Fellowship of the Ring Live To Projection in Toronto - Dec 1-3 2016

KK

Yes! Very surprised. The TSO never had much fondness for film music, so we've been deprived of such major concerts for years. Guess they're trying to appeal more to the masses this season. 

Indeed, cool lineup ! 

For those interested, the trilogy will be performed here in France : http://www.cineconcert.com/seigneurdesanneaux/
I've already seen ROTK live in concert but it was the cinema cut. This time they will perform all three films in their extended cut !

Howard shore is also announced but I don't think he will be conducting.

Howard Shore will be present but Ludwig Wicki will be conducting.  I am awaiting official confirmation of whether or not the extended editions are being performed.

31 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Howard Shore will be present but Ludwig Wicki will be conducting.  I am awaiting official confirmation of whether or not the extended editions are being performed.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Whaaaa?  There are plans to do Live to Projection concerts for the EE cuts now?!?!?!????

Well it's on the official website and also on the website of the prodution : http://www.gdp.fr/uk/node/69838
Already booked my tickets past november so I hope it's right !

When I saw TTT in Dublin the program listed the DVD scenes from the Extended version of the film but it was of course the theatrical.

1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

When I saw TTT in Dublin the program listed the DVD scenes from the Extended version of the film but it was of course the theatrical.

The list of composition titles in the programmes is always a bit odd and doesn't match what is actually printed on the score.

11 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

The list of composition titles in the programmes is always a bit odd and doesn't match what is actually printed on the score.

Oh yeah, clearly someone copy and pasted from the Internet. 

1 hour ago, Jim Ware said:

I have just received confirmation from CAMI that these concerts are NOT the Extended Editions.

Sorry about my "ignorence" but, what is CAMI ? :) I'm a long time JW fan but not a long time member of JWFAN :P If proven true that would be quite disapointing… I've seen the production says on social media that it was indeed the extended cut :

Somewhere on this page : https://www.facebook.com/Le-Seigneur-des-Anneaux-ciné-concert-Paris-132967433495393/?fref=ts

Could you copy past here the response of the CAMI so I can ask the production ? 

@toothless, Jim was talking about the Toronto concerts, which is the subject of this thread.

He wasn't talking about the France concerts you're asking about.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

@toothless, Jim was talking about the Toronto concerts, which is the subject of this thread.

He wasn't talking about the France concerts you're asking about.

Oh ok ! I thought it was about the France concerts because of this post which was right after my post :unsure:

3 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Well, sorry for the flood then :) I did not even noticed that the thread had seen its name changed (it was more "generic" before right ?)

Actually, I'm confused now... maybe Jim WAS talking about your concerts, and not the Toronto ones?  We need two different threads to keep things straight!

I have edited my earlier post to clarify since these things often go off in several directions.

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

I have just received confirmation from CAMI that the PARIS concerts are NOT the Extended Editions.

CAMI are Columbia Artists Management Inc.  All LOTR Live to Projection concerts are ultimately managed by them.

OK thanks Jim, sorry I misunderstood your post!

To bring things back to the actual topic of this thread:

Is the Toronto concerts for FOTR the TC or EE cut?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is the Toronto concerts for FOTR the TC or EE cut?

Theatrical.  As far as I am aware, the Extended Editions have not been prepped for live to projection performance (yet).

Is that so much work? I assume the EE conductor scores exist already? I remember Doug saying the full scores were being engraved properly during CR and Book productions.

17 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

As far as I am aware, the Extended Editions have not been prepped for live to projection performance (yet).

That's what I would have thought!

14 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Is that so much work? I assume the EE conductor scores exist already? I remember Doug saying the full scores were being engraved properly during CR and Book productions.

Theatrical only.  It's a significant amount of work.

So I should create a new thread for the Paris concerts ? :)

@jim Could you please copy past here the response of the CAMI so I can show this to the production (via email or facebook) ? I mean, basicaly, they are selling something that do not even exists...

5 minutes ago, toothless said:

So I should create a new thread for the Paris concerts ? :)

@jim Could you please copy past here the response of the CAMI so I can show this to the production (via email or facebook) ? I mean, basicaly, they are selling something that do not even exists...

The producers of the concert in Paris will be contacted by CAMI very shortly.  Will PM you details.

Hi Doug :wave:

Will we have your silent movie book under our festivus poles this winter?

Also: I've been enjoying when you tweet images of John Williams and James Horner sheet music in recent times, keep it up! :up:

• 3 months later...

Enjoy KK! FotR was my first Live Projection concert and it was a fantastic experience! :)

I remember most strongly how flawless the performance of Tampere Filharmonia was. So wonderful was their playing that at times I forgot the orchestra was there and just focused on the film. I had to snap myself out of it a bit so I could keep my eye on the orchestra and what everyone was doing as that was a rare opporturnity to not only hear but to see this 200 strong ensemble creating this music.

Makes me wonder how well would these concerts do if they just played the 3 hour score without any visuals. Would people still attend or is this combination the attraction of it. Personally I would have preferred if they had lowered the sound effects and dialogue even more than they did in the concert and give the music a truly undisputed role for these performances. Especially when it is woven so closely with the narrative.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Without the film these concerts wouldn't be a success at all. Only of interest to a rare few.

Yes I fear that is the case.

The Rotterdam Phil sold out their 3 first Potter concerts so fast they scheduled the second film before the concerts of the first had even taken place. No way that would happen with a music only concert of these scores.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Rotterdam Phil sold out their 3 first Potter concerts so fast they scheduled the second film before the concerts of the first had even taken place. No way that would happen with a music only concert of these scores.

Probably not. Good for them though. For seeing the wisdom of performing this stuff. :)