The Return Of The King COMPLETE RECORDINGS 4CD set

sandman609

Since it's one of the best themes from the trilogy...it deserves it.

On a side note, anybody knows (maybe it is explained on the DVD commentaries) why the font used in the movies for 'the lord of the rings' is different from the one in all every other merchandise?

On a side note, anybody knows (maybe it is explained on the DVD commentaries) why the font used in the movies for 'the lord of the rings' is different from the one in all every other merchandise?

Christian Rivers: "The actual Lord of the Rings logo was thrown together in the last week before all the effects shots were locked."

Rick Porras: "So essentially what happened was, we were working with another title company and we were running out of time. Peter was scoring in London and then just coming back and we just found ourselves cutting it down to the wire, so Pete decided that we should just have our own little internal design team quickly put something together and Alan Lee came in and Sacha Lees who's over at WETA Physical."

Christian Rivers: "The workshop."

Rick Porras: "She is a graphic artist and she came up with the Wingnut Films, New Line and the end cards."

Richard Taylor: "Now only three weeks out from the end Peter threw a really curly one at us. Some titles had been produced in America, but they weren't quite right, so he asked, could we please pull something out of the bag? Thankfully, Sacha Lees, accompanied by Alan Lee, undertook the task. Sacha went in and hand-drew an alphabet with the pen and then generated the complete alphabet on the computer where Alan through illustrative and Photoshop exercises went on and created the Lord of the Rings title and ended up producing something that Peter was much happier with."

Just got this set, and it is wonderful, as expected (though I do find it a bit dissapointing, albeit understandable, that you have to flip the DVD)

Does anyone know if the annotated score is available online for download yet, as with the other releases?

Also, this may be nitpicking, but aside from "Bilbo's Song" it seems that NONE of these releases have any of the music which plays over the "fan club" credits on the extended DVD's, which would seem to make the releases a little less than complete (I imagine, however, that all these cues are available elsewhere on the discs).

Otherwise, this disc represents the completion of the finest presentations of one of the greatest soundtracks in modern film history.

I can't for the life of me understand why people actually want MORE of the edit jobs that can be found in the current end credit suites.

If I want to hear "Twilight and Shadow", I'll listen to, guess what, "Twilight and Shadow", and not to the fan club credits edit-job.

What do you mean, it makes the CRs "less than complete"? These things are called "Complete Recordings", and all recordings are there; gargantuan appendixes of reused stuff are redundant and would make it a less than ideal listening experience.

Christian Rivers: "The actual Lord of the Rings logo was thrown together in the last week before all the effects shots were locked."

Rick Porras: "So essentially what happened was, we were working with another title company and we were running out of time. Peter was scoring in London and then just coming back and we just found ourselves cutting it down to the wire, so Pete decided that we should just have our own little internal design team quickly put something together and Alan Lee came in and Sacha Lees who's over at WETA Physical."

Christian Rivers: "The workshop."

Rick Porras: "She is a graphic artist and she came up with the Wingnut Films, New Line and the end cards."

Richard Taylor: "Now only three weeks out from the end Peter threw a really curly one at us. Some titles had been produced in America, but they weren't quite right, so he asked, could we please pull something out of the bag? Thankfully, Sacha Lees, accompanied by Alan Lee, undertook the task. Sacha went in and hand-drew an alphabet with the pen and then generated the complete alphabet on the computer where Alan through illustrative and Photoshop exercises went on and created the Lord of the Rings title and ended up producing something that Peter was much happier with."

Many thanks.

If you can help me, i didnt understood the last paragraph well. PJ, after seeing the film's titles didnt like it that much and asked for the other font (the merchandise one) to be created, or it is the other way arround?

I do however like the alternate Breaking of the Fellowship cue at the end.

It'll probably be on the rarities disc.

If you can help me, i didnt understood the last paragraph well. PJ, after seeing the film's titles didnt like it that much and asked for the other font (the merchandise one) to be created, or it is the other way arround?

No, the logo we finally see in the film itself was created and designed in the last three weeks of production on FotR.

Whether the alternate titles were actually the same as the ones used for posters and merchandise, I don't know.

Notice also that the poster logos went through a minor change between FotR and TTT. The FotR ones were flat, the later ones were not.

Notice also that the poster logos went through a minor change between FotR and TTT. The FotR ones were flat, the later ones were not.

I have one american poster (given at cinemas) from FOTR at the time of release, and it has 3D logo. The OST covers are another matter.

Thanks for clarifying anyway :unsure:

I just got my copy today. The whole thing doesn't start very promising. There is all the same padding that plagued TTT in particualar. But halfway through, when Shore music blazes in all its glory, it shifts drastically and becomes quite a knockout. I'm really impressed by the last two CD's. It's just a pity you have to wait 8 hours to get there. For me at least it looks that way.

Karol, not a Shore or LOTR fan.

THis has nothing to do with the CR, but does anybody know what James Gallway had to do with the LOTR scores? I've seen him credited sevral times along with Howard Shore.

He's the only non-vocal 'guest' solo. Probably just grouping them together.

On another note, I don't think we need much more evidence of how much they have screwed up this release. Amazon UK's listing has now changed to 'not in stock and we don't know if it will ever be'. Play.com doesn't have it even listed, HMV has no artwork, has the very first release date, 7 day delivery.....meh....

I am still waiting as well. And my order was shipped on the 14th! How slow can the postal service be?!!!

I'm surprised you still don't have it, Steef. Must suck.

I know someone bought a copy at MediaMarkt Enschede on the 16th, so they're apparently in stores here already as well.

How odd.

I'm sure they are.

Just not in any FRS in Amsterdam.

Or Media Markt in Amsterdam

Or Bijenkorf in Amsterdam

Even Fame let me down man!

I already know what is going to happen. I'm gonna order it at Bol.com and then have 2 copies.....