Faleel's Maniacal Treasure Hunt for Unreleased LOTR Music

Faleel

I would just like a list that says:

"Keep this

This

and This

But you do not need to keep these

'k? bai!"

um, what do you think? I am making a Master Tracklist, the CR, with Rarities material, my own rips (DVD, menu, and VG), and alternate OST material

Then it sounds like Jim Ware's PDFs give you all the information you need to find versions of cues unique to each official release. I don't know what you're complaining about.

Then Jim Ware's three PDFs linked by BloodBoal will not do what you want.

Those lists examine every second of the single-disc OST albums, to explain how the complete amount of music was edited and condensed to create the OSTs. If you wanted to hack apart the CR's to make the OSTs, his guides would let you do that, for the most part. If there were alternates or re-recordings in the OST that were not in the CR, you could not get them from the CR.

After listening to the CRs for six years, the OSTs sound extremely strange (to me). Jim's guide decipers the jumbled edits that made the OSTs.

Jim's files don't mention the Rarities because they were not available in 2008, and he does not list material ripped from games or the DVDs as it is technically unreleased.

It sounds like you want a list that says:

Track 1: Something from OST

Track 2: Something Alternate from CR

Track 3: Something from OST

Track 4: Tracks combined from CR

etc.

Good luck. Especially if you don't want to slice and dice tracks.

Faleel I would just organize and edit everything yourself then post your findings / track list here.

Just listen to all the various versions and decide which version to put in the main body of the score and which to put as an alternate, etc. Make it exactly the way you want it, not the way some other person's list tells you to.

Faleel I would just organize and edit everything yourself then post your findings / track list here.

Just to clarify, do you mean, the whole 70+ tracklist? or just the OST/alternate material?

I just meant whatever it is you're doing, post updates saying what you did. If you wanted to. Good way to get input and ideas for your project

Well now is a good time to start I guess.

I just finished combing the TTT OST, here is a list of what I found

62: The Three Hunters (OST/Alternate) - Alternate Take of the Rohan Theme (?)

63: Gandalf The White (OST/Alternate) - Alternate of the Shadowfax section

64: The Wolves of Isengard (OST/Alternate) - Choir instead of Hardanger

for FOTR:

47: Saruman The White (OST/Alternate) - Additional Choir overlay

48: Concerning Hobbits (OST/Alternate) - Alternate Recording (The "fanfare" when the party sign is being put up is played by strings [and its faster tempo too])

50: At the Sign of the Prancing Pony (OST/Alternate) - It has the rarities archive material, but without choir (much like the VG TTT's exp awarding screen)

51: The Great River (OST/Theatrical Alternate) - Alternate orchestration/mix

52: The Breaking of the Fellowship (OST/Alternate Ending) - has an alternate ending

if anybody knows something I don't, feel free to correct me

I will not go into the minutiae of the edits made for the OSTs (Jim Ware's break downs will do that perfectly well) but here are the most noteworthy alternate/TE passages from FotR. Again those more meticulous feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

Fellowship of the Ring OST:

The Prophecy: Alternate of the Prologue composed for an earlier cut of the film.

Concerning Hobbits: Alternate/TE version (slight edits). A version nearer to the TE is available on the FotR EE Fan Credits.

The Shadow of the Past: 0:00-0:58 alternate for Keep it Secret, Keep It Safe (4:06 onwards). Intermediate version using the Pity of Gollum Theme instead of the History of the Ring theme. Also the Nazgûl leaving Minas Morgul choir passage is mixed with the choir in the fore.

The Treason of Isengard: Alternate. Beginning heavily edited, the ending contains a longer version of the Wizard's duel choir (about 15 seconds longer than on the CR).

The Black Rider: Alternate. Edited but contains a prominent choir mix, substituting certain orchestral passages with the choir.

At the Sign of the Prancing Pony: Alternate. The final Isengard statement without the choir (Rarities has the complete piece with the choir).

A Knife in the Dark: Alternate. Again the choral mix of the Ringwraith theme is more prominent in the Amon Sûl sequence.

A Journey in the Dark: Contains the TE version of the Dwarven choral music(0:00-1:16).

Lothlorien: The beginning (0:00-2:33) is the TE version of the piece.

The Great River: TE version (0:00-0:50) and an alternate of the Fellowship theme (0:51-1:26).

Amon Hen: TE version of the piece, but edited down.

TTT OST:

The Passage Of The Marshes: TE version (1:42-end) of Gollum's Menace theme as he is leading the the troop to the Dead Marshes (My Precious on the CR).

The King of the Golden Hall: Alternate. The opening (0:06-0:18) Rohan fanfare played by Hardanger instead of trumpet as in the film version. CR contains a hybrid with both trumpet and hardanger playing together.

The White Rider: Alternate Gandalf the White and Shadowfax material (0:40-end).

