The Return Of The King COMPLETE RECORDINGS 4CD set

sandman609

Looking forward to hearing all of these in only two months now! New press release just posted on howardshore.com!

"THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS

SET FOR RELEASE November 6, 2007 ON REPRISE/WMG SOUNDTRACKS"

5 discs - 4 CDs and one DVD

3 hours and 50 minutes of music total!

BURBANK, CA--(Marketwire - September 12, 2007) - Howard Shore's complete Oscar®-winning score for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," from the epic film trilogy "The Lord of the Rings," will be available for the first time in a deluxe five-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 6, 2007.

This historic release contains 3 hours and 50 minutes of music on four CDs, comprising the full score of the 2003 film. "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings" marks the third and final edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, liner notes written by Doug Adams, author of the forthcoming book "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," and features Annie Lennox performing the Oscar®-winning song "Into the West."

Composed for symphony orchestra, adult and children's choir, and soloists, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings" was performed by London Philharmonic Orchestra, The London Voices, The London Oratory School Schola featuring vocal performances by Annie Lennox, Renée Fleming, Sissel, Ben Del Maestro and cast members Billy Boyd, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, and Dominic Monaghan. The score also features solos performed by renowned flautist Sir James Galway.

The fifth disc is a DVD-Audio presenting the entire "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings" in Advanced Resolution Surround Sound, Advanced Resolution Stereo Sound, Dolby Digital Surround Sound, and Dolby Digital Stereo Sound.

"Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings" was released on December 13, 2005 and spent months in Amazon.com's top 100 Sales Ranking, garnering some of the best reviews of the year. "For fans of any of 'The Lord of the Rings' films, 'The Fellowship of the Ring/Complete Recordings' is an essential experience," said Heather Phares, All Music Guide. "'The Complete Recordings' is last year's most important archival soundtrack release, expanding and preserving one of the finest and most significant recent scores in all of film music. Shore's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy is an operatic symphony that is among the finest musical accomplishments of the last half-century. The plethora of unreleased material on this beautifully packaged edition is mouth-watering at the least, and the sonic dynamic achieved on the surround sound DVD of the entire 180-minute score is simply astonishing," said Randall Larson, Music From the Movies.

ADMIN NOTE:
Click HERE to jump to the reveal of the track list
Click HERE to jump to the reveal of the track TIMES

Click HERE to jump to the first soundclips
And click HERE to jump to when the first JWFanner received his set and actual discussion of the release begins!

Looking forward to hearing all of these in only two months now! New press release just posted on howardshore.com!

THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS

YES! I can't wait!!

THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS

5 discs, is that right!? We were told by Doug Adams himself it would be 4 CD's and 2 DVD's. Hmmm, maybe they over estimated that.

Edit: Okay 5 discs total... so they were able to fit the entire score on one DVD audio disc...alright hmmm...interesting.

Maybe I'm insane, but it seemed like some of the music in the extended edition replaced music in the theatrical. I.E. When Aragorn is fighting just before Legolas scales the elephant, or as Aragorn leads troops away from Minas Tirith and we see his Gondor armor for the first time.

They are slight differences, but in both cases I prefer the theatrical version. Can I assume these will be included on the CR?

none of the CR has the replaced cues, i think.

That's why the OSTs are still worthy...

THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS

YES! I can't wait!!

Expect some push back on the release date as with the other two...

Oh you never know, they might surprise us by being organised :blink:

And Luke's right - the OSTs are still valuable. I actually edited the choral section The Great River into The Fighting Uruk-Hai just before the 'Farewell to Lorien' section because I thought it worked really well.

none of the CR has the replaced cues, i think.

The Two Towers has two.

Do not be surprised if elements of the Return of the King Complete Recordings do not match up with either version of the film: there was a hell of a lot of re-editing going on during and after scoring.

Excellent news. Say, when does Doug Adams' The Music of the Lord of the Rings come out?

I think all we know now is that it will come out next year.

And we still have the rareties discs to come as well, so perhaps the theatrical cues that aren't on either the OST or the CRs will still be released.

