The Lord Of The Rings trilogy on Blu Ray

Jay

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

By the way The Digital Bits has reported that the Extended Editions of the LOTR movies are expected to be out on Blu-Ray some time around November 2010 according to Peter Jackson, since he announced it at Comic Con.

I doubt I'll buy them unless there's some significantly cool bonus stuff, as I think the theatricals in November will be enough for me. Star Trek, LOTR, Clone Wars... it's gonna be an expensive fourth quarter.

What's the point of iso scores for the LOTR movies? You'll get hacked up music, besides I'm sure what pieces you wanted to hear in the movie that didn't make it on the C.R.'s will be in the rarities stuff.

What's the point of iso scores for the LOTR movies? You'll get hacked up music, besides I'm sure what pieces you wanted to hear in the movie that didn't make it on the C.R.'s will be in the rarities stuff.

It'd be nice if they did, but I think more space will be devoted to unused concepts.

Plus, what about the actual purpose of isos - watching the movie with just the music?

Yes it is. The average consumer isn't savvy enough to dissect the music from the isolated score track, cut it into individual files, and listen to it on the CD. I'm pretty sure that's technically illegal anyways, covered under the FBI/Interpol warning before the movie about reverse engineering, disassembling, and decompiling the DVD. Blah blah blah.

Any of us who post enough are already savvy human beings, so our use for isolated scores is to do exactly that: make our own score albums. But I think the studios actually think people would watch a movie with the score only and the lips moving without vocal sounds, then have ten minutes of silence, then hear some more music when something happens.

I think watching any SW or LOTR movie with an isolated score would be an awful experience. Too much editing.

Irony alert required, I believe.

Also, to my knowledge, the only illegal thing about ripping an iso score is cracking the DVD's encryption, if it has any (most do).

I'm sure the whole ripping thing is one huge grey area. Makes me wonder why studios choose to do it - they must know it'll turn up online as a boot in no time.

Editing or not, I'd still like to have isos.

But I think the studios actually think people would watch a movie with the score only and the lips moving without vocal sounds, then have ten minutes of silence, then hear some more music when something happens.

I was watching Pleasantville the other day, and they avoided the silence problem on the iso - when there's no commentary or music, they just fade in the regular track.

Plus I believe it's 5.1, so if Newman talks over any music, just get rid of the centre channel ;)

That would add value to a LotR iso - a commentary.

Also, to my knowledge, the only illegal thing about ripping an iso score is cracking the DVD's encryption, if it has any (most do).

I'm sure the whole ripping thing is one huge grey area. Makes me wonder why studios choose to do it - they must know it'll turn up online as a boot in no time.

I believe they added the clause about breaking encryptions to the DMCA because that was their only way to make ripping DVDs illegal. Playing a DVD on a PC essentially copies the entire disc (sequentially) to the PC's memory, so that's a form of copying right there.

But I certainly got the impression that bootleg considerations were a major reason for the demise of iso scores (there were quite a few in the early days of DVD technology).

Even before the boot problem though, what made a studio think "I know what'll make this DVD sell... let's allow people to watch it with only the music playing!"?

I just struggle to understand the Joe Public motivation behind them, particularly when the score isn't anything special (Newman's Erin Brockovich for example).

• 8 months later...

I finished the Trilogy for the first time a couple days ago (Extended Editions) and loved them to death. They were fantastic!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'll wait for an official release date. It even says on the Amazon page that it's scheduled for release in 2011 or 2012. So people could be holding on to those orders for quite a bit of time.

$85 for three movies is also too much.

Well, there are also 9 DVDs of special features.

Actually only 6 discs of special features. It looks like they'll be splitting the extended versions over two discs again. I'm a bit pissed off about that.

From the Amazon description:

"To top it all off, the extended editions offer four discs per film: two for the longer movie, plus four commentary tracks and stupendous DTS 6.1 ES sound; and two for the bonus material"

This has not been announced officially. It doesn't even make sense that there will be DVDs in this set. I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be. The special features might be in SD, but they won't be on DVD I can assure you.

Just wait, like we've already been doing.

Well, there are also 9 DVDs of special features.

Actually only 6 discs of special features. It looks like they'll be splitting the extended versions over two discs again.

Whaaa? If that's the case I'll be sticking with the dvd release.

Plus, they won't be getting rrp from me (again). If it turns out the release is an EXCELLENT one, I'll pick it up about a year after it hits the streets for half the price.

and in some few years they will release a version that has both theatrical and extened editions, but not the same bonus material.