Helm's Deep: Edited down alternate of Wolves of Isengard with choir instead of the hardanger (0:00-1:46).

Forth Eorlingas: Opening (0:00-0:58) an alternate (or a different mix) of the White Rider in Nature choral theme on the track The Nazgûl Attack on the CR.

RotK OST:

The White Tree: Alternate of Lighting of the Beacons.

Cirith Ungol: Alternate cor anglais line dialed out of the CR track. (See Jim Ware's comments in his analysis)

Andúril: Alternate Reforging of the Narsil/Andúril Flame of the West with lenghtier development of Rivendell and Minas Tirith themes.

The Black Gate Opens: Alternate composition, edited down.

The End of All Things: Alternate/Early version. Most likely heavily edited down, original full version can be heard on the Rarities Archive track Sammath Naur.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a list or cue analysis of Fellowship of the Ring? I want to compile everything, and there's apparently pieces on the OST that aren't the CR, rips from special features and menus to be used, things like that. Anyone have a list like this?

If someone could do an editing guide of all this stuff à la the old Star Wars ones, that would be great, though. Aren't there any big LOTR aficionados here?

• 1 year later...

Just listen to all the various versions and decide which version to put in the main body of the score and which to put as an alternate, etc. Make it exactly the way you want it, not the way some other person's list tells you to.

okay then, here we go:

The Lord of the Rings (I)- The Fellowship of the Ring (Complete Archival Edition)

1. Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All (Alternate) (5:56)

2. Prologue: One Ring to Rule Them All (7:15)

3. The Shire (2:29)

4. Bag End (4:36) (No Mckellen)

5. Very Old Friends (3:12)

6. Flaming Red Hair (2:38)

7. Farewell Dear Bilbo

8. Happily Ever After

9. Shadows of the Past

10. A Conspiracy Unmasked

11. Three is Company

12. The Passing of the Elves, song (aka 'The Elvish Lament')

13. Saruman The White (Additional Choir Overlay From OST Added)

14. A Shortcut to Mushrooms

15. Strider

16. The Nazgul (No Viggo)

17. A Knife in the Dark (Additional Choir Overlay From OST Added)

18. The Caverns of Isengard

19. Give Up the Halfling

20. Orthanc

21. Rivendell

22. The Sword That Was Broken

23. The Council of Elrond Assembles (includes 'Aníron, Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)

24. The Great Eye

25. Gilraen's Memorial

26. The Pass of Caradhras

27. The Doors of Durin

28. Moria

29. Gollum

30. Balin's Tomb (8:29)

31. Khazad-Dûm

32. Caras Galadhon (includes 'Lament for Gandalf' (Boyens-Shore))

33. The Mirror of Galadriel

34. The Fighting Uruk-Hai (Includes Intro from Rarities)

35. Parth Galen

36. The Departure of Boromir

37. The Road Goes Ever On... Pt. 1

38. May It Be

39. The Road Goes Ever On... Pt. 2 (includes 'In Dreams' (Walsh-Shore))

40. The Prophecy (OST)

41. Battle At Gorgoroth (Film Mix)

43. The Shire (Mock-Up/Suite)

44. Concerning Hobbits (OST/Alternate)

45. Concerning Hobbit (Theatrical Version 2)

46. Concerning Hobbit (Theatrical Version 3)

47. The Shadow of the Past (OST)

48. The Road to Isengard (OST)

49. Saruman The White (OST/Alternate)

50. Shortcut To Mushrooms (Film Mix No Choir)

51. The Black Rider (OST)

52. Saruman The White (Alternate) (0:47)

53. The Nazgul (OST/Alternate)

54. To Rivendell (Film Version and Alternate)

55. A Knife in the Dark (OST)

56. Flight to the Ford (Alternate)

57. The Red Eye (Film Edit?)

58. Moria (Mockup)

59. A Journey in the Dark (OST)

60. Lothlorien (OST)

61. The Great River (OST/Theatrical Alternate)

62. The Uruk-Hai (Alternate)

63. The Great River (Theatrical Version 2)

64. The Argonath (Alternate)

65. Amon Hen (OST) (5:02)

66. May it Be (OST/Alternate)

67. The Breaking Of The Fellowship (Alternate) (6:42)

68. The Road Goes Ever On (Gandalf's Arrival Ft. Ian Mckellen) (0:43)

69. "The Song of Lúthien" (Mortensen) (0:32)

70. Aníron, Theme for Aragorn and Arwen (2:14)

71. Gandalf's Farewells (No Soprano) (2:11)

Who is McKellan?

It is the most common spelling mistake of sir Ian McKellen's surname you oaf! Of course you cleverly tried hard not be labeled as a spelling nazi BloodBoal with your oh so innocent question.

okay then, here we go:

The Lord of the Rings (I)- The Fellowship of the Ring (Complete Archival Edition)

Why would you add an alternate for the prologue at the beginning, and do it for no other cue in the score? Why didn't you put it together with The Prophecy at the end?

