The Return Of The King COMPLETE RECORDINGS 4CD set

sandman609

Chapters 7 to 9 will be exclusively dedicated to Doug Adams trying to further tie the Rohirrim to the Nature's Reclamation theme.

Ok I finally found time to listen to the ROTK Podcast. The early version of the Argonath is fascinating, I really didn't think Shore considered that melody as a dominant theme for Gondor at that point, but I guess I was wrong.

Having said that, I prefer the Ring Theme at that point, it's less obvious.

As for the rarities disc, what I hope is that it will perhaps contain a full version of The Prophecy, Shore's early version of FOTR's prologue. (I've always assumed the version on the OST is edited down like much of the music on the OST CD's)

As for the rarities disc, what I hope is that it will perhaps contain a full version of The Prophecy, Shore's early version of FOTR's prologue. (I've always assumed the version on the OST is edited down like much of the music on the OST CD's)

Not necessarily. The original "Prophecy" sequence was shorter than the film version ("Prologue"). However, it would be nice to hear "The Prophecy" remixed, muddy as it is on the OST.

The CRs definately sound better, though I don't have a real problem with the OSTs mixes.

The rarities disc will be nice, though I doubt I'd listen to it that often, as I said before the scores are so long as it is alternates really don't interest me. But I'm really looking forward to the book if for nothing else to have a hard copy of the annotated scores that are online right now, which I assume are going to be part of the book.

Yes they will be.

Like you I will probably not listen to a rarities disc. But once it excists....I wants it, I needs it.

After listening to all three CR releases multiple times in the last few weeks I finally discovered what it really is that draws me to these scores.

Roger Ebert briefly talks about the book in his review of The Fellowship Of The Ring.

Settling down with my book, the one-volume, 1969 India paper edition, I read or skimmed for an hour or so. It was as I remembered it. The trilogy is mostly about leaving places, going places, being places, and going on to other places, all amid fearful portents and speculations. There are a great many mountains, valleys, streams, villages, caves, residences, grottos, bowers, fields, high roads, low roads, and along them the Hobbits and their larger companions travel while paying great attention to mealtimes. Landscapes are described with the faithful detail of a Victorian travel writer. The travelers meet strange and fascinating characters along the way, some of them friendly, some of them not, some of them of an order far above Hobbits or even men. Sometimes they must fight to defend themselves or to keep possession of the ring, but mostly the trilogy is an unfolding, a quest, a journey, told in an elevated, archaic, romantic prose style that tests our capacity for the declarative voice.

Reading it, I remembered why I liked it in the first place. It was reassuring. You could tell by holding the book in your hands that there were many pages to go, many sights to see, many adventures to share. I cherished the way it paused for songs and poems.

This is precisely the reasons why I love the book, and why I love the scores.

There is so much in them, both subtle and obvious, 80 themes and motives, an orchestral sound design for pretty much every culture or species encountered, yet all are part of a greater musical whole, and it's so long. One can listen to Master Peregrin's Plan on TTT and be comforted that even though one has listened to so much music already, there is so much still ahead.

And once the last strains of Bilbo's Song finish, you feel like you have truly been on a journey, not always easy, not always comforting, but very rewarding in the end.

While listening to all four discs for the first time I never once felt overwhelmed or daunted by the length or felt like I was getting lost, it all felt so natural and has a great flow.

And now having all three complete scores, my appreciation for them has definately shot up. I still don't think they're perfect, and I won't even start comparing them to Williams or anyone else as that not fair at all. I have no need to start judging Williams vs. Shore vs. Goldsmith etc. Shore had a definate plan and style in mind, he stuck to it unwaveringly throughout all three plus years, and delivered one hell of a great product.

Yes that is why there are few like us that are wise when it comes to film scores.

Anybody have any idea when that book of Doug's is coming out?

In about a year.

Gee, really? :o Why so late? I thought he had it more or less already written by the time the last CR came out ... I was hoping I could already buy it during my visit to London one month from now. :( On the other hand, it seems kind of logical - LotR CR in 2005, TT CR in 2006, RotK CR in 2007 and Music of the LotR Films book in 2008. :(

Remember all good things come to those who wait. :)

hey got mine today... preordered it ne month ago at Amazn Marketplace... for only 40$

... about 27€

it's new and sealed.. and just perfect I can't believe it I think I saved about 50-60 Dollars wheee *happy* :-)

This finally arrived today, from Screenarchives. Listening to it now. Superb.

Btw, anybody have one of these two issues (been unable to check it myself yet)?

"Grond": see here or here.

"The Chalice Passed": see here.

Anyone know were I can listen to the part of Wagner's Ring Cycle that Shore's final coda of the end credits is an homage too?

It's the end of Gotterdamerung - the last opera. If you have a cd set from it is the last track, the last few minutes.

Me too. very relaxing.

I like the song at the end too - absolutely beautiful use of the main theme.

