The Lord Of The Rings General Discussion Thread

Faleel

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Alan Lee, Illustrator and Conceptual Artist of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, answers questions from fans. (No revelation on The Hobbit, but quite an interesting read nonetheless)

An excellent Q/A with Alan Lee. Thanks for the link (as usual) Bloodboal! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

10 years already? That's scary. I remember spending what seemed like hours downloading that first internet teaser trailer/featurette. I've never been so excited about a film release before or since.

That it's a decade since Fellowship just feels strange!

10 years make such a difference. Back then, DVD rips were the 'thing' in our house, and we had to wait days to get them over a dialup connection.

I wouldn't say that generically, scores were of higher quality, but it was less of a surprise to see a traditional, thematic orchestral score. Nowadays, it takes guts. A decade ago it seems producers/studios were more comfortable with it.

This also marks 10 years being casually interested in film scores. The serious, life-defining interest didn't come until 2 - 3 years later.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't imagine Gandalf the Grey being played by anyone else, Ian McKellen's performance was absolutely perfect. I'm very glad that New Line executive happened to be in that restaurant that day!

• 2 weeks later...

For me Ian McKellen makes LotR the magnificence it is. Without his Gandalf, his leadership, his authority, his warmth, the films wouldn't have the heft and gravitas they do.

Anyway, didn't Bob Shaye turn out to be a cunt?

100 Things You Didn't Know About Lord of the Rings

There is a high probability you know most of them, if you listened to the DVD commentaries and extras.

If you know less than 90 of them, I say your are not worthy of posting in this thread.

I'm surprised that there are no comments about the (frankly quite insane) quantity of choral and orchestral recording sessions for the score of each film.

100 Things You Didn't Know About Lord of the Rings

There is a high probability you know most of them, if you listened to the DVD commentaries and extras.

If you know less than 90 of them, I say your are not worthy of posting in this thread.

I'm surprised that there are no comments about the (frankly quite insane) quantity of choral and orchestral recording sessions for the score of each film.

Do you mean the 7 minutes of music he had to write per day for RotK?

I'd gathered from the EE documentary that he was being asked to do that much composing every day, and the guy (Paul Broucek?) differentiated between that and orchestrating.

Therefore, which is it? Was he actually writing the full score for 7 mins per day, or just outlining his ideas for that amount.

I know that 2 minutes per day is the standard (Shore and JNH both mentioned that in interviews) so it sounds like Shore reached the volume that JNH was writing for Kong (well, he doesn't say exactly how much, but 'a lot' compared to 2 mins).

So LOTR 3d, further extended editions...

Every single year PJ comes closer to the milk-cashcowboy George Lucas is.

And yes the difference is PJ releases the threatrical editions... but as i see it, its just one more version to release and get more cash... Because GL releases the films in each new format that appears, but PJ releases the threatrical, the extended and soon the complete versions each time a new format surfaces...

I say, bring them on :P

So LOTR 3d, further extended editions...

Every single year PJ comes closer to the milk-cashcowboy George Lucas is.

And yes the difference is PJ releases the threatrical editions... but as i see it, its just one more version to release and get more cash... Because GL releases the films in each new format that appears, but PJ releases the threatrical, the extended and soon the complete versions each time a new format surfaces...

:sleepy:

On the contrary. PJ understands and respects his audience, while GL couldn't be bothered.

Each time a new technology appears, the studios compel that their library be updated as well. This captures new buyers as well as those who just have to upgrade their versions to the next better standard.

That being said, PJ recognizes that some fans only want the theatrical versions, some want just the extended versions, and some want both. I know nothing of this "complete" version of which you speak, and will do my homework.

GL simply releases one version of his saga in the latest format. The latest update to the picture becomes something never before seen in that way on an earlier format. You can't get the BR version on DVD, it's supposed to "be" better in addition to just "looking and sounding" better. If that's what you're after, go for it.

It also means you can't get the long-since-turned-to-dust theatrical version on the newer formats. You have to settle for VHS, DVD rip, or hypnosis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, its December 20, 2011.

Happy 10th Birthday to the Fellowship of the Ring (and practically the trilogy as a whole!).

I wrote a little something in my blog:

http://musicmusekk.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/one-ring-to-rule-them-all/

Offer some comments and create some discussion in commemoration!

- KK

Nice little tribute to FOTR, KK. One question, though: why is it "Filed under: Ramin Djawadi"? :eh:

Oh no reason...I guess I'm just preparing in advance for Shore to get the boot and Djawadi to take up the reins of the greatest fantasy franchise of all time. Not the first time he's done something of the sort and I'm sure a certain big budget television production will come to mind....

Alright I take it back! Thats not even something to joke about! It was just an honest mistake! I'm sorry!!! :(

PJ posted something intriguing on his Facebook page:

Hi everyone! This year is the tenth anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, and we wanted to give the fans a Christmas treat ahead of the release of the two Hobbit movies in Dec 2012 and 2013. Stay tuned for more. Cheers!

Sounds interesting...

What is he hiding, precious...? What does fat Jacksonses have in his pocket....?

Now, if it was Martin Freeman replacing Ian Holm in FOTR prologue, THAT would be interesting... ;)

Ian Holm is irreplaceable.

So much for continuity. After watching both Hobbit films, FOTR will have to cue the omniscient daytime soap opera narrator. The part of young Bilbo Baggins is now played by Ian Holm.

Or in another ten years, we'll have an ultimate UltraVioletRay presentation of the movie that replaces that ten second clip of Bilbo finding six hours of Hobbit films. Much like how the first two Godfather films were stitched together for a TV presentation.