John Williams confirms he's scoring Star Wars Episode VIII at Tanglewood Film Night

Tom

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

I realize it a huge longshot, but maybe everything is going faster than expected, and they are again aiming for a May release. 

I think Disney would be pretty insistent on 12 month gaps between films now. They face the risk of overexposing the series too quickly otherwise.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Has there even been a 12 month gap between their Marvel movies in the post Iron Man era? 

Nope, not really. We've consistently been getting two films a year since the start of Phase 2. They're increasing that to three next year.

If there's a problem in terms of schedule (BRIDGE OF SPIES-style), my guess is Zimmer will do RPO. Spielberg has often expressed his admiration for him, and even said he would use him if Williams was not accesible. Also, RPO seems like a project more suited to Zimmer's sentiments than Thomas Newman's. But I'm going against my own rules here and speculating in 'what ifs'. Hopefully, it will all work out.

Yeah, I remember some interviews in the 90s where Spielberg talked passionately about him (I think it was when Zimmer was involved as one of the Dreamworks hot shots).

1 minute ago, Muad'Dib said:

Why is it wrong to be young and foolish?

Because you will find that controlling them will not be difficult?

I think Zimmer would have delivered (as he almost always does), but I obviously want Williams to score as many things as possible.

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

Wonder if he'll score the teaser trailer again like he did for TFA?

I really hope so, but it sounds like he had a bit of a falling out with the trailer-making team. Remember this?

John only wrote the first teaser.....and two options for the second - however, Disney went ahead and had a music house compile something for the second without really consulting him. I'm sure, in his beautifully diplomatic way, he told them to just continue that way and leave him to work on the score. Other than the first teaser, Johns only "involvement" is the use of an actual cue from the film opening one of the TV spots (a beautiful flute solo in G minor). 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

If there's a problem in terms of schedule (BRIDGE OF SPIES-style), my guess is Zimmer will do RPO. Spielberg has often expressed his admiration for him, and even said he would use him if Williams was not accesible. Also, RPO seems like a project more suited to Zimmer's sentiments than Thomas Newman's. But I'm going against my own rules here and speculating in 'what ifs'. Hopefully, it will all work out.

That is a prospect I had not at all considered.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I realize it a huge longshot, but maybe everything is going faster than expected, and they are again aiming for a May release. 

That would be awesome. But, as you say, highly, highly, unlikely. 

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

But that doesn't mean he'll actually score it.

Here's how the E8 news is phrased in this article - http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/08/john_williams_brings_star_wars.html:

Williams told the crowd he would begin work in a few weeks on the much-anticipated "Star Wars: Episode VIII" after seeing an early cut. (Sorry fanboys, Williams said he does not yet know who Rey's parents are.)

He said he accepted the invitation from Lucasfilm producer Kathleen Kennedy mainly because he was enchanted by actress Daisy Ridley's portrayal of Rey and does not want another composer scoring her scenes.

7 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

Morricone still jets around the world, but I imagine it's just easier for JW to stay in the US where the studio is practically on his door step 

Typical American narrow-mindedness!

"I don't need to go out and see the world! I already live in the best country in the world!"

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah, I know, but things happen. Hopefully not, though, so all of our 'what if' speculation will turn out moot.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

A Zimmer RPO could be interesting, but given Spielberg likes to keep people around, I think he would offer it to Newman first.

Well, my bet is on Zimmer, in the unlikely scenario Williams had to step out. One because he seems more suited to the project than Newman and two because he's one of the few contemporary composers for whom Spielberg has expressed interest. I don't think Newman is the automatic go-to guy for Spielberg in the years to come (when Williams is not available) just because he did BRIDGE OF SPIES, but rather that he will pick and choose among his other favourites.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

He's going to write the score in two hours? Damn, but he's good!

Yes, Film Night will definitely be a must-see event. ;)

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

He, he...

What happened to Realplayer, anyway? Used to be one of the biggest online media players back in the day.

It was pretty awful from what I remember.  Lengthy stretches of "buffering".  

This news seems to have gone mainstream in the SW community, but it seems there's quite a bit of confusion over what exactly Williams said among the various sites reporting the news.

It looks like the Mass Live article is the source of all these reports. As that article said that Williams will be starting work in a few weeks (whereas JWFans here, who I trust much more than Mass Live on this, have said that he merely said he'd see the film in a few weeks - @Tom and @crumbs is that right?) the news being reported is that Williams is about to start composing.

This of course is triggering crazy speculation -- I've seen a theory about a Rogue One replacement score already. :lol:

Some sites even report he's already seen a rough cut and will be starting work in a few weeks.

It's like a game of telephone -- all the various parts of the announcement are being mixed and matched and changed!

