Moral and Legal Concerns Regarding The Trading of Sheet Music and Recorded Music

Will

I've been grappling with this topic quite intensely recently, and I've done quite a bit of reading on copyright law. 

I noticed that there'd been some discussion of this matter in this thread...

... and thought, as Sharkus suggested there, that it might be good to continue this important discussion in its own thread.

There's no point in being concerned about the law from a moral point of view when the wonderful opportunity to discover and study such a great deal of brilliant artistry is at stake. 

Of course, I encourage everyone to support upcoming artists and buy their products, but considering I only really listen to the works of deceased classical composers or wealthy film composers, I don't feel particularly indebted. I don't really download audio, anyway (outside of content that isn't commercially available). I have a Spotify Premium account for that purpose.

John Williams lounges around in a mansion in pants and a turtleneck even though it's disgustingly hot and muggy, obviously wasting shitloads of electricity to run the air conditioning and only occasionally working on a score. The least he can do is surrender the goddamn recording sessions and sheet music to us schmucks.

Regardless of what the copyright law says or doesn't say (I'm no expert), I certainly don't have any moral qualms with people trading, exchanging or otherwise freely acquiring score sheets for studying. Very few of us can sight read anyway, so it's not like it's suddenly out there for everyone to enjoy, as with audio recordings.

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:09 AM, dillweed97 said:

I see it as a way to study the great and powerful people as a way to educate ourselves if I hadn't studied the film scores I traded for I wouldn't be scoring my first short film now.

Congratulations!

Legally, you're in the wrong unless you're physically trading the scores and have no backups.  Period.

Ethically, personally, I have no qualms about seeking out and exchanging unreleased material.