The Lord Of The Rings General Discussion Thread

Faleel

Perhaps. I was really only thinking about PJ continuity. And PJ won't use any of the happy dwarf songs that were in the Bakshi cartoon, so the Nimoy acid trip we call a song wouldn't be used either.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Clearly those guys didn't know about the bombs set around the base of Barad-Dur that only the destruction of the ring could set off.

You see, Sauron was a very self-absorbed, pompous prick. He was so confident of his inevitable dominance of Middle-Earth back in the Second Age that he often fantasized and rehearsed his doom because he thought he would never see it happen. The bombs became an essential part of the blueprints of Barad-Dur thanks to the rehearsals.

Over time, Sauron lost his confidence,but since the bombs were an unrecognizable part of the blueprints, Sauron's slaves included it during the rebuilding of Barad-Dur when Sauron returned from Mirkwood. Only when Frodo threw the ring in Mt. Doom did Sauron suddenly realized how screwed he was...

So you see, it was all just a misunderstanding.

Clearly those guys didn't know about the bombs set around the base of Barad-Dur that only the destruction of the ring could set off.

You see, Sauron was a very self-absorbed, pompous prick. He was so confident of his inevitable dominance of Middle-Earth back in the Second Age that he often fantasized and rehearsed his doom because he thought he would never see it happen. The bombs became an essential part of the blueprints of Barad-Dur thanks to the rehearsals.

Over time, Sauron lost his confidence,but since the bombs were an unrecognizable part of the blueprints, Sauron's slaves included it during the rebuilding of Barad-Dur when Sauron returned from Mirkwood. Only when Frodo threw the ring in Mt. Doom did Sauron suddenly realized how screwed he was...

So you see, it was all just a misunderstanding.

I would blame it all on the shoddy Orc worksmanship. Those buffoons can't do anything right. I hope Sauron had the tower insured.

I don't think you can apply real-world conspiracy theories to the collapse of Barad-Dur. I mean, a structure built with dark magic is so interlaced with evil that as soon as the top of the lighthouse starts to collapse, the mortar and rivets of the lower levels are simultaneously flying apart, and the building disintegrates in a spectacularly non-linear display of Weta visual splendor.

I don't think you can apply real-world conspiracy theories to the collapse of Barad-Dur. I mean, a structure built with dark magic is so interlaced with evil that as soon as the top of the lighthouse starts to collapse, the mortar and rivets of the lower levels are simultaneously flying apart, and the building disintegrates in a spectacularly non-linear display of Weta visual splendor.

Done basically by one man during his Christmas holidays if the documentaries of the Extended DVDs are to be believed. Now that's dedication!

Not the bombing silly, the visual effect of the tower falling. I can't remember the man's name but he built the digital model of Barad-Dûr all by himself, working 16 to 18 hours a day through his holiday break and his work on it was then used as a basis for the whole sequence.

Hist name was Gray Horsefield.

This is not the clip from the extended editions as I couldn't find that on youtube, so it doesn't really show how this man was almost solely responsible for that sequence as much. But still, you get the idea.

The Appendixes in the EE made me realize just how much sheer hard work was put into this film. There was a lot of craftmanship to Jackson's magnum opus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SMOKING KILLS! SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU AND THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU! I USUALLY HATE SMOKING! and with that being said...

hehe just preparing for the lotr marathon me and my friends are having:

img0898i.jpg

from http://justforhim.com/catalog/

now we'll have to find a pipe. it'll be a night to remember!

You're gonna smoke Treebeard? WTF?

ROTFLMAO

apparently he'll taste like vanilla. yum.

Oh Alice invite me over! I haven't had a pipe in FOREVER!

if you bring lembas (frodo's scones will do too) you're officially invited!

http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/other/recipes.html#9

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, god, that reminds me I forgot to show you this! Beware, this is some EPIC stuff (and yes, the word "epic" applies here! Epic in every possible way). If Tolkien saw that video, he would die in his grave once again.

Prepare yourself to see Gandalf and Co like you've never seen them before!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouc53MSrUuU

:blink:

Oh poor Tolkien, I'm sure if he were alive he'd have these game-makers flogged on the streets.

:fouetaa:

Gollum is part of the Mordor gang now. He's like the Witchking's brutha from another mutha. YO!

WHAT THE HELL????!!!!!! BURN THE HERETICAL MONEY GRABBING FRANCHISE ABUSING, TOLKIEN DEFILING RETARDS WHO ARE MAKING THIS GAME!!!! :stick:

WHAT THE HELL????!!!!!! BURN THE HERETICAL MONEY GRABBING FRANCHISE ABUSING, TOLKIEN DEFILING RETARDS WHO ARE MAKING THIS GAME!!!! :stick:

Is only game. Why you heff to be mad?

No not really. I was being Hlao-roo brand of sarcastic, you know exposing the madness in being burningly angry at this game which is quite similar to a number of others that have been released previously by pretenting overwrought indignation.

Precisely. And what the hell did they do to Gollum?!? :folder:

To think there are probably a some people out there who think this is what Lord of the Rings is about. :shakehead:

Precisely. And what the hell did they do to Gollum?!? :folder:

To think there are probably a some people out there who think this is what Lord of the Rings is about. :shakehead:

But EPIC is so difficult to achieve without slowmotion and arrow time, explosions, flames and breaking buildings. Why wasn't Gandalf's nuclear bomb like powers in the Battle for Middle Earth or Middle Earth Third Age's cheesy japanese roleplaying game battle mechanics with huge un-Tolkien like light show effects damnable?

The Third Age is interesting with roleplaying game battle mechanics and huge light show effects.

Fixed.

The Third Age is interesting with roleplaying game battle mechanics and huge light show effects.

Fixed.

It is a poor tunnel visioned bore fest quest if there ever was one, just wrapped in the frachise's visual skin to make it look better. And not in the spirit of Tolkien in many respects. Final showdown with the Eye of Sauron was a hoot.

I just watched the game trailer that BB posted and it looks cool. It's not meant to represent any specific time or event in the books or movies. It's just an abstract concept of a game using the main characters from the storylines to fight a non-canonical series of battles. As if the LOTR characters found themselves dropped into a Mortal Kombat arena.

Too bad it's just a cinematic trailer and not gameplay footage. It builds interest in the IP long before actual gameplay tempers much of the enthusiasm. This could be either a classic fighting game, an over the shoulder third-person action game, or even a turn-based tactical strategy game like a King's Bounty game.

Other "apocrypha" of note...

Why is Gandalf the Grey shown instead of Gandalf the White? The Grey would build up hype for his role in The Hobbit franchise, but The White is the new and improved version who would be stronger. Granted, they never went head-to-head, but I would rather take Gandalf the White into battle.

Um, isn't PJ's Sauron still a disembodied wraith or spirit form at the start of FOTR? That's why we always see him as the giant lidless lighthouse atop Barad-Dur. To see him approach the "Fellowship" side in full humanoid form, as at the War of the Last Alliance in FOTR's prologue, would imply that he has regained The One Ring, which makes these battles rather pointless.

Besides, who remembers Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi?

Final showdown with the Eye of Sauron was a hoot.

And the final showdown with Gollum, and rescuing Beorn, and the showdown with the Ants...

"Adapting into a movie is one thing, adapting to a game, thats something else."

Teräs Käsi is Finnish by the way and means "steel hand". :P

I remember learning how to rip the unreleased Williams Phantom Menace music out of it!