The Music Of The Lord Of The Rings Films - Doug Adams' Book & Rarities Archive

John Takis

Has someone got a link to the complete cue list and is it meant to be on his blog site?

I don't think so.

No there is no complete cue list available for these scores. The above posts about the complete cue list were obviously a joke. :P

And I would not get my hopes up on Shore or Mr. Adams releasing a cue list any time soon. Unless they release the original sheet music for study some day.

• 1 year later...

Doug has finally posted on his LOTR blog. The three main points are:

1. The LOTR:CRs might actually be OOP - he's not sure.

2. He has no idea if ROTK: Live To Projection will ever happen at RCMH

3. He can't give any hints about any other upcoming Live To Projection shows

Full post:

http://www.musicoflotr.com/2013/06/the-great-unknowns.html

That's disappointing. The Radio City events were some of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had. I actually saw Shore during the Fellowship...it was just me and him standing by the bar. Couldn't bring myself to do the whole "big fan" schpeel.

Definitely one of my more boring posts! Sorry ... I'll try to improve later this fall. :)

D

Doug has finally posted on his LOTR blog. The three main points are:

1. The LOTR:CRs might actually be OOP - he's not sure.

2. He has no idea if ROTK: Live To Projection will ever happen at RCMH

3. He can't give any hints about any other upcoming Live To Projection shows

Full post:

http://www.musicoflotr.com/2013/06/the-great-unknowns.html

We trust you to report something when there is something to report. :)

• 1 month later...

There are fragments of an alternate of Roots and Beginnings there and some other stuff but I believe those are partial sections, not entire cues. Is it worth trying to to isolate them from those interview/discussion tracks?

There are fragments of an alternate of Roots and Beginnings there and some other stuff but I believe those are partial sections, not entire cues.

Quite right. It's just a short alternate opening for "Roots and Beginnings" and a piece that Faleel has labeled as an intermediate version of "Frodo's Song." How worthwhile these two pieces are to you is purely subjective, but Fal used both pieces in his edit of the score and I saw that as an indication that ripping them may not be too difficult. I have not heard Faleel's versions of these cues however, I just assumed that he was fairly content with his edits given their inclusion in his "complete archival scores" which have been shared elsewhere on the internet.

You can't remove the voices in a satisfying way.

Maybe you guys can't, but I can! ;)

BTW, is the End credits on the TTT OST Shore's original intentions? or just an edit.. Jim Ware? Doug Adams?

• 1 year later...

No, I mean actual orchestra recorded tracks, for instance:

Prologue- One Ring To Rule Them All: The Nameless Fear section is microedited down like on the CR, the OST track has this section unedited like in the film.

Flight to the Ford: is missing the beginning obviously

The Argonath: the Uruk-Hai theme statement is edited down, the bit for Leggy and Lurtz is snipped out.

Arwen's Song: the opening from the CR track is not in the Rarities track, I dunno if it was added in when the track was repurposed for the Houses of Healing or not though.

The Eaves of Fangorn: The "What do your elf eyes see" bit is not on the Rarities track, I dunno if its an edit or not though. There is a bit of music edited out at 3:20.

Anduril Flame of the West: I believe the statement of the Minas Tirith (Silver Trumpets) from the OST is edited out. the music for Aragorn and Eowyn is edited out, and so is a bit of low rumbling music right before 3:13. The Dwimorberg music is not there, perhaps because of an earlier cut.

Sammath Naur: Obviously the Seduction of the Ring/Meta-Ring theme section is not included. I speculate that the 6:10 would segue to the Gondor Reborn/Gandalf's Farewells section of "The Crack of Doom" but I am not sure on this.

I know the Gondor one sounds goofy as heck, But I love it.

I also love the Shire one, wish the part at 1:33 had made it into the final score!

The percussion rythm in that mockup does appear during "The Sacrifice of Faramir"/"The Steward of Gondor", "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"/"The Fields of Pelennor" and "The Pyre of Denethor" though.

One of my favourite gems from the Rarities archive is the alternate of "Flight to the Ford". That choral chanting at the end is epic!

No, the Highlight is the original Sammath Naur, followed by the Gondor Theme in the prologue.

Honourable mentions to:

The Argonath (Alternate)

Merry's Simple Courage (Alternate)

To Rivendell (Alternate)

The Eaves of Fangorn - Vaaaaliiiiiimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr!!

Emyn Muil (Alternate) - this one kind of reminds me of a cue from Super Metroid.

Frodo's Song V2.

Oh BTW, the Isengard theme statement right after the Valimaaaar outburst is EXACTLY the same as the Theatrical version of Ugluk's Warriors (but without choir), which leads me to believe that it IS a part of the theatrical version of that cue, and NOT meant for the arrival of the Riders of Rohan during the Night-camp battle scene. but I do not know for sure.

No no no, the highlight is the Frodo's Song demo and the two discussion tracks at the end.

It is "Valimar" you heathens! Stop messing with the Tolkienites and their OCD for proper Quenya and Sindarin!

No no no, the highlight is the Frodo's Song demo and the two discussion tracks at the end.

Fun fact, the unreleased intro and first few seconds for the Galway version is actually heard in Use Well The Days.

I really enjoyed those discussion tracks but I wish they were longer. I wish there was a good decent interview with Shore talking about these scores in detail.

Yeah that is one of things I look forward to in the DoS the most. After the new scenes of course, perhaps. ;)

Yeah that is one of things I look forward to in the DoS the most. After the new extended bits of score of course, perhaps. ;)

fixed ;)

BTW is final version of The Houses of Healing an actual revised composition or an edit?

I'm sure Jim Ware will enlighten us!

EDIT: OK, so I relistened to the track. The end definitely sounds like an edit to me.

I think what Shore probably did was record a new intro and ending after Arwen's Song was moved to ROTK, but Arwen's Song itself was not rerecorded.

Doesn't the Rarities have the full untouched TTT Arwen's Song recording?

Yes.

The reason I posted the above, is because I did my Score Restore video, and there was a short few seconds between the Edoras scene, and the beginning of Arwen's Song that were unscored, and I thought the intro from the Houses of Healing scene might be edited out, but it was too long when I tried to put it back in, proving it to be a new intro, recorded for the Houses of Healing version.