Howard Shore's THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Faleel

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I suppose by that, musically, he means towards the Grey Havens material.

Someone like the Amazon showrunners could be literal-minded and take that theme for a Lindon theme, but it really speaks to the Grey Havens not so much as a place, but as a passage to Valinor.

I doubt that HanZ or whoever scores this will take that close a look at Shore's existing material and draw from it...other than the Nazgûl material, which is in d-minor already.

@Spider-Fal

METANNAAAAA!!

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, Kühni said:

I doubt that HanZ or whoever scores this will take that close a look at Shore's existing material and draw from it...other than the Nazgûl material, which is in d-minor already.

@Spider-Fal

METANNAAAAA!!

it’d be amazing if Zimmer did the TV show. Just purely for the meltdown on here!

• 1 month later...

Also after listening through the Rarities while reading Doug's notes again... I always thought that early Sammath Naur here and on the OST was just a bland choral mush, but I suddenly just got what it's doing and now I love it and listened to it about 10 times since Tuesday.

The Lord of the Rings Score Stream final chapter starting now! With commentary from Doug Adams himself, it's time for The Return of the King, Part 1!

Also, are any of you even watching these, or am I literally shouting into the void?

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What I've sampled so far seems interesting, but I really can't stand that host.

I wonder if he’s the one who runs the TORn twitter account? Whoever does that is an awful dope. They have a real inferiority complex about other franchises. Any time there’s big news in another franchise they’re tweeting “hey don’t forget Lord of the Rings”. 

Lord of the Rings is better than all of them, you don’t have to do that. 

I haven’t gotten around to these yet but the hosts always worry me in these types of things. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Can they get another host?

Damn, you really have it out for this guy huh? I can't really say I get why, I think he's pretty fun

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I wonder if he’s the one who runs the TORn twitter account? Whoever does that is an awful dope. They have a real inferiority complex about other franchises. Any time there’s big news in another franchise they’re tweeting “hey don’t forget Lord of the Rings”.

I think I kinda get what you mean, as much of a Tolkien fan that I am, I can't really see the appeal of joining a community that ONLY cares about LotR. Hell, it took a long time before I decided to make a profile here, for pretty much the same reason.

10 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I wonder if he’s the one who runs the TORn twitter account? Whoever does that is an awful dope.

I believe that’s the other guy - the one who’s on the microphone in these commentaries. Most of the misinformation I’ve heard coming out of TheOneRing about anything (and I’ve heard plenty) came from him, rather than from Cliff.

12 hours ago, Monoverantus said:

Damn, you really have it out for this guy huh? I can't really say I get why, I think he's pretty fun

I think I kinda get what you mean, as much of a Tolkien fan that I am, I can't really see the appeal of joining a community that ONLY cares about LotR. Hell, it took a long time before I decided to make a profile here, for pretty much the same reason.

its like Lucasfilm announced all those new Star Wars shows the other week and Torn were tweeting about how Amazon should be watching and planning to produce even more Tolkien shows.

Lets wait and see how the first show turns out before getting carried away. 

48 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

its like Lucasfilm announced all those new Star Wars shows the other week and Torn were tweeting about how Amazon should be watching and planning to produce even more Tolkien shows.

Jesus Christ... yeah fuck that

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I want the film versions of ROTK, can it be found anywhere legally?

You can buy the OST or Complete Recordings.

The OST represents a highlights package of what had been written and recorded at the time of its release. 

The Complete Recordings is the full score for the Extended Edition of the film as Shore intended. 

10 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I want the film versions of ROTK, can it be found anywhere legally?

The Complete Recordings set released in 2007 (and reissued in 2018) contains everything you hear in the EE cut of the film.

For music that was in the theatrical cut but got replaced by inserts or revisions in the EE, some is on the 2003 OST album, and some is on the free CD that comes with Doug's book.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do people think of this album of re-recordings? Is it right that all tracks were recorded in 2015?

image.png

The LOTR tracks all predate 2015, and are identical to the City of Prague's recordingsfrom this 2004 release - 61viiZnqHkL._SS500_PIPJStripe-Robin-Larg

I believe the Hobbit tracks were scattered over different sessions in the years each Hobbit score came out, but I may be wrong about that.

The recordings are fine, not extraordinary and if your ear is finely tuned to know what an orchestra is supposed to do I expect you'll find some flubs. My ears aren't that picky, but I still tend to just listen to the OSTs.

I sampled all of Prague's re-recordings of LOTR/Hobbit music and didn't find any of it worth returning to.  The original performances are all better in every way.

If you are looking for a shortened experience of the whole saga, you could just go on Spotify and made a playlist of the tracks by the same names from the OST albums instead of listening to their re-recordings

I do like the instrumental versions of the songs as an oddity (they aren't just stripped of vocals and left there, I believe they have a solo instrument doubling the vocal line).  But I agree with Jay.

I'm mainly looking for a collection of highlights from films 2 - 6, as those OSTs are too long for my taste. And I like to have stuff on CD. Has any other than Prague/Silva recorded compilations Shore's Middle earth music?

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The LOTR tracks all predate 2015, and are identical to the City of Prague's recordingsfrom this 2004 release - 61viiZnqHkL._SS500_PIPJStripe-Robin-Larg

I believe the Hobbit tracks were scattered over different sessions in the years each Hobbit score came out, but I may be wrong about that.

The recordings are fine, not extraordinary and if your ear is finely tuned to know what an orchestra is supposed to do I expect you'll find some flubs. My ears aren't that picky, but I still tend to just listen to the OSTs.

I checked out that older compilation once, and my impression was similar to Jay's.

I was hoping they had done new, improved recordings for the most recent compilation...

59 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I do like the instrumental versions of the songs as an oddity (they aren't just stripped of vocals and left there, I believe they have a solo instrument doubling the vocal line).  But I agree with Jay.

That sounds like a better version of I See Fire!

22 hours ago, Jay said:

For music that was in the theatrical cut but got replaced by inserts or revisions in the EE, some is on the 2003 OST album, and some is on the free CD that comes with Doug's book.

Was the theatrical version ending of The Last Debate ever released anywhere? They totally changed that sequence for the EE, along with a revised ending.

The original version has this really cool buildup to the Gondor theme as Aragorn leads the departure from Minas Tirith to the Black Gate.

Not 'released' as such, but quite a few years ago, one (at least) of the 'battle for middle earth' video games contained quite a bit of unreleased theatrical music, and it was very easily extracted, although the quality's not brilliant.

It contains the alternative ending for The Last Debate, as well as the theatrical version of Sam running up the tower at Cirith Ungol. (I think it was a big mistake of PJ's to put in the Orc shot for the EE, and interrupt that great musical build-up)

If only they had a Rarities Vol. 2 for all these unreleased cues that everyone covets!

It just feels like the single disc first volume wasn't anywhere near enough, given the amount of unreleased music composed for the trilogy.

But I suspect we'll see totally updated complete score releases for all 3 films (in line with the format of modern score expansions) before that ever happens.

The rarities as a concept was never intended to do what contemporary expansions do - the moment it was included in a mass-market product (relatively), it was always going to be oriented towards listening. It's been mentioned by one or two people involved in some way or another, that cues were dropped because they didn't fit with whatever 'flow' they were going for.

Particularly, that the alternate Breaking of the Fellowship isn't available anywhere outside playing the DVD credits, is astonishing. I would've said that were a #1 candidate for inclusion.

I'd love updated expansions as much as the next LotR fan, but I just can't see it happening. If the CRs were only revisited last year with no musical content change, I don't see the appetite from Shore nor anyone else involved, in making even more music available.