Howard Shore's SEVEN - Complete score on Howe Records

Jay

7 hours ago, Jay said:

An expanded version of SEVEN is coming from Howe Records on September 16th

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IUYVAFQ/

You could say this will be its first proper release. The old soundtrack album had two short suites from the score if I remember correctly.

I bet there are tons of alternates with even wilder bowed cymbal action that simply begged to be released on a deluxe 2 disc LLL style release! ;) 

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, I just renember MV saying something about this score so I assumed they are doing it. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

Karol

Didn't they for some strange reason for a time sell that 3 disc set of Shore's previous expansions for Crash, Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch. Or am I misremembering?

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

I bet there are tons of alternates with even wilder bowed cymbal action that simply begged to be released on a deluxe 2 disc LLL style release! ;) 

Shore fans and that fanatical obsession with utter completeness.

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

even wilder bowed cymbal action

That's exactly the kind of action I desire, if you get my drift! :devil:

I saw the film for the first time since the 90s a few months back and was really impressed by the score! Haven't ever listened to the suites so really looking forward to Howard's album.

Terrible cover art, but the music is all that matters.

I wonder if LLL will do signed copies like they did for other Howe Records releases.

That is exactly what I've been thinking. It's not available to pre-order from UK Amazon yet. So I'll just wait and see what happens.

Karol

The slipcase was rather unattractive but the signature looks nice indeed.

_20141020_121013 (1).JPG

I wonder whether they were waiting so long with the new release just so that Se7en could be Vol. 7. ;)

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I wonder whether they were waiting so long with the new release just so that Se7en could be Vol. 7. ;)

I had the exact same thought when I saw the cover. I betcha that is the case.

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Didn't realize it was just a cardboard slipcase. Was it some unique clamshell or did it fit around 3 separate CD cases?

It was a signed cardboard sleeve with the three releases inside it.

That cover isn't very good is it. But the music is what counts.

And that Vol. 7 coinciding with Se7en seems like too much of a coincidence. :lol:

I didn't remember anything about the score either from when I saw the film in the 90s, but we watched it last year sometime and I noticed the score and really loved what I heard.  Very glad this new release is coming, it will be bought by me!

Lots of canons and fugues in this one.  It adds a delightfully dark and complex texture to the aural landscape of the film.

I rather like the lovely, pastoral (and ultimately unused) cue that opens the score.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, wow!

In the US the release date is Tuesday September 13th, and LLL will sell copies signed by Howard Shore

Signed copies coming Sept 13 courtesy of HOWE RECORDS and the awesome Howard Shore

:)

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=1&threadID=66045&archive=0

Well, I'll know soon enough (tomorrow?) whether it's a mistake or not.

Great news about autographed copies but I won't be double-dipping. Plus it's just cheaper to get it off Amazon. I seem to be getting charged customs more often these days and it tends to be a value of yet another CD.

Karol

Well. it arrived this morning. 61 minutes 9 seconds.

1. The Last Seven Days (2:14)

2. Gluttony (5:44)

3. Linoleum (2:24)

4. Somerset (1:04)

5. Greed (3:39)

6. Mrs. Mills (1:05)

7. Help Me (3:31)

8. Sloth (5:29)

9. Library (2:19)

10. John Doe (6:02)

11. Apartment #604 (4:15)

12. Lust (3:52)

13. Pride (4:01)

14. The Wire (3:15)

15. Envy (7:09)

16. Wrath (5:16)

Karol

Cheerful as first spring sun after a long and cold winter. ;)

The first track is unreleased and it sounds surprisingly warm and tender. Must be for the Pitt/Paltrow scene and ending right when Somerset falls asleep.

Karol

33 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The first track is unreleased and it sounds surprisingly warm and tender. Must be for the Pitt/Paltrow scene and ending right when Somerset falls asleep.

You mean unused, not unreleased, right?

24 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Between all the unofficial expanded scores and bootlegs and what not

I somehow didnt realize there never was a proper full release for this

There was 20 minutes on the song-compilation OST from 1995, and that was it (legally) until now.

On September 2, 2016 at 8:42 AM, crocodile said:

I haven't listened to it yet, but it's probably meant to score the original (deleted) opening to the film.

Just finished my first listen.  

This score is bleak and oppressive!  Hardly ever relents.

Doesn't end with a bang at all either, just kind of... stops.  Too bad he couldn't have done an end credits suite.

It was never going to be an easy or most pleasant listen. Might be his most difficult score actually. I might create a slightly shorter version for listening purposes. Having said that, it is an important work and I'm glad we have it all now. :)

Karol

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Just finished my first listen.  

This score is bleak and oppressive!  Hardly ever relents.

Doesn't end with a bang at all either, just kind of... stops.  Too bad he couldn't have done an end credits suite.

I like that though. No resolution, it just leaves you hanging.