I just found where Doug mentioned the above last week:

--Book / rarities discs on target for 2008… as of right now. I’d be surprised to see that change. Just pointing this out for those of you budgeting… ROTK will be released by itself this year.

That was on page 20 of the moviemusic.com thread:

http://www.moviemusic.com/mb/Forum1/HTML/015404-20.html

That's where Doug posts his updates.

Official press release on HowardsShore.com

Howard Shore’s complete Oscar-winning score for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, from the epic film trilogy The Lord of the Rings, will be available in a deluxe five-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 6, 2007.

This historic release contains 3 hours and 50 minutes of music on four CDs, comprising the full score of the 2003 film.

The fifth disc is a DVD-Audio presenting the entire The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King — The Complete Recordings in Advanced Resolution Surround Sound, Advanced Resolution Stereo Sound, Dolby Digital Surround Sound, and Dolby Digital Stereo Sound.

The press release mentions a contribution by Sissel. Could this mean Bilbo's Song will be part of this release?

I don't think she sung on any part of the original score, only the rescorings for the extended edition.

i'm not a big fan of ROTK, it just doesnt connect with me in the brilliant way FOTR did. it works well enough in the movie though and i believe that little cue of the Rohan theme which plays when Theoden agrees to help Aragorn isnt on the CD. i'd like to hear that.

There are several LOTR threads now, and since the releasedate for the ROTK CR has now been announced it seemed prudent to start a thread about that specifically so maybe the LOTR discussion will more centralized.

So, it's coming, nearly 1 and a half months away, the last one of a series of 3 releases that, production wise, stand way above any other treatment given by any modern filmscore.

I could start by asking the silly question of what piece you are most looking forward too, but I'd rather tell my own. Amidst the full Shelob's Lair, the Charge of the Rohirrim and the choral Fellowship theme there's always one piece I wanted to hear. It plays early in the film when, after having spend a night in a cave or some sort of shelter, Sam, Frodo and Andy Serkis set off again to Mordor. This piece restates the theme first played in Fellowship where Sam says that this is the farthest away from home he's ever been.

I don't know why, but I've always really loved that short snippet of music.

stand way above any other treatment given by any modern filmscore.

I'm not questioning the legitimacy of this statement, but I am curious as to what score(s) have been given a better release.

E.T. is incomplete and has the wrong versions for E.T. is Dying and Saying Goodbye.

Jaws has inferiour soundquality and is not in cronological order. Also the tracktitle list on the back of the CD has asterikses for music that is previously unreleased, while actually every note on that CD was unreleased.

Raiders is incomplete.

I deliberatly stated modern film scores, by which I ment stuff from the nineties and the naughties.

In that era, nothing comes even close.

I can't wait for the ROTK CC to be released! My favourite cue is the trolls smashing down the gate to the city of minas tirith, the power held in the presentation of the Mordor/Sauron theme gives me the shivers!

I can't wait for the ROTK CC to be released! My favourite cue is the trolls smashing down the gate to the city of minas tirith, the power held in the presentation of the Mordor/Sauron theme gives me the shivers!

So people do actually like that theme then? I've always disliked it. Don't get me wrong, it works great and I respect its effectiveness, but as a piece of music it is ugly to me.

Which may be the point, but I doubt that.

A catchy theme never did Darth Vader any harm and Sauron could have been as cool as Vader, if the book is anything to go by. But that's a different discussion.

I don't know why, but I've always really loved that short snippet of music.

I love the bleak statement of that motif (The Journey There) at the end of The Mirror of Galadriel. On The Return of the King, Shore seemed to make a conscious effort to revisit some of the less obvious motifs from the earlier films, such as this and the 'Caradhras' (Dangerous Passes) motif. Coupled with the recapitulation of all the Shire material in the finale it brings everything full circle.

