The Music Of The Lord Of The Rings Films - Doug Adams' Book & Rarities Archive

John Takis

9 hours ago, Barnald said:

Perhaps it is encouraging that at one point Doug was consistently promising news of a re-pressing of complete recordings and until now it has not materialized. Maybe they changed tact and decided to do something different instead?

I wouldn't be surprised if reissues are coming that simply contain the existing 3 / 4 CD sets in standard 4CD jewel cases, without the DVDs and fancy packaging and with the liner notes reconfigured for standard jewel case booklet size.  Of course I'd love it if they redid FOTR to use the full session cues instead of the film edits/tracking, but it just doesn't seem likely to me.  For one thing Doug's book would no longer make sense when he talks about History of the Ring being in Keep It Simple, Keep It Safe and Conspiracy Unmasked, ignores the amazing development of Seduction of the Ring that would now be in Parth Galen, etc.

I doubt the publishing company that published his book would spend the money to press a version because some CD music changed

8 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

The Music of the Lord of the Rings Film, Second Edition. Featuring additional rarities content!

Alas only in our fevered dreams.

Doug can save the amendments for the omnibus edition, 'The Complete Music of the LOTR and Hobbit Films', with yet more rarities unearthed from the archives. First 100 copies come with a Conrad Pope nasal hair.

It actually does make sense to eventually revise the LOTR book to include discussion of all the other recorded music that didn't make the old Complete Recordings releases, and also to talk about material that took on a new context when it was reprised in The Hobbit scores.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'll alway cherish my copy of the book not only because its from the first print run, but because I bought it in New York City at a release event for the book, got it signed by both Doug Adams and Howard Shore, and had dinner with them as well as John Takis and Jim Ware that day.

That's all fine and good and all, but it doesn't quite compete with a bookmark I'm afraid.

As a fellow first-print buyer, I must say I'm beyond outraged that I have been deprived of this wonderful keepsake. Doug should personally mail bookmarks to all those who bought the first run of his book by way of apology. If he wants to include a few CDs containing all unreleased LOTR and Hobbit material along with said bookmark he will be completely forgiven.

7 minutes ago, Barnald said:

That's all fine and good and all, but it doesn't quite compete with a bookmark I'm afraid.

As a fellow first-print buyer, I must say I'm beyond outraged that I have been deprived of this wonderful keepsake. Doug should personally mail bookmarks to all those who bought the first run of his book by way of apology. If he wants to include a few CDs containing all unreleased LOTR and Hobbit material along with said bookmark he will be completely forgiven.

Isn't the bookmark one of those ribbons? 

17 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Didn't the first-print one come with a ribbon? I don't have the book to hand right now so can't recall

Mine certainly didn't

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

No thank you!

"And now you can hear a threatening rendition of Thorin's theme as the Nazgûl are about to attack the poor Hobbits at Weathertop..."

Hahaha! I didn't mean that, but more like the music for Gandalf's Fireworks, Elven Healing, Bree, and isn't there some connection with the music that plays when Gandalf looks at Bilbo's map to Hobbit material?

On 8/12/2016 at 4:45 PM, Jay said:

What cue is this referring to?  Sammath Naur?  Or something that didn't make the final Rarities CD?  

You'd have to ask Doug, but I'm almost positive he meant "Sammath Naur." In any case, it certainly sums up my feelings about the track. Loved it then, loved it now! I wound up editing a good deal of it into the CR track so I wouldn't have to choose. :)

Did you edit it in a way that removes some of the CR track to use Sammath Naur stuff instead, or is it like a mega-edit with both versions?

I personally edited the CR Mount Doom track into the Rarities choir cue, then shortened the clean ending and had it go into the Crack of Doom track.

If I recall, I use (1) the CR up to the start of the big Gondor Reborn fanfare for the fall of the Dark Tower; (2) cut to the Rarities track for the equivalent fanfare with semi-clean ending (around 6:12-6:29); (3) loop back to around 2:44 of the Rarities track (it's in the same key) and let it play up to that fanfare moment; (4) cut back to the CR version of the fanfare and let the track play out from there. The effect is to suspend the moment of Sauron's fall to weave in that extended, operatic unraveling of the Ring theme.

Nothing that would probably be of much interest here. I once tried looping the passage of the Argonath bit to have both Gondor and Ring versions in one track, but the success of that one is debatable. :P

Did a similar thing. Well, I didn't exactly edited the Kali Ma bit in the CR track, what I did was simply this: I included everything from the beginning of the CR track to the Kali Ma moment in the Rarities track -> cut to the Kali Ma moment in the Rarities track up until the end of that track.

I never post because I never have anything to say but I'm always making edits of LOTR stuff so I thought I could chime in here.

On 18/08/2016 at 6:19 PM, John Takis said:

If I recall, I use (1) the CR up to the start of the big Gondor Reborn fanfare for the fall of the Dark Tower; (2) cut to the Rarities track for the equivalent fanfare with semi-clean ending (around 6:12-6:29); (3) loop back to around 2:44 of the Rarities track (it's in the same key) and let it play up to that fanfare moment; (4) cut back to the CR version of the fanfare and let the track play out from there. The effect is to suspend the moment of Sauron's fall to weave in that extended, operatic unraveling of the Ring theme.

