The Lord Of The Rings General Discussion Thread

Faleel

• 2 months later...

Yeah anatomically inaccurate! Epic failure!

Those wings should be ambiguous shadow spreading around the monster!

11 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Cool paintings.

True fact: The Balrog had wings.

That's an alternate fact right there!

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

That's an alternate fact right there!

What's your problem with alternative facts?

I suppose you don't like alternative lifestyles either.

Bigot.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

What's your problem with alternative facts?

I suppose you don't like alternative lifestyles either.

Bigot.

I am a defender of Tolkien orthodoxy! There is no room for alternative facts in Middle-earth!

44 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I am a defender Tolkien orthodoxy! There is no room for alternative facts in Middle-earth!

WingedBalrogaphobe!  Bakshi AND Jackson's Balrog BOTH have wings! Do you know more than them?!

Let me guess...next you're going to say this scene isn't in the book...

Bakshi-and-Jackson-are-painting-the-same

22 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's not even a scene. It's two different scenes!

It's the same scene from two different movies based on the same book that doesn't feature either scene that's the same!

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wasn't Baskhi's Balrog better and more imposing than PJ's?

What? The winged lion, better? Are you drunk again, Stiff?

Balrog.jpg

50 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

It's the same scene from two different movies based on the same book that doesn't feature either scene that's the same!

Blame John Howe, too!

TheBlackRider.jpg

Bakshi even pre-dates Howe's painting (which clearly depicts the scene from Jackson's film).

That scene from the Bakshi film somehow became pretty iconic, because it's not in the book though a lot of people swear it is...and its made its way into a lot of artwork, and of course Jackson's movie, since then.  

Well the copyright on the Howe painting is 2002?

Perhaps Howe painted it as part of the pre-production on the film and Jackson used that to frame his shot. But in any event, it's clearly based on Bakshi's scene...and we know Jackson saw that film (he also composed the shot for "Proudfeet!" based on Bakshi's composition of the shot).

http://www.dorkly.com/post/76306/lord-of-the-rings-details

Contrary to what the watermark tells us, this was actually painted in the 80s. Artist John Howe explains on his website that he saw the animated movie and loved that scene so much he remade it in his own style. This very painting appeared a couple years later on a Tolkien calendar, and seeing that is what inspired Peter Jackson and his team to create the scene for the film. In a roundabout way, the live-action film was inspired by the animated movie, even if nobody realized it at the time. 

1987 is the year.

2002 is probably the year he uploaded the pic on his website.

Makes sense. Either way, the scene started w/Bakshi. There are actually several such Bakshi inspired scenes that made it into FOTR...though not so much in the other films.

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

God, i read the book 10 times and I could swear it was in there. You sure?

Pretty sure.

But then again, I swear I saw the missed grappling hook throw, so who knows. 

19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Proudfeet!

lotr01a.jpg

proudfoot6-e1429401440475.jpg

Yeah. Not to mention the Ringwraits attacking the Hobbits empty beds in Bree...again, in Bakshi's film, and later Jacksons, but not in the book.

Well maybe Stef's copy, but no one else's.

Nah. It's in a different context in the book, in a different place. And there's no tree. I mean, sure they hide from a black rider. There's lots of hiding from the black riders in those books. :)

The section of the novel between "Keep it secret, keep it safe" and arriving at Bree has always been problematic for writers adapting the story for time-constrained media.

Actually if you read Tolkien's letters to his publisher (not to mention just reading the book) it's pretty clear that Bombadil really has no part in the story. He was put in there before Tolkien really knew what LOTR was going to be ("the tale grew in the telling") and he liked the character.

It's an interesting interlude, and adds to the texture of the book certainly (as do many thing that didn't make it into the films) but in terms of the kind of narrative storytelling necessary for a movie, he's easily excised.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

We were being fatuous.

Tolkien himself didn't really know what to make of Bombadil as his narrative grew near to what LOTR would become. Yet he was loath to remove him.

It is interesting how towards the end of the novel Tolkien really compresses the narrative compared to its lingering leisurely pace at the start where something like a long strange encounter with Bombadil with intricate descriptions of Old Forest, Whitywindle and Bombadil's house etc. take quite a bit of space. Indeed a story that grew in telling.

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Quite a poorly edited book then.

And look how it turned out. Such a disgrace!

But as the publisher Rayner Unwin said, no one edited Tolkien, least of all when the language itself was concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was best that Bombadil was cut from the live-action films.

He's kind of like the Jar Jar Binks of Middle Earth. Just a lot less annoying and more enigmatic.