TTT & ROTK Complete Recordings Speculation

Simply because it's not how the music was written or originally recorded. Splices and edits everywhere. Almost literally butchered - i.e. cut up in little pieces.

Doesn't bother me. It still sounds great.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you'd also like a Shakespearean play where some passages are cut out, others repeated ad libitum and several ones moved to entirely different and unrelated places, as long as the words sound nice?

But TPM UE isn't even close to the standards of these Complete Recordings.

It's the music from the movie in chronological order. So, to me it's the same thing.

Geez newbs :) Use the search button. The UE is one of the worse listening experience I've ever had. Not talking about the _quality_ of Johnny's work here, but the way it was presented. It's ages away from the RCA/Victor SE's and even further from the FOTR complete score. When you know how the real thing could have been, you'll understand!

Really man there must be something like 1 edit each about 30 seconds in the UE, on other times it's in rapid successions. Bars are looped, instruments are looped, passages are cut in drastic ways, stretches are everywhere, or slowed, and even worse is that there is pitch changes throughout the score its annoying

Geez newbs  :)    Use the search button.  The UE is one of the worse listening experience I've ever had.  Not talking about the _quality_ of Johnny's work here, but the way it was presented.  It's ages away from the RCA/Victor SE's and even further from the FOTR complete score.  When you know how the real thing could have been, you'll understand!

Further really?

LOTR has better liner notes, but there are some edits in there (shortening repeated measures, chorus being mixed lower, etc.

This is speaking edit-wise, of course a 2001 recording released 4 years after its recording sounds better than a 1977-1983 recording released after almost twenty years...

Geez newbs  ;)    Use the search button.  The UE is one of the worse listening experience I've ever had.  Not talking about the _quality_ of Johnny's work here, but the way it was presented.  It's ages away from the RCA/Victor SE's and even further from the FOTR complete score.  When you know how the real thing could have been, you'll understand!

Further really?

LOTR has better liner notes, but there are some edits in there (shortening repeated measures, chorus being mixed lower, etc.

I think both of those are incidental occurences, and approved by the composer.

Oddly enough, the TPM UE still has the credit Album Produced by John Williams on the back. :)

I guess you'd also like a Shakespearean play where some passages are cut out, others repeated ad libitum and several ones moved to entirely different and unrelated places, as long as the words sound nice?

Once more unto the more unto the more breach, dear English dead!

Once more unto the more unto the more breach, dear English dead!

That makes just a little bit less sense than when I first started reading Shakespeare. LOL

Like the FOTR set, the TTT end credits will not include the DVD fan scroll music since that music is already on the set in its proper place. No point in making people pay twice for the same music, right?

The two unused cues in the fan club credits will be restored to the proper places.

Mr. Lord of the Rings (II), Doug Adams, indicated that the 24th or the 31st should be good bets, since CDs are often being released on Tuesdays, but of course anything's possible.

Yes, you're right about that. At first it bothered me a little, but I found out very soon that the added material outweights the trimmed parts by a great length.

AND most important: the trimmings were done simply for a better listening experience, whereas TPM is all over the place either because Lucas late edits were so drastic that the score couldn't be re-recorded or because he didn't bother with it.

In any case, TPM UE should have corrected the hackslaying. Both Soundtracks have edits; it's just that with TPM it was lazyness, and with FOTR it was a bit of artistic freedom in favour of the listener.

FOTR was shortened by less than 40 seconds of sustained notes and some Isengart 5/4 percussion. Compared to TPM that's less than nothing.

Not to mention these changes were given green light by Shore himself.

Not that I've seen Fellowship for some time, but I've never noticed any difference between the film and the CR - so whatever edits they've made, they're good (although I won't go into the Khazad-dum issue).

Well, they trimmed the Isengart percussion and some sustained chords, like I said. But there are numerous occasions where there's more music. Weathertop and Amon Hen of course, but also in The Pass Of Caradhras and in the scene in which Saruman reveals the Palantir.

Nothing earthshattering of course, but some added bars here and there.