I found it jarring...

Marc. You did get the CR first and you havent read the annotated score yet?

shame on you... :lol:

I haven't even read the Annotated Score yet.

For shame!

I actually haven't in full either, just checked it for a few cues that I had questions on. I'm waiting for the book.

Has anyone attempted to recreate the scenes that had the score altered or removed yet? I'm particuarly interested in the Smeagol/Deagol fight with the original score, if anyone's going to tackle it.

In case anyone's interested, there's several minor theatrical/extended alternates taken from the video game that are worth having. (I have them in flac/mp3 - PM me if you want them)

They include the alternate section just before Legolas takes down the Mumakil, the uninterrupted fanfare as Sam climbs up to Cirith Ungol (EE had the insert of the orc taking the vest) and the slower, theatrical version of all of them riding from Minas Tirith near the end.

I'm cynical about these being on the rarities disc because they're all very brief differences but I still think they're important to have.

In case anyone's interested, there's several minor theatrical/extended alternates taken from the video game that are worth having. (I have them in flac/mp3 - PM me if you want them)

They include the alternate section just before Legolas takes down the Mumakil, the uninterrupted fanfare as Sam climbs up to Cirith Ungol (EE had the insert of the orc taking the vest) and the slower, theatrical version of all of them riding from Minas Tirith near the end.

I'm cynical about these being on the rarities disc because they're all very brief differences but I still think they're important to have.

well the rarities disc will probably be 2 stereo DVDs (no 5.1 mix)

A lot of music fits there...

I haven't even read the Annotated Score yet.

For shame!

I actually haven't in full either, just checked it for a few cues that I had questions on. I'm waiting for the book.

Has anyone attempted to recreate the scenes that had the score altered or removed yet? I'm particuarly interested in the Smeagol/Deagol fight with the original score, if anyone's going to tackle it.

Jim Ware has a few of them up on YouTube. Here:

Roots and Beginnings - Part 1

Roots and Beginnings - Part 2

Minas Morgul & Shelob's Lair

The Houses of Healing

The Destruction of the Ring

DVDs? First time I've heard that... I doubt they'd do that. Or did you just mean CDs?

DVDs? First time I've heard that... I doubt they'd do that. Or did you just mean CDs?

Mmm, i suppose then that nobody noticed that at FSM, in this thread here Doug Adams posted a link to his blog?

The Music of the Lord of the Rings blog

If you look into the FAQ:

Q: Are CDs being bundled with the book?

A: We are planning for the book to come with 1 or 2 multimedia discs. Storage space will determine the number of discs. These discs will contain analytical material as well as The Lord of the Rings Rarities Archives. The Archives will house the unused music from LOTR (alternate compositions, alternate takes, synth mock-ups, session footage, etc.)

Q: Are the disc(s) available separately?

A: No, the disc(s) will only be available with the book. The disc(s) are intended very much as an extension of the book, and aren't assembled as "albums" per se. Without context, it's very difficult to understand just what the material is meant to illustrate.

Q: What format will these disc(s) be in?

A: DVD. We'll need the storage space for the very large amount of music we intend to include. We're also looking in to including video material as well as secondary audio tracks with commentary. Only DVDs can handle material of this type while remaining accessible to the general audience. (Which is why Blu-ray Discs, etc. are not being considered.)

Q: What sound format will be used for The Rarities Archive?

A: 2-channel stereo, as of right now. Again, a 5.1 presentation means we lose a considerable amount of storage space and you get to hear less music.

Q: How solid is all of the above?

A: Everything is always subject to change, but as of late 2007, this is a pretty accurate representation of where we stand.

I doubt it. It will be an interactive disc, with videos, samples (themes, passages, instruments, etc) and things like that, and supposed to be heard while reading the book when prompted(sp?).

It will not be mutiformat, as is said in the FAQ, because that takes space, space worth for music.

Does anyone agree that In The Siege Of Gondor track in the last 2 minutes of the track its some of the most powerful brass you've ever heard, I keep putting it on It still blows me away everytime, ive been dying to hear a version of sauron's theme played that powerful ever since I watch Fellowship Of The Ring :)

I have one question about the movie.

Does anyone know if the Gandalf saves the gondorian from the osgiliath invasion scene was supposed in the beginning to be placed just when gandalf arrived with pippin to Minas tirith?

As is right now, he makes a roundabout instead of going straigth to the soldiers, and he joins them from the flank (the same side gandalf sees to arrive to minas tirith). Gandalf is shown leaving by the Minas tirith front door, and the soldiers are going straight to the same door.

I notice it because pippin is there and, why would gandalf bring along pippin to a very dangerous battle like that?

I though this was a difference between theatrical and EE, but its the same in both.

I don't really care that much about sound quality. I've never listened to the CR DVDs, I'm just interested in the new music.

But enjoy it I shall!