Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

IMHO, this is the one Williams score that is in the most desperate need of an expanded release. The only problem is how the music would be presented, particularly the Temple sacrifice music and the source cues. "The Temple Of Doom" cue on the OST CD gave us a glimpse, but not much else. The music runs much longer in the movie and contains several unreleased sections. The source cues would be interesting, and I would assume they would be presented a la "Luthor's Luau" on the Superman expanded set. It's tough to tell since the source music was sometimes interrupted from underscore at the feast.

To hear the music itself completely could be a very interesting listening experience. Temple, IMO, is one of the few Spielberg films JW scored in which SOME of the music does sound tracked and chopped. A lot of the cues were melded together, even cues on the OST were edited down or longer in the movie, and of course, the already mentioned Temple and source music. The cue that would probably sound the most different would most likely be the End Credits, which I think were resequenced more than we think around to fit the scenes of the movie.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most John Williams fan agree this is "THE" score that needs to be expanded the most. I for one would welcome an expanded score, a complete score, or any new version with more music. The music is amazing as is this vastly underrated film.

You meant overrated, I am sure. :mrgreen:

joe, taking the bait.

TOD might be under rated, but not nearly as under rated as The Last Crusade.

Oh yes! TOD is fun but stupid (horribly stupid in the first 30 or so minutes). Crusade is clearly my favourite of the soon to be trilogy of four.

Marian - also feeling strongly about this, and even more about the fact that there are no DVDs yet.

I think Crusade is a very strong score and a five star album, but falls short of Raiders and Temple. I think it's incredible from the beginning up until and including Scherzo For Motorcycle. After that, a handful of the cues are good, but some of the cues ARE well, not so much boring, but not invigorating by any means. Like on the 2-CD boot, I find myself skipping from Scherzo For Motorcycle...to No Ticket...to the Belly of The Steel Beast...to Indy's Return...to the End Credits. I don't necessary listen to those exact cues, but I think some cues like The Berlin Air Terminal or Reunited With Sallah are good, but not the type of mystifying, pounding, or action cues that the other rest of the score (or the other films) have. Just my two cents.

Most John Williams fan agree this is "THE" score that needs to be expanded the most.

Yes, it got this dubious honor the day the 2 disc Superman - The Movie was released.

Neil

I agree Indy. But the pressing question is, how will the music (that I mentioned in the topic post) be presented?

Just simply,in chronological order like the other expanded Williams score.The actual c.d. is very incomplete,but Kevin,I can assure you there is no choppy editing , music tracking or a single loop in the score as presented in the movie.

K.M

I think Crusade is a very strong score and a five star album, but falls short of Raiders and Temple. I think it's incredible from the beginning up until and including Scherzo For Motorcycle. After that, a handful of the cues are good, but some of the cues ARE well, not so much boring, but not invigorating by any means. Like on the 2-CD boot, I find myself skipping from Scherzo For Motorcycle...to No Ticket...to the Belly of The Steel Beast...to Indy's Return...to the End Credits. I don't necessary listen to those exact cues, but I think some cues like The Berlin Air Terminal or Reunited With Sallah are good, but not the type of mystifying, pounding, or action cues that the other rest of the score (or the other films) have. Just my two cents.

LIER!!!!!

The score shold be presented in chronological order as Williams wrote it. The source music, if it can be included, should be put on the end of the CD's, in a manner similar to the Star Wars, Return of the Jedi and Superman - The Movie discs. This way it will not interrupt the flow of Williams' music.

Neil

It should begin just as the movie with the awesome Cole Porter song, Anything Goes, and proceed note for note, but if we don't get that a presentation much like the expanded Raiders would be better than nothing

At this point Joe, the release really needs to be everything. We've been spoiled by complete score releases that anything less for an Indiana Jones score would be a crime.

Releases like the even more expanded E.T. and the so called "Ultimate Edition" of The Phantom Menace just make collecting film scores that much more frustrating. I'm willing to wait awhile for Temple of Doom to be released properly on CD. With Indy IV apparently really happening, I'm sure we'll have this in our grubby little paws around that time, if not sooner.

Neil

then I expect a crime, Neil, cause I don't expect every note.

In other words I will hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

As long as I have Slave Children and the TOD end credits, then I am atleast partially there.

I have high expectations. I really think a complete release can happen. I take that back. A complete release must happen!

Neil

This film is by far the worst in the series, but the music is absolutely terrific and it really needs an expanded release - the normal OST only contains 40 of totally 110 minutes of music heard in the film!

The best would, of course, be an expanded 2-CD set with all of the music from the movie, but a 70-minute release would not be a bad idea either -

we would at least get half an hour of missed music!

8O

Worst??? Hmmm, well from my big excutive comfortable computer chair, they are all great and all close to each other in goodness.

This film is by far the worst in the series, but the music is absolutely terrific and it really needs an expanded release - the normal OST only contains 40 of totally 110 minutes of music heard in the film!

The best would, of course, be an expanded 2-CD set with all of the music from the movie, but a 70-minute release would not be a bad idea either -  

we would at least get half an hour of missed music!

8O

UHmm, you have that wrong I am afraid, Least Crusade is the least of these.

• 2 years later...

According to someone at the FSM board,

at least as of five or six years ago, the masters for "Temple of Doom" were missing.

This is the first I've heard of this really, I just thought it just didn't get released up to now.

I hope it's just a silly rumor. We haven't gotten an official complete release of Last Crusade either, hopefully more due to the reuse fee issues of LA vs. the LSO (Raiders) than "misplaced" master tapes.

Sorry LC beast the TOD score, IMO....

AND JOE YOUR WRONG! LC is a better flick then the Children Killing TOD;)

Krosstj- always an opinion, all the time, everytime.:(