The Music Of The Lord Of The Rings Films - Doug Adams' Book & Rarities Archive

John Takis

Ere iron was found or tree was hewn

When young was mountain under moon;

Ere ring was made, or wrought was woe,

It posed in forests long ago.

And as this might have been inundated in some of the myriad Tolkien threads on this board, I repost it here:

In other (old) news, remember how John Howe was set to provide an original piece of art for The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films book but it in the end the idea fell through. Doug Adams mentions this in 2009 on his blog.

Well I found the piece titled Melkor's Theme (it is the genuine John Howe piece if you are wondering) in the boundless seas of internet and it looked like this:

Melkor_%2527s+Theme+b%2526w+small+copy.J

In retrospect as fine a sketch as it is (it was released if I remember correctly alongside one of the map of Middle Earth illustrated by Howe) Melkor's Theme would have very little connection to the book apart from the fact that it does depict Morgoth's part in the creation of the world, which was done through music and discord he sew into it. And as nice it would have been to have original art work for The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films I personally might have preferred something closer to the actual story. The book already features dozens of sketches by both Alan Lee and John Howe but something done specifically for the book relating to Lord of the Rings would have been fantastic, perhaps even in the similar vein as that sketch above but with moments and characters from LotR.

Hom-hoom, so that was it. The rights issues on any big franchise must be too convoluted and difficult to understand considering the artist would have allowed it. But this is a well known fact also in the film music world where labels often have to delve into a whole mountain of legal issues concerning the rights and who owns the music and can they license it.

Ah yes of course Silmarillion was never part of the rights Tolkien sold so it is outside their purview. So does that comment by Doug about Melkor refer to the above image?

Sadly Howe didn't have time to do a LotR related image for the book then. No rights issues would have risen from that. But then again there is a great deal of his art in the book already. Alan Lee specifically drew the eagles for the cover if I remember correctly when a suitable image could not be found.

And the frontispiece is used opposite of the title page so Howe's work would have been used there. To use such an image on the cover would have been oddity of oddities.

• 9 months later...

The first minute or so is so definitively Tolkien-esque. It just sounds like Middle-Earth. Shame there was no use for it in the film.

Yes it is such a terrific piece, thematically much more self-contained than the later version which ended up in the film (which is excellent as well imo).

And yes I think Shore has mentioned before how Doug might know the LotR scores better than even he does as he was indeed writing quite intuitively and sometimes very unaware of some of the connections he was making in the music.

The first minute or so is so definitively Tolkien-esque. It just sounds like Middle-Earth. Shame there was no use for it in the film.

Yes it is such a terrific piece, thematically much more self-contained than the later version which ended up in the film (which is excellent as well imo).

And yes I think Shore has mentioned before how Doug might know the LotR scores better than even he does as he was indeed writing quite intuitively and sometimes very unaware of some of the connections he was making in the music.

This means that Doug's explanations sometimes are his own ideas, not what the composer intentionally intented... doesnt it?

In other words... variations of the same theme may just be renditions of the theme like any other composer does and not an insight into the depths of the state of mind of certain character...

In other words, the "heroics of aragorn" is the "fellowship theme". Period :P

25. Heroics of Aragorn

• FOTR I-13 Strider 1:43-1:48
  • FOTR II-2 The Caverns of Isengard 0:15-0:44
  • FOTR II-14 Balin's Tomb 7:44-8:25
  • FOTR III-5 Parth Galen 4:49-5:56
  • FOTR III-5 Parth Galen 7:00-7:16
  • FOTR III-5 Parth Galen 7:32-7:55
  • FOTR III-6 The Departure of Boromir 1:57-2:26
  • FOTR III-6 The Departure of Boromir 3:45-3:58

It's definitely not one of the more obscure or hard to identify themes at all.

And once you hear it in FOTR you can hear it in Aragorn's Return ;)

I'm sorry SUH - you've seen the LOTR trilogy before, but didn't pick up on the fact that Aragorn was a descendant of Isildur?

I'm sorry SUH - you've seen the LOTR trilogy before, but didn't pick up on the fact that Aragorn was a descendant of Isildur?

No - I just wasn't sure of the fact several years after watching them. Things get forgotten over time - that's one thing I can remember the films teaching me!

HOW CAN YOU FORGET SOMETHING THIS IMPORTANT?!!! :stick: