Jerry Goldsmith's Rambo: First Blood Part II - new Intrada 2CD

publicist

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't know. Am I defined by what you guys are?

You hang out here with us. Are you the cool guy among geeks?

• 4 weeks later...

Just listened to this. The main program on Disc 1 sounds great. And although the previously missing end credits comes from an audio cassette, I was fearing the worst based on how the sound quality was described, but it turns out it's perfectly listenable.

Not sure what the point of the 35mm three channel mixes is. I haven't heard them all the way through. Reminds me of those 2-CD Futureland releases of Godzilla scores in the 90s where the first disc would feature the unaltered sessions, and the second disc featured the chronological film score edits. Not sure the latter was necessary.

I guess they decided to just do a "everything but the kitchen sink" release. Since they could not get everything in good quality.

I'm hesitant to call the release definitive, since I do hope better versions of the alternate and unused cues turn up one day. But even if that never happens this is a great release of everything that could be salvaged.

I've got a question about the track "Village Attack/Helicopter Fight" on this new release.

The previous expanded version by Silva had a slight pause just after 00:40 in that track, which I had gotten used to after listening to it so many times.

But on the new Intrada version, that pause is no longer there. Does anyone have any clue why that is?

Is one of those two versions considered to be the "correct" one? If so, which one is it?

You don't own the booklet? It's mentioned in there that the way the 2 cues are married together on the Intrada release corresponds to the composers intentions and how they play in the film.

Please buy this release rather that settling for a download.

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

This is just locker room talk.

Very much so!

Clearly some people come here to waste their time on purpose by posting random chit-chat.

Unfortunately that happens to also waste the time of people who are not interested in having their time wasted,

but come here out of interest of the actual subjects that are supposed to be discussed.

Shame, really. But what can you do? :eh:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my replacement disc 1 from SAE. Is there any way to identify the new replacement disc (i.e. visually) other than by playing it? The artwork seems identical.

On 9/19/2016 at 11:52 AM, Jay said:

We have re-visited CD 1 of our Rambo II release to include the take of "The Map" that ends with a 13-second coda. Since we needed to create a new master and re-press the first disc anyway, I decided to go ahead and "drop in" the two wild percussion hits that go with "The Cage", although I had just informed Roger yesterday that I hadn't planned on doing so. It is I who may have caused any confusion, not Roger. Fortunately he can't fire me... though he may not trust me again for awhile.

:wink:

Jerry recorded "The Cage" with brief rests built in for three bursts of percussion to emphasize when Rambo kills three of the compound guards. Interestingly, the first of these three percussion tracks was already mixed into the cue during the sessions. It has always been there. The second and third were recorded completely separate to facilitate dropping them in later and synchronizing with the action, depending on how the scene was ultimately edited during post-production. No prior release of the soundtrack has ever included these last two percussion hits, and Jerry himself left them out of his own album assembly back in 1985.

I stayed with what Jerry had done and asked Roger to let people know accordingly when informing them about my remastering the disc to include the coda with "The Map". But once I was revisiting the master anyway, and since the cue already plays on CD 2 as Jerry preferred it, I figured I would go that one extra mile and newly remix "The Cage" to include all three percussion hits exactly as they are heard in the finished film. So listeners get the cue both ways. (My apologies, Jerry. I just had to do it.)

We'll re-press CD 1 shortly and make them available at no charge to anyone who would like a copy. If you haven't yet purchased our Rambo II release, the timing will be perfect. We ran out of them and needed to re-press the set in any case. So all future sets should include the re-mastered CD 1. We'll post here when the re-pressing has occurred.

Thank you for your patience. There are some who will be happy about this news and some who will figure we're making a bit of a fuss over nothing. Jerry referred to me during a recording session once as wanting "every bloody note... including the orchestra tuning up". I'll pass on the tuning up experience, but otherwise I do want every note of this masterpiece and I want it all prim and proper. I think I finally have it as such... and you can too in what I'm guessing will be just about three weeks. :D
--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7202

'The Map' sound even better now and that not just just because of the 13 second coda infused in the end. I find the overall re-mastering and tweaking of the high end sound more palatable. So kudos to the team!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know few here will care, but I am thrilled that StudioCanal has released this digitally, along with Rambo III.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/rambo-first-blood-pt-ii/1463111852

It is available to stream and purchase at the usual places. Hopefully First Blood will follow too.

• 4 years later...

I’m checking out this release on Spotify right now, and I was wondering about the difference in mix between the complete score and the original soundtrack in 35mm… Is one supposed to sound “better” than the other, or just different? Isn’t the complete score supposed to utilize the 35mm tapes as well?

Also, to my ears, the complete score version of “Pilot Over” sounds much more clear than the soundtrack version, but then on the other hand the soundtrack version of “Village Attack / Helicopter Fight” sounds more clear than the complete score version…

Assuming that the complete score version of “Pilot Over” is correct, it almost feels like there was a mix-up, where the 35mm OST version of “Village Attack / Helicopter Fight” accidentally ended up in the complete score section of the album, and vice versa…?

10 hours ago, Tydirium said:

I’m checking out this release on Spotify right now, and I was wondering about the difference in mix between the complete score and the original soundtrack in 35mm… Is one supposed to sound “better” than the other, or just different? Isn’t the complete score supposed to utilize the 35mm tapes as well?

Also, to my ears, the complete score version of “Pilot Over” sounds much more clear than the soundtrack version, but then on the other hand the soundtrack version of “Village Attack / Helicopter Fight” sounds more clear than the complete score version…

Assuming that the complete score version of “Pilot Over” is correct, it almost feels like there was a mix-up, where the 35mm OST version of “Village Attack / Helicopter Fight” accidentally ended up in the complete score section of the album, and vice versa…?

It seems like CD 1 uses two sources:

The entire score appears on CD 1, in the best audio to date, presented mostly from PCM 1610 format digital mixes as well as the three-channel elements

"Pilot Over" seems to come from the digital source, looking at the spectrogram (very clean and precise CRT lines + low pass filter around 20kHz):

image.png 

image.png

"Village Attack / Helicopter Fight" however seems to come from an analog source, the spectrogram is looking more grainy and doesn't have the low pass filter:

image.png

So maybe the better digital master for some tracks wasn't found, so it could not be used for the first CD.

7 hours ago, Chewy said:

It seems like CD 1 uses two sources:

"Pilot Over" seems to come from the digital source, looking at the spectrogram (very clean and precise CRT lines + low pass filter around 20kHz):

image.png 

image.png

"Village Attack / Helicopter Fight" however seems to come from an analog source, the spectrogram is looking more grainy and doesn't have the low pass filter:

image.png

So maybe the better digital master for some tracks wasn't found, so it could not be used for the first CD.

Interesting, thanks for that! What about “Village Attack / Helicopter Fight” for CD 2, the OST presentation? Does that also appear to be analog, or digital?

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Interesting, thanks for that! What about “Village Attack / Helicopter Fight” for CD 2, the OST presentation? Does that also appear to be analog, or digital?

Also looks analog to me, but indeed different from the CD1 track. I guess they had multiple analog sources available for this, the 35mm and something else.