The Lord Of The Rings General Discussion Thread

Faleel

Strange thing about the Cinemasins Two Towers video being blocked, and now Return of the King as well:

The Cinemasins Fellowship video is still available, though. But for how long, I wonder...

Yeah. It seems like he has a certain respect for Shore (even when their styles differ so radically), which is not something you see often from Horner.

Well as shocked as i was in the early times for shore's election (who was he?) I can't think of middle earth having other musical voice now.

And frankly, if horner had been the composer he would have done another three average scores. He would have got the oscar(s) anyway though, that came with the success of the films.

Kilar would have been a more no-nonsense kind of guy, and probably would have quit halfway through rather than deal with PJ's crap.

But I take it that it would have had a similar modal, Polish spiritualist sound that Shore's own work had in parts, but in a far more introverted way.

Kilar himself mentioned it in a couple of Polish interviews. And that was way back in 1999.

Richard Kraft campaigned to have Basil Poledouris score the film.

Karol

Kilar and Horner were the top candidates. Poledouris was in the mix somewhere, and at one point I believe even Elfman's name popped up.

Shore was a bit out-of-the blue, that just came from some temp-track observations.

Well, Elfman did work with Jackson on The Frighteners just before Jackson started on LotR. That's probably where that rumour came from.

Now imagine if Elfman got to score LotR. How many celestas and women's choirs could he have crammed into those films?

So Horner talks about how he rejected the offer to score The Lord of the Rings.

Surprisingly, he is praising Shore. Briefly and somewhat mildly... but still.

Karol

Wow. Horner is going soft. Praising Shore (and yes for a very good reason). I guess he didn't want angry mail from devoted ClassicFM LotR fans. ;)

Kilar himself mentioned it in a couple of Polish interviews. And that was way back in 1999.

Richard Kraft campaigned to have Basil Poledouris score the film.

Karol

As I have but passing acquaintance with Kilar's music I can't say much one way or the other but if Portrait of a Lady, Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Ninth Gate are any indication there would have been some serious minimalism in the music. Kilar seemed to be very interested in these repetitions, which at times feel quite unnecessary. But again who knows what the films would have gotten out of him.

And Kraft did indeed campaign for Poledouris. This is mentioned e.g. in the Tribute to Basil Poledouris DVD interviews with Kraft.

I do remember how the first Hobbit trailers used Horner's Braveheart a lot and no doubt he would have created a very different score, certainly with more streamlined approach. Shore's huge leitmotivic glossary and its application was a huge challenge that only a few might have attempted. Certainly PJ and the film makers would have had their own notions about the music the same way they communicated them to Shore but I think Horner might have easily fallen into his own private traps while scoring the trilogy (to paraphrase Norman Bates).

Horner's main themes would have been lush, and his action music would have trumped Shore's, but then again we wouldn't have the untouchably Tolkien Nature theme nor the perfectly toned Rohirrim melody.

Oh Horner's themes are always lush (even to the detriment of the film they underscore). I have been listening to his music a lot the past few days and his music is about as old Hollywoodian as it gets (in a good way I mean).

His action music is a bit hit and miss really.

But he's still more of an action composer then Shore ever was!

Undoubtedly if you go the normal Hollywood route with the action scoring. Shore's work on LotR is better for going its own way I think. I could not quite imagine Horner type of action music for LotR unless it would be in the vein of something like Braveheart.

Horner's main themes would have been lush, and his action music would have trumped Shore's, but then again we wouldn't have the untouchably Tolkien Nature theme nor the perfectly toned Rohirrim melody.

Do you have any examples of lush Horner themes, do they surpass things like the Shire theme? I think the only theme I know from him is the Titanic credit song, and that little motif he always uses.

Cocoon blows Shore's Shire away IMO.

Shore certainly not a tune smith like Williams or Goldsmith or Horner but he distilled every tuneful thought he has in his body into these 6 scores. And they work brilliantly in and out of context for the most part. Much of his other work is fairly low keyed melodically in comparison.