The Lord of the Rings Symphony - CD Release

Joe Brausam

Thanks for your post, Incanus!

It always seemed like the symphony was somewhat hastily put together for some reason, and it seems that over the years no work has been done to change it in any way to make it more satisfying. Oh well - we always have the OSTs and CRs!

What's the deal with this CD by the way - is it available anywhere in Europe at all at a decent price? I checked the three main European Amazons yesterday, and the result was kind of sad.

Kaitlyn Lusk, the soprano soloist, performs on the discs with admirable skill as she did when I heard the Symphony live a few years back.

She really does a fantastic job, considering that she's singing the parts of 7 other performers from the films and yet she manages to convey the mood of all these pieces. When I saw TTT live performace two years ago I was really impressed with her.

Karol

Kaitlyn Lusk, the soprano soloist, performs on the discs with admirable skill as she did when I heard the Symphony live a few years back.

She really does a fantastic job, considering that she's singing the parts of 7 other performers from the films and yet she manages to convey the mood of all these pieces. When I saw TTT live performace two years ago I was really impressed with her.

Karol

I actually had a little mix up when I said I had heard Kaitlyn perform the symphony. I meant the FotR Live this spring. :) Too many shows on the road for LotR these days. :D

The "symphony" itself is also an important way for Mr. Shore to bookend his work on the movies and give a legacy for the future. I mean it's now on paper, it's a proper symphony.

You can conduct it correctly without thinking about time, using the orchestration of the official manuscript, not by using the scores anymore.

The "symphony" itself is also an important way for Mr. Shore to bookend his work on the movies and give a legacy for the future. I mean it's now on paper, it's a proper symphony.

The only thing it has in common with a proper symphony is the name.

I would have wished for a bit more "adapting" done to the pieces as well, but I wonder if this has to do with some legal issues, that the music can't be altered in any way or something.

I have to admit I found the performance on the Symphony release rather jarring when I first heard it. It seemed to lack a lot of the "oomph" of the original recordings. That's quite a poor criticism really baring in mind that this is a live recording as opposed to a controlled scoring stage recording, but I felt that the orchestration didn't help matters. The Isengard 5 beat pattern sounds pretty anemic. I also thought the tempi felt a little rushed. Almost like the orchestra was just playing to get through it rather than actually putting something in to the music. I think that sums up my feelings about the recording as a whole actually. It just lacks something. Like a perfectly competent orchestra playing some music well enough, but not getting in to it.

On subsequent listens, I've warmed to it a bit more. I'm just so used to how the music sounds on the OST and CR and I think that my familiarity with it made me hesitant to accept this different interpretation by another orchestra. I should also point out that the only time I've seen the music performed live was by The London Philharmonic, with the London Voices conducted by Howard Shore himself so I've literally only every heard the scores performed by the same orchestra, choir and conductor until now.

It's nice to have but I doubt it'll get very many listens.

• 1 year later...

For those interested in honor of Howard Shore's 66th birthday the Classic FM presents the entire Lord of the Rings Symphony on this Thursday 18th of October at 8 pm:

Incy's linky

This is the live performance recorded by conductor Ludwig Wicki and the 21st Century Orchestra and Chorus, that was released last year by Howe Records.

• 10 months later...

What are people's thoughts on The Lord of the Rings Symphony? I'm tempted to get it but I'm not sure if its worthwhile. Am I right in thinking its not by the London Phil? If so then maybe listening to it will convince me a different orchestra will go unnoticed in DOS.

Trust me, you can feel it's not by the same orchestra.

As far as I'm concerned, the LOTR symphony isn't really worthwile. It's just the music that appears on the soundtracks. It really hasn't much to offer. I wish Shore had created theme suites and things like that to make a real symphony, instead of just taking some tracks from the OST and putting them together to form the movements. Pity, really.

As far as I'm concerned, the LOTR symphony isn't really worthwile. It's just the music that appears on the soundtracks.