I've done a different edit that fulfils a similar purpose for me. I use CR up to the end of Mount Doom but switch to the Rarities (2:44) at that point. Then I let it run all the way to the Destruction of the Ring theme (in fact I edited a few bars out of the choral/cello section because I felt like it went on a bit too long and killed the momentum) but as that climactic moment is fading (i.e. 6:23ish), I actually cut to the CR right around 0:30 of The Crack of Doom, which works surprisingly well, and let it run from there. So we've basically done the same thing in a different order (though admittedly I've lost 30 seconds of The Crack of Doom). Your way sounds interesting too! Might have to try that out.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Out of curiosity,  have you done any other interesting edits for these scores?

Funny you should ask :P 

The thing I'm most pleased with is my amalgamation of Prologue material, which I did partly because I love the feel of the Rarities/OST version but sorely miss the History of the Ring theme. It's been interesting to read the discussion over in the other thread about this piece - I assumed that first bit of the OST from 1:27 that wasn't in Rarites was an alternate to the Gondor stuff (which I don't really think fits personally, but I might have to rethink if we ever get the full take).

Not following Jay's advice to prefer the OST to TRA, I did something like:

TRA 0:00-0:49

FOTR-CR 0:37-1:25 (slipping in the History of the Ring - a tricky edit but it worked!)

TRA 0:57-1:54

FOTR-OST 1:27-2:06 (replacing the Gondor stuff with the bit that wasn't actually an alternate...)

FOTR-CR 2:40-2:49 (artificially segueing the OST material into Footsteps of Doom or whatever the drums motif is called)

TRA 2:19-4:24 (including the reprisal of the opening section with added cello)

FOTR-CR 4:05-End (from the re-appearance of the History theme - works really well as a segue! - and including all the Isildur stuff etc)

It ends up 8:37 long and is currently my preferred intro to Middle Earth. I might have to reconsider if/when we get the full take of the Rarities piece...

I've done other fun edits where I've included alternates alongside each other. I don't remember what they all are because I'm so used to hearing them that way... Things like inserting bits of the OST version of the Fellowship leaving Lorien into the CR material, or pasting a bit of the Rarities version of the Rohirrim leaving Dunharrow into the CR. The entire choral piece from Emyn Muil, only partly represented on the CR, can sit nicely alongside the majority of the film version.

9 hours ago, John Takis said:

Nothing that would probably be of much interest here. I once tried looping the passage of the Argonath bit to have both Gondor and Ring versions in one track, but the success of that one is debatable. :P

Yeah I tried that, definitely doesn't work for me!

7 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

I edited the KALI MAAAA bit into the CR version of Night Camp.

Me too

As an aside, I couldn't really do a lot of my fun edits without the resources I've found through this website. Might as well take this opportunity to say massive thanks to Faleel, Jim Ware, Jay, Bloodboal, etc. for all the cool stuff here. Oh and Doug too of course if he's around :D

8 hours ago, John Takis said:

Yea a good edit of that doesn't seem likely. 

Boy you guys like that Eaves of Fangorn passage a lot, I'll have to check it out again. 

1 hour ago, Shoreboy said:

I never post because I never have anything to say but I'm always making edits of LOTR stuff so I thought I could chime in here.

I'm sure you have more to say than you think! 

The thing I'm most pleased with is my amalgamation of Prologue material, which I did partly because I love the feel of the Rarities/OST version but sorely miss the History of the Ring theme. It's been interesting to read the discussion over in the other thread about this piece - I assumed that first bit of the OST from 1:27 that wasn't in Rarites was an alternate to the Gondor stuff (which I don't really think fits personally, but I might have to rethink if we ever get the full take).

Not following Jay's advice to prefer the OST to TRA, I did something like:

TRA 0:00-0:49

FOTR-CR 0:37-1:25 (slipping in the History of the Ring - a tricky edit but it worked!)

TRA 0:57-1:54

FOTR-OST 1:27-2:06 (replacing the Gondor stuff with the bit that wasn't actually an alternate...)

FOTR-CR 2:40-2:49 (artificially segueing the OST material into Footsteps of Doom or whatever the drums motif is called)

TRA 2:19-4:24 (including the reprisal of the opening section with added cello)

FOTR-CR 4:05-End (from the re-appearance of the History theme - works really well as a segue! - and including all the Isildur stuff etc)

It ends up 8:37 long and is currently my preferred intro to Middle Earth. I might have to reconsider if/when we get the full take of the Rarities piece...

That sounds interesting!

As an aside, I couldn't really do a lot of my fun edits without the resources I've found through this website. Might as well take this opportunity to say massive thanks to Faleel, Jim Ware, Jay, Bloodboal, etc. for all the cool stuff here. Oh and Doug too of course if he's around :D

Yes,  this place is great! :up:

@Jim Ware is the statement of  the Isengard theme after the choral arrival of the Riders of Rohan actually part of that piece or is it part of the theatrical version of Ugluk's Warriors like I suspect?

• 1 month later...

'Green light' to publish? I assume Doug has already written a fair chunk of it, based on various hints. This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, the further time passes since the last Hobbit film.

I'll buy it

I'm more curious what happened to Doug's Silent Movies book.  He first talked about it FOUR years ago on that Hobbit podcast that came out after the first film.  It seemed like the release was kinda imminent at the time, but then for the next 2 years they had to keep asking him about it with each new Hobbit podcast with no real update, and now its another 2 years later and there's no release date or anything...

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This seems like a reasonably appropriate thread for this.  Move it where you like if there's a better one.  The Tolkien subforum is a labyrinth.

Please move this to the #grumble forum.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Maybe, just like Shore, Doug is being replaced on each and every project he was working on.

You mean Conrad Pope's finally going to bring us the real sordid story of these scores? I don't know how he fits it all in.