The Lord of the Rings Symphony

Salacius

Awesome films, great soundtracks,

Probably the best ever fantasy orientated film trilogy!!

Dunno why but the score didn't do it for me at the beginning but I got into it later on,

FOTR is my favourite out of all of them but I think too that HS has done a fantastic work!!

I was one of the lucky people to see him conducting the LOTR symphony in London with the original orchestra and Choir.

I was glad it was the original orchestra, it sounded exactly the same as the original recording,

Had a look at the Montreal SO's performance and it sounded totally different (as expected I suppose)

And even though I don't think Williams would have done them better I am still extremely curious to know what he would have done

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the lucky people to see him conducting the LOTR symphony in London with the original orchestra and Choir.

I was glad it was the original orchestra, it sounded exactly the same as the original recording,

Had a look at the Montreal SO's performance and it sounded totally different (as expected I suppose)

I am envious you got to hear the LPO and the original choirs 8O I wish Shore could have come here in Finland too but alas he did not come here on his tour. ;)

But I have a question to all here regarding the film music performed in concert in general. Do you prefer the music played exactly as it is heard on the soundtrack album or is there room for interpretation?

For me the performance does not have to be exactly like on the soundtrack but if they interpret a piece they should do it well. Most film music concerts I have been to have had few interesting interpretations like the FOTR and TTT suites (sans choir) that I heard a year ago. Most of the music has been faithful performances of the old classics like Raiders march (our Helsinki Philharmonics played it to perfection) or SW main title.

It is a totally different thing to interpret a piece and play a piece badly. Concerts that I have been to have had few of those fumble's like Across the Stars and Imperial March (actually a tricky piece of music to perform though it is seemingly a simple composition).

For me I don't mind the odd tempo shifts that make the performance different but I don't really like it when conductors change the tempo completely (especially when they slow down too much)

I have watched John Williams in London twice and one of the days I was in a perfect seat and it was an immaculate (as expected) performance all around. I surely didn't mind that night sounding exactly like the records 8O

I remember going to a LotR concert in Amsterdam, where apart from music from Shore's LotR, they also played some of Rosenman's and Johan de Meij's complete LotR symphony.

They added snare drums to Shore's music, which sounded odd, because Shore goes out of his way not to use snare drums (certainly not in a major noticable way) in these scores. Also, the soloist couldn't hold a pure note - she made them quiver as she sang them, which sounded very wrong for these songs.

Small quibbles though. I enjoyed the concert, the Concertgebouw is a great concert hall, and seeing Christopher Lee on stage was awesome.

In Antwerp the sound was relayed via speakers, as the Sportpaleis isn't really suited for classical performances. But the mixers screwed up a few time I think

Ask Steef for better insight in both these concerts.

- Marc

Thank you Marc.

I pretty much agree with Marc.

I enjoyed the amsterdam concert, but only a fraction of the music performed was Shore's.

The singing was misplaced, but the orchestral performance was outstanding, and the acoustics of the Concertgebouw did not dissapoint, neither did Dracula.

The Belgian concert, I found ultimatly dissapointing.

As Marc said the sound was fed over speakers, meaning that not once during the evening I heard a live orchestral performance, rather a poorly mixed live feed over gigantic BOSE speakers.

Also the Sportpalies was a HUGE stadium, so I was several hundred meters removed from the podium, I didn't see anything!

As for the symphony itself, it's very good for what it is, a condensed version of the 3 OST CD's (plus 2 or 3 at the time unreleased cues from FOTR).

I did however seriously dislike the way he cut off the climax from Bridge Of Khazad Dum.

I hope to one day hear this symphony again in a better enviroment.

Well you ought to be very happy. LOTR symphony came nowhere near Scandinavia :( Seeing Christopher Lee in the concert must have been great too.

I guess I have to start an e-mail harassment campaign to our Philharmonics so they would perform the Symphony here. :thumbup:

There were some talks back in 2002 or 2003 of reventually releasing it on CD along with the complete scores, but I think it's become sort of redundant now we actually will get the complete scores. If it comes out, I won't be buying it. Unless they find an excuse to slap the "bonus disc" on that one. :P

There were some talks back in 2002 or 2003 of reventually releasing it on CD along with the complete scores, but I think it's become sort of redundant now we actually will get the complete scores. If it comes out, I won't be buying it. Unless they find an excuse to slap the "bonus disc" on that one. :P

I'd say the best way to release this is as a DVD-Video of a live concert.

Marian - who'd buy it either way. ;)

:P Deep Blue (George Fenton)

They added snare drums to Shore's music, which sounded odd, because Shore goes out of his way not to use snare drums (certainly not in a major noticable way) in these scores.

The only instance I recall where he uses snare is the entrance of the Elven Army to the Hornburg. Very fitting use there, one of the most chilling scenes musically in the whole trilogy.

Well there is snare drum in FOTR in the scene where Boromir tries to take the Ring from Frodo and we hear the 3 notes figures heard in the Prologue. It is the back ground. Snare also is in the unused bit after that where Frodo sees the Barad Dûr from the Seat of Seeing on Amon Hen. And there are few other places but as Marc said they are not very noticeable.

Yeah, there's probably some snare drums in the score, but they definitely aren't as noticable as they were in Amsterdam. I also seem to recall they were added to the Fellowship theme, or am I imagining that? Steef?

• 1 month later...

lotr symphony recording  - anyone have it? secret recorder in thier clothes? or something? i mean we do have williams's horn concerto. maybe someone has shores lotr symph?

actually it already was performed back in mid 2005 at massey hall in TO and kitchener i believe it was:P. i missed it due to sold out tickets. damn.

I have it.

And no I'm not sharing.

:P

What's the quality like?

I'll redo it the way I did Davis' Matrix suite.... 8O