Howard Shore's THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Faleel

Christian Afonso did several transcriptions. I've been meaning to ask him if he still has the PDFs around (I misplaced mine)... will report back.

Please do - I would also be interested! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Edward Ross is not a cast member, Ren.

Back in the day many complained because McKellen, Viggo, Billy Boyd etc... were not professional singers (forgetting that Boyd is in fact a successful musical star)

OK, so I was able to clarify with you earlier via messages. I do in fact realize that Ross isn't an actor - I was just merely trying to clarify if people were upset with specific songs and the chosen singers for the release or the actual actors themselves.

So, sometimes actors want to be the person who does their own singing, especially if they 'think' they can sing. But in this case I think Shore was correct in having the actors do their own singing and using it on the recording. Shore worked hard on this Middle Earth masterpiece, Using specific instruments and orchestration to set apart each area. I believe he used something like 90 motifs in his work. The use of amateur singers voices I'm sure Shore wanted to lend a sincerity/earthy tone to the pieces. Boyd's performance for example is hallow and and weary, his voice almost inaudibly cutting in and out as he's singing. What kind of mood would it have created to have a perfectly sung performance in that respect? I think Shore was spot on including all the actor's own singing, it lends a sense of realism to a fantastic time.

When I am choosing soloists, much to the dismay of the auditionees, I don't always choose the best singer - I choose the one who can convey the message and set the tone.

Back in the day many complained because McKellen, Viggo, Billy Boyd etc... were not professional singers (forgetting that Boyd is in fact a successful musical star)

Many? I read about everything I could find concerning Shore's music for LOTR and its various releases and I can hardly remember any of the 'complaints' you refer to. Bluffing again to validate a point...? ;)

People on this MB and others were complaining about the 'untrained" voices of the actors and would have preferred that they would have just released the underscore.

Hell even for the ROTK OST people were bitching about Viggo's crooning!

So either you are looking in all the wrong places, which is typical of you, or you aren't getting my point. Meaning that there's a language barrier.

People on this MB.....

No need to say anything more. When the complaints were founded on this board I'll believe you in a heartbeat.

The only bit where I remember it bothering me a little was Gandalf's ditty at the beginning of Bag End. The singing works in the context of the scene, but it's still a piece of score underneath which I'd love to have had clean.

(it's clean in one of the EE menus, but I felt that was 'polluting' the set somehow)

The only bit where I remember it bothering me a little was Gandalf's ditty at the beginning of Bag End. The singing works in the context of the scene, but it's still a piece of score underneath which I'd love to have had clean.

(it's clean in one of the EE menus, but I felt that was 'polluting' the set somehow)

agreed.....not long enough to be included. at least have a full verse

Under 3500 posts, in 10 years....

Pffff... you are lucky I even talk to you.

I'm sure some of the moderators lowered my post count over the years. But never forget: I was one of the first 10 members of this board. ;)

You live in the past old man!

Says the guy who wrote this on his Facebook page:

Trying to skate outside, already fell on my ass 3 times, schoolchildren and pointing and mocking...

;)

The only singing I didn't like was Liv Tyler in the House of Healing. It just doesn't sound like it belongs in Middle Earth IMO. I think it is there to make Liv Tyler happy more then to serve a purpose in the movie (or score).

You live in the past old man!

Says the guy who wrote this on his Facebook page:

Trying to skate outside, already fell on my ass 3 times, schoolchildren and pointing and mocking...

;)

That was funny Roald....

agreed.....not long enough to be included. at least have a full verse

Actually, if memory serves, the theatrical cut had McKellen singing but no underscore. Shore then added a little underscore for the EE. In any case, he just provides chords for Gandalf's song. It's not that the singing pollutes a great musical moment, the orchestra there is just backing up the singing.

Now Ian Holm's vocal of the same song later in the score still annoys me. Because it's totally unrelated to the actual score.

• 4 months later...

Listened to a little bit of FOTR today...

I had a sudden urge to listen to the Fighting Uruk-hai sequence from the CR last week. Wonderful. Also the alternate Breaking of the Fellowship.

I avoid over-listening to LotR so I can go months without playing a single track - then when I do, it's very fulfilling.

I just listened to Fellowship of the Ring alternates and rarities this morning on my way to work. I think I'll continue with the CR once I get back home. It has been too long since I took a good long listen of it.

yes, I do!!! soon, overplaying will be a fact. I need to get out while I still can.

:lol: They just keep pulling you back, don't they Alice?

I take breaks from these scores and it is actually great to revisit them after a longer period of time, when they sound a bit fresher.