Faleel's Maniacal Treasure Hunt for Unreleased LOTR Music

Faleel

Hmmm, weird. If it was tracked, it'd be weird to take that one out and not all the other tracked bits. If its original, it'd be kind of weird to remove an entire theme statement, especially since the other trims and tucks done were mostly for repetitive bars and not unique music. Interesting. Find the untouched cue in a game somewhere! :)

BTW the low male choir from Saruman the White is in the film, so its probably just mixed way low on the CR.

Also, the music in "The Pass of Caradhras" for the EE line "We cannot stay here! this will be the death of the Hobbits!" is looped/tracked from earlier in the cue.

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2013 at 5:53 PM, gkgyver said:

You realised this just now?

Well, its not like we have a breakdown of all the FOTR CR cues that re microedited/tracked/missing music.

BTW, is the music in The Great Eye at 1:27, when Gimli breaks his staff tracked (from The Caverns of Isengard or A Shortcut to Mushrooms and A Conspiracy Unmasked), pitch shifted, and slowed down?

It was interesting, how in one of the FSM print articles, it was PJ that suggested the Rarities, and championed for including everything on the CR's (even if there is stuff missing still.)

Sad that we did not get that "first take of the Fellowship theme we did" though

I believe this could be an alternate for Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe, for the shot of Gandalf arriving at Minas Tirith. Or an alternate/expanded bit from The Black Rider.

I believe this could be an alternate for Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe, for the shot of Gandalf arriving at Minas Tirith. Or an alternate/expanded bit from The Black Rider.

Yes the Mordor Skip-Beat snippet at the end points to that direction in my opinion as well.

• 5 months later...

Gosh I got goosebumps... The version on the CR already killed me, but this version (with the extra hardanger) brought me back to life!

This version (at least as recorded) is missing the overwhelming bass drum hits at the beginning of Nature's Reclamation and as such, not much tingling of my spine has occurred.

I agree. It really needs that weight behind it. The additional hardanger passage was interesting but not really something I would consider absolutely essential. A nice accent. Still that is one heck of a scene. One of my favourite from the novel. Shore sure treated in the best possible way I think. :)

I agree. It really needs that weight behind it.

I am sure that it sounded fine live, its the camera that is the problem.

and the NR portion was never my spine tingly moment anyways..

I just love those brass fanfares, as you can see the fear spread through the Orcs....

Since I had nothing to do, I thought I would mockup some of the Live To Projection music:

Prologue: On Ring to Rule Them All (Restored choir from 2:00 to 2:22)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9Ym9BcjZlME1Tc1k/edit?usp=sharing

Theoden's Decision (Nature's Reclamation Choir, Mockup, Approximate)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9aEtYY0pYU1hkTHc/edit?usp=sharing

I just love those brass fanfares, as you can see the fear spread through the Orcs....

Since I had nothing to do, I thought I would mockup some of the Live To Projection music:

Prologue: On Ring to Rule Them All (Restored choir from 2:00 to 2:22)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9Ym9BcjZlME1Tc1k/edit?usp=sharing

If they had included this choral version on the CR (or Rarities), it would have become my most favourite single track of all time!

Well it already is mine. The Prologue solidified my fandom of Shore's LotR the first time I heard it in the theater. The choral passage is a nice one I admit but again I am quite happy with the one we have on CD. Makes me wonder was this choral version ever recorded in the sessions back in 2001.

I believe so. you can hear a slice of it in the TT game cutscenes. (BTW just some minutae, the version above is slightly longer than the Live To Projection, because that bit is microedited in the film and CR.)

I think I actually prefer the brass there (from the original) first since the choir follows suit almost immediately anyways.
And yes, that track has already secured its place as one of my favourites.

I like the additional brass as Gandalf is being led through the Minas Tirith Archives.

• 4 months later...

I just found some really cool unreleased minutiae in the Use Well The Days documentary.

Hint: the bits of music I found are from The Black Gate Opens, The Fellowship Reunited, and Frodo's Song V2.

Just found some unreleased music from A Conspiracy Unmasked in the LOTR The Third Age game, its the Threat of Mordor underneath Gandalf talking about the ring at the tea-table.

Now I have found the ending of the theatrical version of The Last Debate. (Evil History Hybrid?)

Just found some unreleased music from A Conspiracy Unmasked in the LOTR The Third Age game, its the Threat of Mordor underneath Gandalf talking about the ring at the tea-table.

:w00t:

I also found the short bit of music microedited from the CR for Gandalf reading the account of Isildur, so with these two bits, almost everything in the EE version of the film should be "out there" in one way or another.

Found a converter that can do the TTT video game, but I can't identify any music files in the Third Age game (PS2)...

Check your PM's.

Alright, so I was able to get hold of Youtube videos of the FOTR live to projection, and miraculously, I was able to get hold of pretty much every scene that Jim Ware's notes indicate as having changes.

So without furthur ado, here are some of these bits recreated either with creative editing of the existing recordings, or via mockups:

The Flight To The Ford (Alternate and Live To Projection version)

The Sword That Was Broken (Live To Projection Version)

A Shortcut To Mushrooms (Live To Projection Version)

• 3 months later...

Just something I noticed because of listening to the Use Well the Days doc:

Compare to 9:03-9:19 of the OST track The Return of the King to 9:23-9:39 of the CR track The Fellowship Reunited, the Fiddle is missing from the CR track (either dialed out from the CR, or mixed really low), the Use Well the Days Doc has a few extra seconds of fiddle from 9:18-9:23 of the CR track, and a Whistle statement of the Shire theme from 10:31-11:02 of the CR track.

UWTD also has a missing section of Frodo's Song V2, it goes between 0:42 of Days of the Ring and the bit from Pt. 2 of the conversations with HS on the rarities.

and an alternate of The Mouth of Sauron 3:17-3:29