I'm curious as hell what the unused music for Gollum's transformation sounds like.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't revisit the (curiously absent) Pity of Gollum material one last time. I'm also looking forward to the unused 'contrapuntal statement of all the ring themes' during the Mount Doom finale.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't revisit the (curiously absent) Pity of Gollum material one last time. I'm also looking forward to the unused 'contrapuntal statement of all the ring themes' during the Mount Doom finale.

Pity of Gollum is great. ("Forbidden Pool," WOW!) It really should have featured in the film somewhere. Its absence actually stuck out to me very clearly. It's like Return of the Jedi without Leia's theme - a slight difference, but an important one.

One which I'm looking forward to that hasn't been mentioned yet (I don't think) is the cue when the Rohirrim ride from Edoras.

The theme (I don't know the name) is first heard when Gandalf grabs the 'butterfly' in Fellowship and featured prominently during the Ents assault on Isengard.

Also, I'm looking forward to the version of the "Reclamation of Nature" theme as Theoden rides by, hitting the Rohirrim's spears w/ his sword. The entire film version of Pelanor Fields is the thing I'm looking forward to the most.

Really looking forward to the subtile rendition of Isengard's theme when Saruman (debateable) stands on the rests of his tower and gets killed.

There's too much for me to pull out individual moments and I'm not going to get very much work done on the day this is released (I've now left Uni for good, and will have started work by the time this is released).

I am however looking forward to the plethora of unreleased battle music. The material we got for Two Towers, especially the unused stuff, was sublime and there must be a treasure trove in RotK.

So people do actually like that theme then? I've always disliked it. Don't get me wrong, it works great and I respect its effectiveness, but as a piece of music it is ugly to me.

Which may be the point, but I doubt that.

A catchy theme never did Darth Vader any harm and Sauron could have been as cool as Vader, if the book is anything to go by. But that's a different discussion.

Yeh, I can understand what your saying about the catchy theme tune. But yeh, Sauron's theme is great I love it, I know its not a popular choice with the fans of the score, but I think its sooo Powerful!

I'm jealous that the Lord of the Rings scores are the best examples of film music done right.There, I said it.
film music done right?Didnt you mean 'film music release' done rigth?
Also, I'm looking forward to the version of the "Reclamation of Nature" theme as Theoden rides by, hitting the Rohirrim's spears w/ his sword. The entire film version of Pelanor Fields is the thing I'm looking forward to the most.
Misplaced as Yoda's in Bespin...Look people, this theme is mostly created fot the connection between the Gandalf, Moth and the Eagles.Dont forget the eagles in its description ;)

Look people, this theme is mostly created fot the connection between the Gandalf, Moth and the Eagles.

Wrong. If so, it wouldn't play at Amon Hen, it wouldn't play in TTT in the Orc Camp, not when the Rohirrim leave Edoras, and not when Theoden rallies his troops.

Look people, this theme is mostly created fot the connection between the Gandalf, Moth and the Eagles.

Wrong. If so, it wouldn't play at Amon Hen, it wouldn't play in TTT in the Orc Camp, not when the Rohirrim leave Edoras, and not when Theoden rallies his troops.

The three greater renditions are for Gwaihir saver gandalf (FOTR), the ents attack Isengard (TTT) and The eagles are coming (ROTK)

2 of 3 are eagle linked.

Anyway i just wanted to mention that people always forget the eagles in the description of the theme...(the moth is mentioned but it is only the messenger...)

I know its the nature reclamation theme anyway. I find its usage with the rohirrim cosmetical. Becasue heck its a very cool and moving theme.

Maybe the mentioned 'hope theme' name was not bad afterall (all the scenes are about some kind of hope or reinforcements...)

Thanks. The LOTR soundtrack site definitely needs to be updated with this news. Not to mention Amazon. ;)

I've been holding off on the set in the hopes they'll package all three into one set with the release of ROTK. If they don't announce that, I'll just get 'em separately.

I'm jealous that the Lord of the Rings scores are the best examples of film music done right.There, I said it.
film music done right?Didnt you mean 'film music release' done rigth?

No, I think Shore's approach (spartan attention, nuance, and care) was also right. The release is just the bow on the box.