The Horner theme is magnificent. But I agree not very Spider-man-y. But Elfman's theme is perfect and will be hard to top.

Horner's bests Elfman's theme.  It felt like a true superhero theme and absolutely fits.  Shame they abandoned it for the sequel.

15 minutes ago, GiacchinoCues said:

The full suite can now be listened to on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5lxuugt1gcip2VFBiy65ei

Also have you seen the website is back? www.michaelgiacchinomusic.com

Ugh. The main theme is so banal. I am tempted to call it rubbish. And the orchestration is so uninspiring. What happened Gia? I think he just phoned it in. The main theme sounds like he wrote it in 5 minutes.

Doctor Strange theme also honestly felt that way but the orchestration was dazzling.

1 hour ago, GiacchinoCues said:

The full suite can now be listened to on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5lxuugt1gcip2VFBiy65ei

I agree that main theme isn't that great. And the mix is unfortunately very dry. Still hoping to enjoy the rest of the score. 

Is it just me or does it sound a bit like the Nature's Reclamation theme from LotR?

Oh, and a bit of Elfman's Alice in Wonderland?

It's a grower. I didn't think too much of Tomorrowland until about the third or fourth listen of the whole score, and with the context of the film too. That score became one of my favourite of Giacchino's output.

38 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You can like it if you try hard enough.

A very dismissive way to describe a grower.  You could describe the process of people on the board growing to love TFA score the same way.

57 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Let's settle for The Not-As-Awful-As-Haters-Would-Have-You-Believe-Yet-Not-As-Awesome-As-Fanboys-Claim-It-Is Spider-Man.

This is precisely correct.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Let's settle for The Not-As-Awful-As-Haters-Would-Have-You-Believe-Yet-Not-As-Awesome-As-Fanboys-Claim-It-Is Spider-Man.

The MCU!

OK I listened to the suite and was not impressed.  The main theme sounds like something an amateur composer highed to score a video game would come up with.  The plinky version of it, probably to be used for Peter Parker scenes was OK though.  The Vulture section in the middle was very similar to his Star Trek scores villain material.  The love theme is completely forgettable.

Hopefully the underscore is better than this theme suite.

I think so too.  His first score back after he took a year off was amazing, he should take another year off to recharge

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Desplat does that all the time with no problem! 13 scores is a normal year for him!

Desplat has never really knocked one out of the park for me.  There's always a few cues I like from his scores, but I've never fallen head over heels for anything he's done.

I'm not saying prolificacy is the only reason for that, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to ease up?

The S'all Right Spider-Man

Honestly, I think this is fine. Before anyone asks, no, I don't necessarily think I'll love it like the other 5. The "main theme" snippet at the beginning is just as dull as his title card for Rogue One. Most of the other themes I would consider about on par with his Star Trek work. I'll probably end up liking about half of the score, which is fine by me as that's still more than I got out of Doctor Strange.