The Lord Of The Rings General Discussion Thread

Faleel

And now it comes at last. You will give it to me freely! I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this. In place of your prosthetic Klingons, you shall have CG orcs, not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair!

Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm!

Come on guys. If Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen can be best buds, then Trekkies and Tolkienites can too! They can even be the same people!

Of course! We are one big, happy MB! Ah, KK, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?

Come on guys. If Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen can be best buds, then Trekkies and Tolkienites can too! They can even be the same people!

Of course! We are one big, happy MB! Ah, KK, my old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

And also that one about a fool and his head soon being parted.

I love how much of Shore's music was used for the LotR trailers, and then practically none of it for the Hobbit ones...

Even Man of Steel used Shore's music!

I wonder how much input the studio has when it comes to trailers. I wouldn't be surprised if they handled it entirely themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure there will be an ultimate set with new deleted scenes. But I don't think they'll be put back into the movie proper. They'll be put in the bonus section.

Stuff I'd still like to see:

- The Fellowship going down the mountain after being defeated on Caradhras (as seen in behind-the-scenes footage on the original FotR enhanced OST)

- The Fellowship being chased by Orcs out of Moria and into Lothlórien (as seen in early FotR trailers)

- Elrond and Arwen go to Lothlorien and make a plan with Galadriel (as seen on the TTT promo on the FotR DVD)

- Arwen at Helm's Deep

- The Orcs being slaughtered on-screen by the Ents at Helm's Deep (mentioned on the TTT audio commentary and in early reports)

- More Elrond and Arwen from RotK (seen in RotK trailers)

- Sam going through the enchanted gate of Minas Morgul (I think this is mentioned in the RotK audio commentary and the transition from outside to inside Minas Morgul always seemed like something was removed from in between; this really should have been in the extended edition)

- Aragorn fighting Sauron at the Black Gates (instead of the troll that was superimposed in the final cut)

- The original epilogue ending to RotK (as mentioned on the FotR audio commentary)

Those would all make great bonus material.

Yeah a lot of that cannot be put back into the films, because it would create massive continuity issues. But I'd quite like to see it.

A lot of that was wisely cut out, but some bits should have ended up in the films, most importantly this one:

- Sam going through the enchanted gate of Minas Morgul (I think this is mentioned in the RotK audio commentary and the transition from outside to inside Minas Morgul always seemed like something was removed from in between; this really should have been in the extended edition)

Of course, it would be interesting to see the rest, including the horribly misguided Sauron fight scene.

I wish the winged Nazgul above Sarn Gebir would have been written and filmed, it seems wierd to have the Mordor music disappear for that long section.

As far as I know, they simply put the troll into the scenes of Aragorn fighting Sauron, so technically, it's in the film.

I know, but I think it would be nice to see the original footage.

As far as I know, they simply put the troll into the scenes of Aragorn fighting Sauron, so technically, it's in the film.

I know, but I think it would be nice to see the original footage.

What original footage? Aragorn staring at Annatar is in the film, without Annatar. Aragorn fighting Sauron is in the film, but without Sauron.

Everything else is just meddling with CGI.

Didn't they have him fighting an actor in a Sauron suit. If they're gonna do deleted scenes in a bonus section, I would just like to see it. Because I'm curious. Indulge me.

You mean Cirith Ungol right?

Cirith Ungol was a pass that they traveled on that brought them near Minas Morgul and eventually to Shelob's Lair

If you want to be exactly exact then the tower of Cirith Ungol. Cirith Ungol is the pass that connects Mordor to the Morgul Vale. I assume Marc is talking about the Silent Watchers at the gate of the watch tower of Cirith Ungol, not Minas Morgul's main gate where Sam is certainly not headed at any point in the novel or the movie if you don't count him dragging Frodo away from there.

You really think Marc would mistake the Tower of Cirith Ungol with Minas Morgul???

Apparently I did. Geez, sorry. Nerds!

Are you really saying adult males have worthier ways to spend their time than compiling comprehensive encyclopedic knowledge of an imaginary world created by an Englishman more than 50 years ago?!!! Crazy talk man, crazy talk!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here get a chance to see this yet:

For the real LOTR experts here, what (if anything) did CGP Grey get wrong in this video? Or at least could've explained more easily?

Anyone here get a chance to see this yet:

For the real LOTR experts here, what (if anything) did CGP Grey get wrong in this video? Or at least could've explained more easily?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19868&p=1075051

• 2 weeks later...