I can't wait until the replay of the concert is available so we can see Williams's exact words. 

Here is the MassLive story

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/08/john_williams_brings_star_wars.html

I think they are just confusing the details of what JW said

Surely since the concert aired on the radio, someone recorded it and can make a precise transcription of what he said like I did for Film Night in Boston?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here is the MassLive story

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/08/john_williams_brings_star_wars.html

I think they are just confusing the details of what JW said

Surely since the concert aired on the radio, someone recorded it and can make a precise transcription of what he said like I did for Film Night in Boston?

It should be available on demand on the WCRB site soon anyway. 

I don't understand the confusion. Whatever his exact words, it's clear that Williams is going to see an early version of the film in a few weeks. Of course he's going to then start thinking about the score.

Then in November, unless circumstances have changed since his earlier statement, he's scheduled to start work on Real Player One. 

3 minutes ago, pete said:

I don't understand the confusion. Whatever his exact words, it's clear that Williams is going to see an early version of the film in a few weeks. Of course he's going to then start thinking about the score.

Then in November, unless circumstances have changed since his earlier statement, he's scheduled to start work on Real Player One. 

Yeah, I guess it's not really a big deal. 

People are complaining Williams will write and conduct Star Wars and Spielberg scores? That doesn't make any sense. They all go hand-in-hand together. Without Spielberg there'd be no Star Wars and likely a little known film composer. 

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Thomas Newman?  

John Williams may never have burst onto the scene, so-to-speak, without Jaws. He was working and doing great stuff prior but Jaws was the massive hit that catapulted Williams, along with Spielberg, into the stratosphere. Then came Star Wars. So complaining about Williams working with Spielberg or on Star Wars just doesn't make any sense. Like complaining that Michael Jordan keeps making new versions of his shoes. 

Plenty of other composers have worked for years and done good scores without much fanfare. Certainly not to the degree that Williams has enjoyed. And he's earned it, very much so. But without Spielberg loving the Reivers and telling Lucas to use Williams, Harry Potter ans Superman would have a very different themes. 

2 hours ago, FC4L said:

People are complaining Williams will write and conduct Star Wars and Spielberg scores? That doesn't make any sense. They all go hand-in-hand together. Without Spielberg there'd be no Star Wars and likely a little known film composer. 

Welcome to JWfan!

5 hours ago, FC4L said:

John Williams may never have burst onto the scene, so-to-speak, without Jaws. He was working and doing great stuff prior but Jaws was the massive hit that catapulted Williams, along with Spielberg, into the stratosphere. Then came Star Wars. So complaining about Williams working with Spielberg or on Star Wars just doesn't make any sense. Like complaining that Michael Jordan keeps making new versions of his shoes.

Wut?

30 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Wut?

Are you playing coy are seriously not sure what my post stated? 

I commented on people complaining that Williams next 2 projects are a Spielberg film and a Star Wars film. The 2 biggest entities in his career, and 2 things he loves dearly. To complain that we are lucky enough to get MORE Williams/Spielberg and Williams/Star Wars is utterly ridiculous.

Perhaps Mozart should have composed less operas and symphonies and more tunes about licking his ass to amuse his friends?

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Welcome to JWfan!

I don't spend much time on message boards these days because there's just too much stupid in the world to try and comprehend. Was hoping for a set-list from Tanglewood to see if that would give any indication of what my ears may be treated to at the Hollywood Bowl. I think I found that in the other thread where the guy with amazing seats left before the concert was over.  :huh:

On 14 August 2016 at 7:55 AM, Romão said:

I'm surprised he's getting involved so early in the process. The shooting wrapped a month ago, Even with a few more extra weeks, will he have anything substancial to start to work with? I rekcon he'll probably start writing new themes and perhaps music for the trailer, and then later on see a more definitive cut and start scoring the finished scenes

Movies are edited as they are shot these days, so the first (or "0" cut) could be ready within days or weeks after principal production wraps. Of course half the movie of this kind will be green screen and unfinished in every way, visually, but there'll still be a lot to go by.

On 14 August 2016 at 11:38 AM, crumbs said:

At the last concert he was already mulling "what to write next" for Rey. I'd say he made the decision months ago, but this was the most overt comment about actually preparing himself to score the film, rather than the vague comments over the last few months.

Funny how it seems so many people thinks it's Williams (or any other composer for that matter) who decides if he "wants to" score the next SW/HP movie. Obviously that decision lies with the director and producers.

Great news anyway! I hope he'll get a chance to develop the Jedi Steps theme - without a doubt the best (and only) great new theme in TFA. Can't say I'm a huge fan of TFA - I think The BFG was much more inspired and felt more like a "real" score. Hopefully he'll get a chance to make a great score for the next SW instalment.