That is a rather narrow view of it.

Some pieces in FOTR have differences:

#1 Three Is Company has singing instead of humming.

#2 Journey in the Dark has an extra word in the beginning (I think) and a wierd instrument in the background, and a brass note added at the end

#3 The Great River has an extended ending.

also some cues in ROTK have similar structure to the OST versions, but restore some of the music from the cue, for example the Gondor theme statement at the end of Osgilitath invaded.

What are people's thoughts on The Lord of the Rings Symphony? I'm tempted to get it but I'm not sure if its worthwhile. Am I right in thinking its not by the London Phil? If so then maybe listening to it will convince me a different orchestra will go unnoticed in DOS.

If you need proof that the NZSO will fit in, just listen to the Moria sequence. One of the most compelling parts of all the Middle-Earth scores, I think.

I'm not wrong, right? Did the LPO re-record that section for the final cut of the film?

Their choir?

I assume you are referring to the Crouch End Festival Chorus, from London, England?

That's the one. If memory serves, under Nic Raine they were outrageously bad on Duel of the Fates.

I think those changes do reflect Shore's preferences, much like how John Williams likes to leave certain bars or sections of cues out of his OST CD's. That doesn't mean he did originally write it that way, though. Perhaps he thought a shorter version would be more suitable for a concert setting.

Their choir?

I assume you are referring to the Crouch End Festival Chorus, from London, England?

That's the one. If memory serves, under Nic Raine they were outrageously bad on Duel of the Fates.

Nonsense! Nic Raine conducted the orchestra, not the choir!

Anti-climatic in places, though. Some of Shore's structural decisions are quite maddening.

May I start a conspiracy that these are Shore going with his original main intentions? What if PJ and co actually asked for the climatic parts you and Stefancos mention since they like it that way, so Shore came up with kick ass music. Shore wasn't known for powering thematic and climatic music before LOTR was he (I seem to remember reading people saying they were expecting atmospheric music that didn't overbear the picture before the LOTR films and they said they wanted that!)? This could explain The Hobbits changes OST somehow and all the mistymountain statements.

Well Shore mainly wrote for horror films which required his brooding music before he got LotR. But he's definitely wrote LotR-style music before Jackson came along. Take a listen to great stuff like "The Fly" or "Looking for Richard".

As BloodBoal said, the LotR Symphony isn't really worth your while. I wish Shore had taken the time to actually play around with his themes again in a more unique format for the concert setting, much like Williams did with Memoirs of a Geisha.

Also the performance on the album isn't all that good. And I'm not a big fan of many of the tempo shifts, makes it sound more anti-climactic.

I can't agree with the proposed conspiracy theory. Shore knew full well going into LotR that it would be a very conventional work and he would therefore be expected to support the movie and its action scenes in a very conventional, crowd pleasing way (and no; tonal juxtaposition doesn't mean unconventional). From a mainstream film making perspective it makes absolutely no sense to withhold audience payoff, especially when music is instrumental in the delivery and execution of said emotional responses.

People seem very intend these days to find some huge conspiracy of PJ against Howard Shore. It's quite ridiculous actually. I wonder when this started, was it after he rejected King Kong?

Using the omitted Fellowship climax from the the symphony version of Khazad Dum to somehow "prove" Shore had less "obvious" aspirations for FOTR sounds like people are just looking for things to be wrong.

Like with his OST, Shore had to cut down his 3 hour score for FOTR to about something much shorter, and have that make musical sense somehow. Apparently this was done as a bit of a rush job, I'm not even sure if Shore was the one who did that or that is was John Mauceri of the Hollywood Bowl (I seem to recall he was involved).

Basically the symphony is a reduced version of the OST's (though he did stick in some, at the time, unreleased music for the TTT and ROTK movements.)

I'm sure glad the Ringwraiths weren't CGI. I thought they were one of the best designs in the LotR trilogy.

• 2 years later...