How does PJ milk the cow in half the time as GL without getting any critizism for that?

IMVHO, on blu-ray they should have released both threatrical and extended edition toguether from the very beggining, the problem of disc space is not an issue.

Im pretty much happy with the two sided dvds i bought recently with both versions. shame the docs are crap compared to the EE.

ANybody knows why this version instead of having the theatrical on one side and the extened on the other has both versions cut in half so you have to flip the discs? it makes no sense :/

yes, im talking about the DVD limited editions: http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-Theatrical-Extended-Limited/dp/B000GTLR2A

There i found the answer: seamless branching -> meaning that the scenes that are common to both versions are stored on the disc only once.

It makes sense then.

But a shame since each side is a DVD9, i was expecting to get rid of the disc swap. Well i think i got better quality...

How does PJ milk the cow in half the time as GL without getting any critizism for that?

Because PJ offers quality, whereas Lucas offers only quantity. Compare The Lord Of The Rings Extended Editions DVD sets with Star Wars Special Editions. You'll understand

I dont understand it because i think GL was critisized of milking with OT releases even before the SEs (the period after 10-15 years from ROTJ).

In less than 8 years after ROTK there has been:

Theatrical 1 DVD per film plus the trilogy pack

EE 4 DVDs per film (with deluxe editions each) plus trilogy pack

Limited edition 2DVDs per film and trilogy pack

BD theatrical per film and trilogy pack

BD EE trilogy pack

too many versions. Exclusive bonus features each.

Bad for the fan for uber dipping, but the fans dont complain.

My point being 'its just ironic'.

I expected a lengthier response from mr. steef, shame, since the forums are rather doldrumitic lately... no worthy discussions :P

Still flogging that dead horse? ;)

Its not really a dead horse, it comes alive with each new LOTR release every few months...

Listen!

I bought the theatrical cuts of TTT and ROTK knowing full well that extended editions would later follow, since this was announced before hand.

It was my choice, and I did not regret it.

Since Blu-Ray is a new format, it stands to reason that these films will be released once more. That's normal.

Those who are only interested in the theatrical versions (probably the greater percentage of buyers of this film) were able to buy them a while ago. Those that want the EE's had to wait a bit longer, also nothing wrong with that.

As for new Bonus Features. If they had included only the features from the previous releases, fans would cry foul, since they would feel ribbed that PJ did not offer them anything new.

I dont understand it because i think GL was critisized of milking with OT releases even before the SEs (the period after 10-15 years from ROTJ).

BD EE trilogy pack

You said the magic word: theatrical.

There are many TLOTR fans or casual movie watchers who prefer the theatrical versions over the Extended Editions. They can buy them in whatever format they like: DVD, BD, and even the VHS versions are still out there for pennies in used shops.

But ask GL for theatrical versions of his movies, and he'll give you a song and a dance about why we should only watch the latest and greatest re-edit to align with his pretentious worldview of his saga. Theatrical versions of the films are trapped in either the LaserDisc or VHS of yesteryear, or relegated to a supplemental DVD that is an afterthought at best, a casual middle finger to fans at worst.

PJ pwns GL.

BD EE trilogy pack

You said the magic word: theatrical.

There are many TLOTR fans or casual movie watchers who prefer the theatrical versions over the Extended Editions. They can buy them in whatever format they like: DVD, BD, and even the VHS versions are still out there for pennies in used shops.

But ask GL for theatrical versions of his movies, and he'll give you a song and a dance about why we should only watch the latest and greatest re-edit to align with his pretentious worldview of his saga. Theatrical versions of the films are trapped in either the LaserDisc or VHS of yesteryear, or relegated to a supplemental DVD that is an afterthought at best, a casual middle finger to fans at worst.

PJ pwns GL.

Ownage post is ownage.

Yeah well good points.

But every SW release has also new features, some of them decent doccumentaries. The blue rays even have deleted scenes. Oh wait if its done by lucas its a frigging marketing plot that should have been released ages ago.

Just think that PJ has neither released any deleted scene. We only have to wait a few years more.

The way I understand it, there's been a change in personnel at Warner Home Video since PJ oversaw the theatrical and EE releases of the trilogy on DVD.

The new people at WB made the first blu ray box set without his input, and I think this EE input is without his input as well. Whenever they can all get on the same page, PJ will be able to release the box set he wants with the special features (ie Deleted Scenes) only he has, etc.

heh thanks.

That's one thing Lucas has tightly knotted.

PJ should have foreseen that and try to get his movies' rights.

GL has noone to ask for releasing his movies...wich is a blessing and curse...