Jerry Goldsmith's Rambo: First Blood Part II - new Intrada 2CD

publicist

People always say that but when i listen to that album there are just a few cues flat out restating music from part 1. He even did a whole new main  theme.

I like that score, and there are certainly many hi-lights ("Shafted", and the snowmobile music). If the score is not as good as the original, just look at what it accompanied...

Still, in many ways, it is a playful score, and it has a wry wit.

"TFC", on the other hand, is completely beyond superlatives...

31 minutes ago, publicist said:

All of Goldsmith's sequel scores were novelties. It never seemed to occur to him that he just could repeat the first score, like Horner so often did.

Poltergeist II being one of the most extreme examples.

Karol

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Damien: The Omen part II might be the exception to that though.

27 minutes ago, publicist said:

People always say that but when i listen to that album there are just a few cues flat out restating music from part 1. He even did a whole new main  theme.

I think he gives a nice new spin on his original material in part 2 and adds some twists to it, including that wry choral croak motif for the ravens. The tone is more wickedly playful as well.

Which reminds, I should take another listen to the whole trilogy again. Chilling but excellent stuff.

The heroic mission tune from 'Rambo 2''s end title could have found a loving home in so many 80's Arnies, Stallone's or Norris's or alternately one of Donald Trump's early self-congratulory image clips.

Just received this and read the booklet. Really informative liner notes. Can't wait to give this a spin

Having said that I wish they would have written a little bit more about the actual music, rather then the technical details like slate numbers, what kind of tape etc etc.

I can understand why they didnt include a track-by-track analyses, since the Silva Screen already had one and the content of this new release is almost identical. but still....

3 hours ago, publicist said:

The heroic mission tune from 'Rambo 2''s end title could have found a loving home in so many 80's Arnies, Stallone's or Norris's or alternately one of Donald Trump's early self-congratulory image clips.

Goldsmith wasn't against repurposing an unused theme, so it's surprising he never went back to it.

But apparently he eveb refused to discuss it with Doug Fake, so something must have hit a nerve back in the day.

Probably he found the commercial appeal of a song (Frank Stallone!) more intriguing. And the heroic counter theme wouldn't have fitted most other pictures he did afterwards.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Agreed. My initial impression, all those years ago, was: Meh, just the same score all over again. But that didn't last long, and I think they actually have very little in common. Certainly Damien is full of highlights that are totally original.

This is the only reference to The Map I see in the FSM thread:

--"The Map" seems to be the only track not accounted for in the two major master materials Doug discusses in the liner notes (digital and three-track) and it also is probably the worst-sounding track of the full score presentation. I've a/b'd it with the Silva and it may be just mastering, but they don't sound like the same source to me necessarily. So maybe the 1/4" tapes Doug talks about in the liner notes are not the same "baked" tapes that were used for the Silva? ("Home Flight" was also not on the three-track master but did appear on the 1610.)

You could try asking Intrada directly on Intrada's message board:

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7167

Hmmm, Monday night is indeed when their new titles always go up.

But they don't start shipping until Tuesday, so maybe its looking for that.

Or maybe capitalization matters

Or maybe the answer is Thursday, since that's when he typically posts the first clues

Well someone on the FSM board just asked the question there

What's the story with "The Map"?

There are an extra few notes on the Silva version that don't appear here. Was it a different take?

Rambo: First Blood Part II (INT 7149)

CD 1

Outstanding. Improves on the already excellent Silva Screen release from 1999 by having a few nuggets that were unaccounted for back in the day. And the tracks on the Silva release that sounded a bit compromised are presented in excellent sound here. Great job Intrada!

CD 2

This one is a bit baffling to be honest.

The bulk of CD 2 is filled with an 35MM 3 channel mix of the exact same music as on the first CD and I cannot see the point of it. For the most part it sounds exactly the same, except a few instances when it actually sounds worse. If anything this selection shows that Bruce Botnick knows his stuff. Otherwise I can't think of any reason to play this again, ever.

The only reson I can think of for including this is to justify making this a 2 CD set. Without it the complete score and all the alternates come up to 87 minutes.

The alternates on CD 2 are of interest. But why present the percussion overlay for Revenge separately and not where it's supposed to go? This CD set has 3 version of Revenge, but none with the insert?

The most important addition of the second CD is of course the End Credits cue, which despite it's very poor sound is very worthwhile. (i hope City Of Prague will oneday rerecord it)

Like I have said many times over the years, this is one of my all time favourite score. So I adore this release. But were a more casual Goldsmith listener ask me if he should buy this one of go for a second hand copy of the Silva Screen release I would have to recommend the latter.

Objectively speaking you are paying a lot of money for only a few minutes of new worthwhile music. And the sound is pretty much the same anyway.

Some quotes from the FSM thread about "The Map", and other stuff

What's the story with "The Map"?

There are an extra few notes on the Silva version that don't appear here. Was it a different take?

The Intrada version is listed as 0:59. The Silva version is 1:09. Ummm... not sure what the difference is, haven't received the Intrada disc, but I'll be gutted if this cue is missing something.

Yeah it is not here. The Silva one had a coda to it and sonically sounds better than the Intrada shorter version. Intrada mention they could not find the map cue for the 35 MM mixes but curious why they did not just use the Silva CD source here. Not end of the world I have just used the Silva one on my playlist. Also used the 35 MM mixes of the the Camp, River Crash, Gun boat and the village attack/helicopter fight instead of the disc 1 tracks. The 35mm ones for these cues are so much better. Also at least one of those short percussion tracks was used during the camp infiltration when Rambo kills a guard with an arrow to the head. Overlay I think? Finally played around with the end credit in Audacity to push more info to the right channel and emphasised treble to make it sound a bit better.

Judging by the film, that coda was a fix and not really meant as a coda. The last long note needs to be edited to the end of the track to achieve the film version.

So strictly speaking, the Intrada release is only missing a long held bass note at the end of the track. Nothing major really.

And yes, both "Percussion No. 1" and "Percussion No. 2" are overlays for "The Cage" and can be heard in the film when Rambo kills two guards with arrows.

Geez, why wouldn't they have mixed those percussion overlays into the proper spots somewhere on the release?

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Well made my own complete score edit. With the final part of The Map restored and the 2 percussion stingers inserted into The Cage, and the song permanently junked in favour of the End Credits piece.

Where do those percussion stringers go in The Cage? Any editing advice?

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

Where do those percussion stringers go in The Map? Any editing advice?

My first advice would be to edit them into The Cage rather then The Map. ;)

I might need to do some fine tuning but when I'm happy with the result I'll share my findings.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

My first advice would be to edit them into The Cage rather then The Map. ;)

I might need to do some fine tuning but when I'm happy with the result I'll share my findings.

Ah of course. :lol:  Again typing too fast and too much cursory reading fo the post.

The first percussion stinger goes at 3 minutes and 1 second. The second one goes at 3 minutes and 36 seconds. And it's just a matter of fine-tuning the position exactly so that it flows well with the notes that follow them. My edit might be a millisecond off of the film version, but i like the way they flow.

It boggles my mind that with 2 CDs to play with, they didn't present the track twice, once without the overdubs, and once with them properly inserted.  How odd.

I love the set but there seem to be a few things that slipped their attention. First of all the final 10 seconds of The Map. The Intrada release plays identical to how the cue is heard in the film. But the Silva Screen version is longer.

The two percussion stingers (tracks 25 and 26 on CD 2). According to the liner notes these weren't used in the film. But they clearly and very noticeably were.

Considering this release is supposed to contain everything they could find of the score, even if the sound quality was poor, and since the liner notes goes into great detail about why some tracks are presented slightly differently then on the Silva Screen release (though at no point the name Silva Screen is mentioned) I simply have to conclude that they never noticed The Map ran longer. Or that those percussion stingers were in fact overlays for The Cage.

Strange since a lot of exhaustive work obviously went into this release. But there you go.

Yea, its just odd that they say they love the score so much, but wouldn't notice something obvious like percussion overlays appearing in the film.  Oh well.

I wonder if thats the reason why no one from Intrada has commented on these questions yet. :)

Little niggles aside though this is still a worthwhile release. Especially those End Credits, despite the poor audio. I have a crystal clear version playing in my mind for days now.

I am perfectly fine with the Intrada set as I don't have such extensive knowledge of the score beforehand nor do I remember the score from the film with such detail that these small things would bother me too much.

A great score and as I said before a fantastic new find for me in JG's discography.

Just received mine (along with Chinatown). Why did I get two booklets?

Oh and I got charged customs... That's the second time this year..

Karol

Oh wait, think I know why. There is a slight (and I mean very slight) printing error on the front cover. Like a white mark. Hardly noticeable.

Karol