Question about the Complete Recordings DVDs

bollemanneke

I'm currently considering to buy the Complete Recordings sets, but have several questions I'd like to have answered first.

I currently have the music in 5.1, AC3, 448KBPS (without being bothered by moral concerns). The format seemed appealing because all my other DVDs have the same audio specifics and I'm very happy about the format. The music sounds very good, but there isn't a groundbreaking difference compared to the stereo recording, though some reviewers have claimed the opposite. What's more, the live performances I attended, in mono, sounded twnenty times clearer and better than the 5.1 track I have now. Especially the choir sounded much clearer, closer and more powerful.

I'm eager to check out the Advanced Resolution audio, but is it really better? I've heard that it alarms the whole street, but is that just talk or is there really a noticeable difference between the AC3 and Advanced Resolution surround audio? Most importantly, does the choir sound any better? Can you actually hear them articulate, or is it the same massive unclear sound?

Also, how practical are those DVDs? I've read that you can't even fast-forward. I would only be using them on a computer. Is it a standard DVD with chapters and titles, or what are they exactly? I just want to know because buying ten CDs I'll never even use seems stupid, but I'm willing to consider it if those DVDs are really worth it.

EDIT: It appears I can't buy them anymore, but I've found another way to get the Advanced Resolution version. Still not very impressed. Yes, there is a slight difference, but that's all.

I can't remember there being major difference in the choir balance and audibility but it has been quite a bit of time since I listened to the DVD-audio. To my ears the audibility of the choral lyrics varies quite a bit between pieces but I wouldn't say it is just "massive unclear sound" throughout.

As for the DVDs, they are standard fare with each track being a chapter.

Also I am greatly interested to know where are you going to find the CRs without paying exorbitant amounts for them. They fetch ridiculous prices these days.

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well. :) Just had a look at the prices... Dear me.

As for the choral balance, I can't come up with a better word than 'unclear'. What I mean is, when you hear them live, or when you listen to the symphony, you can actually hear them speak words. But in the scores they're always drowned out, mixed lower etc. You konw, you can never say: 'That's an alto, that's a soprano.'

Ah I see.

To be honest, I pretty much always listen to my rips of the audio CDs.  I have played the 5.1 tracks through the DVD player in my living room, but I don't do that that often.

I've never been able to take advantage of the high resolution version, though, since I didn't have a compatible receiver, but we should have one soon.

Whether or not you can hear the advanced resolution on your PC is entirely depending on the DAC you're using.

Hmm, I haven't really looked into that. I have Logitech Z5500 speakers and a Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card. There's certainly a difference, but somehow I was hoping for something more spectacular. The six channels aren't really used to their full extent either.

Your DAC should be good enough then.  Hopefully others will chime in with what they think about the sound quality differences

When he started the thread, he didn't know they were out of print.  See the last line edit of the main post where he realizes that.

Anyways, Doug Adams tweeted that he worked on reissues in 2015, so perhaps now that the Blu Ray sets have been announced, a CR reissue statement is forthcoming

12 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Holy shit, the prices have risen again. A new TTT Set is 800 bucks on Amazon.

You'd expect it to come with a hand selected shelf for that kind of money!!