BloodBoal

The five for LotR are the same five from the original BR extended edition art. 

I I assume the Hobbit 5 is the same story. 

Tauriel was was very heavily used in marketing while the films were coming out. Now it appears they're brushing her under the carpet. 

Dang guys, Tolkien creation or not, Tauriel was one of the things that worked best for me.  About time we got to see a BAMF chick chopping orcs in these movies.  If they had taken Legolas out of the third movie entirely and given all of those fight scenes to Tauriel...mama mia.

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Would be about damn time!

Best thing you've said since your unsanctioned return, and possibly ever

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Dang guys, Tolkien creation or not, Tauriel was one of the things that worked best for me.  About time we got to see a BAMF chick chopping orcs in these movies.  If they had taken Legolas out of the third movie entirely and given all of those fight scenes to Tauriel...mama mia.

Worst thing you've said in your entire life (probably)

22 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like Tauriel. The love story isn't great though. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

There's also a 6-disc set coming out containing only the theatrical version of each film with no bonus discs

1000591958_BRDLEF_14b6640a.jpg (596×800)

1000591958_BRDBK_7da5bc02.jpg (628×800)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JH3KLJK

I guess that settles it in which chronological order the Hobbit films were conceived in relation to LotR.

Though some will still deny it because some stupid decisions were made.

1 minute ago, Fennel Ka said:

I will take these releases as a positive sign that WB thinks that Hobbit/Middle-Earth related stuff will sell.

That's a very positive, healthy stance to take.  I'll join you.  Cheers.

Peter Jackson's been sitting on more LOTR bonus features (such as proper deleted scenes) for over a decade now, yet WB keeps releasing only the 2002-2004 bonus features over and over again.  Hopefully one day that will change.....

Jackson added so much to LOTR in the extended versions, pretty much unchecked.  If the deleted scenes were any good, they would have been in there.  I'm not dying for it.  As a curiosity, I'd love to see some of the bigger stuff - Arwen at Helm's Deep mainly.  But with two well-over-feature-length documentaries and numerous commentaries for each 3+/4+ hour film, I'm kind of at capacity for LOTR stuff.

As for the Hobbit, I still haven't watched the features on DOS, and I haven't even opened my BOTFA extended version yet.  So I guess I'm not dying for those either.  Although in a heartbeat, I would purchase an "original version" 2-movie edit of The Hobbit, assuming that Jackson shot the requisite footage before the 3-movie choice was made, and assuming it would be postproduced properly.

Just getting to see a roughcut / workprint of the initial 2 film cut before the big decision changed everything would be neat.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

"Hobbit-style wood shelf".... What makes a shelf Hobbit styled?

The Bag End-styled window on the sides of the shelf obviously!

Someone in the comments section posted this (http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2016/08/17/101555-middle-earth-limited-collectors-edition-blu-ray-box-set-coming/)

I've heard from an industry insider that Peter Jackson and company proposed an elaborate series of new documentaries for this release, and Warner Home Video passed because they didn't want to pay for it.

That about sums Warner up. They expect us to pay out the ass for largely repackaged shit for little real outlay on their end. Moreover, it raises real concerns that we may never seen this fabled Ultimate edition boxset if this is their stance. I can only hope this individual is wrong, but it smacks of truth. What other occasion would Warner have to do another release of this, short of the 20th anniversary of FOTR? I could be dead by then.

2 minutes ago, Barnald said:

I've heard from an industry insider that Peter Jackson and company proposed an elaborate series of new documentaries for this release, and Warner Home Video passed because they didn't want to pay for it.

:(

7 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Someone in the comments section posted this (http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2016/08/17/101555-middle-earth-limited-collectors-edition-blu-ray-box-set-coming/)

That about sums Warner up. They expect us to pay out the ass for largely repackaged shit for little real outlay on their end. Moreover, it raises real concerns that we may never seen this fabled Ultimate edition boxset if this is their stance. I can only hope this individual is wrong, but it smacks of truth. What other occasion would Warner have to do another release of this, short of the 20th anniversary of FOTR? I could be dead by then.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, when you look at fucking idiots like yourself saying that if the set was around $200, you'd probably buy it (even though you already own all the material included in this set), they're right to expect that!

A touch disingenuous my good man, given that $200 is a huge way off from $800 (it is highly unlikely to ever drop to that price btw).

In any case, even if it drops to $100, I'm no longer buying it on principle. Fuck Warner (admittedly I'm too weak to boycott them completely, especially since they announced Salem's Lot on Blu-ray yesterday. But fuck this particular item).

I actually don't yet own LOTR on blu-ray, still just the original EE DVD sets.  I haven't bought them specifically because I was waiting on the inevitable box of all 6 movies.  This isn't the box set I was waiting for, so I'm not buying it at any price.  I can wait!

Another thing - I don't have a 3D player or TV so I'm not fussed, but for this price you would at least expect the sets to contain the 3D versions of The Hobbit films for those interested in such things.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I actually don't yet own LOTR on blu-ray, still just the original EE DVD sets.  I haven't bought them specifically because I was waiting on the inevitable box of all 6 movies.  This isn't the box set I was waiting for, so I'm not buying it at any price.  I can wait!

Well, that's what this one is for right?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=26539&content_commentid=1269079

Oh nevernind, I forgot that was theatrical only

20th anniversary of FotR is in 4 2/3 years.

Bar some unforeseeable accident, members on this board will be alive and well.

And by accident, I mean murder.

7 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

20th anniversary of FotR is in 4 2/3 years.

It's in 5 and 1/3 years...

It opened December 2001 so the 20th anniversary is December 2021.

OK. The set certainly looks very very nice.  I'd enjoy having it in my collection, it's certainly the definitive presentation of the EE films and all the old special features. 

But it's massively massively overpriced. 

Yep. 

They should have held back on putting all this effort into nice packaging until the version with more bonus features come out.  Now what are they gonna do when that finally happens?