You make no sense, sir!

What is the music in The Special Features/DVD Credits menu on the FOTR Theatrical DVD? Another alternate prologue?

What is the music in The Special Features/DVD Credits menu on the FOTR Theatrical DVD? Another alternate prologue?

Anybody?

I listened to it, and as far as the special features menu music is concerned, I suppose it is a slight expansion of the cue of Gandalf sitting on Orthanc.

With the DVD credits music I'm not sure. From the sound of it, it could be an alternate to the suspense music when Saruman tells Gandalf about the eye of Sauron.

But, listening to the DVD music, the question I have is: where does the Ring theme from the disc 1 main menu come from? It has such a gorgeous orchestration with the first violins divided into octaves, that is different from the finished prologue.

That I want.

I listened to it, and as far as the special features menu music is concerned.

That I want.

I mean on Disc 1.

After a few months of lurking in this forum, I'm finally coming out of the shadows in the hope that someone might have the names and approximate lengths of each of the cues contained in any of the EE/fan club credits. If not, I'm sure I'll figure most of it out eventually, but any help would be appreciated! I haven't learned that much with my limited search skills, but I do know for instance that the fan credits for FOTR contain an unreleased version of Concerning Hobbits and the coveted alternate for The Breaking of the Fellowship. I guess I'm just hoping for a little more detailed information.

I also have a question for Faleel. I'm using the CRs, the OSTs, the rarities archive, and the EE blu-ray to create my own edit of the score, but you seem to have several tracks in your "complete archival" edit that I've yet to come across (e.g. Happily Ever After, The Nazgul (No Viggo), Battle at Gorgoroth (Film Mix)). Were these all edits of material I've listed above or did they come from another source?

I don't mean to be too long-winded, but I figured if anyone could help me, it would be the kind folks at this board! :)

After a few months of lurking in this forum, I'm finally coming out of the shadows in the hope that someone might have the names and approximate lengths of each of the cues contained in any of the EE/fan club credits. If not, I'm sure I'll figure most of it out eventually, but any help would be appreciated! I haven't learned that much with my limited search skills, but I do know for instance that the fan credits for FOTR contain an unreleased version of Concerning Hobbits and the coveted alternate for The Breaking of the Fellowship. I guess I'm just hoping for a little more detailed information.

I also have a question for Faleel. I'm using the CRs, the OSTs, the rarities archive, and the EE blu-ray to create my own edit of the score, but you seem to have several tracks in your "complete archival" edit that I've yet to come across (e.g. Happily Ever After, The Nazgul (No Viggo), Battle at Gorgoroth (Film Mix)). Were these all edits of material I've listed above or did they come from another source?

I don't mean to be too long-winded, but I figured if anyone could help me, it would be the kind folks at this board! :)

Happily ever after is the first part of keep it scret keep it safe.

the film mix came from a DVDrip, and

I would be more interested where Gandalfs Farewell without soprano comes from.

I would be more interested to know why the soprano should not be there?

I would be more interested to know why you think the soprano should be there?

I would be more interested to know why you think the soprano should be there?

I would be more interested to know why you care that he cares whether or not the soprano should be there?

From the Complete Recordings DVD 5.1 Audio channel.

Really? Do you think that is also the source for Bag End (No McKellan) and The Nazgul (No Viggo)?

All you have to do is rip the audio from the DVD, remove the center channel, and voila: no more Viggo or McKellen.

Doesn't work on the other songs though, such as Eowyn's funeral song in TTT (there is too much echo on the other channels)

I did the same thing with Aniron, there is still echo but less of it.

"Happily Ever After"? Seriously, Fal?

fotr0205.jpg

"I've thought up an ending for my book: And he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days."

Thanks guys!

I did the same thing with Aniron, there is still echo but less of it.

"Happily Ever After"? Seriously, Fal?

fotr0205.jpg

"I've thought up an ending for my book: And he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days."

I think both "an ending for my book" and "to the end of his days" would be equally good titles.

All you have to do is rip the audio from the DVD, remove the center channel, and voila: no more Viggo or McKellen.

I just listen to the CR's as I bought them. I'm not an album producer.

• 3 months later...

Here we go again:

The Lord of the Rings (III): The Return of the King (Complete Archival Edition)

1. Main Title/Roots And Beginnings/Death of Deagol @ (6:31)

2. Food Rations (2:17)

3. The Road to Isengard/The Hobbits (2:18)

4. The Foot of Orthanc/The Death of Saruman/ (4:44)

5. Return to Edoras (1:51)

6. The Hobbit Party Song (Instrumental) = (0:33)

7. The Chalice Passed (1:50)

8. Gollum's Villainy (2:10)

9. Éowyn's Dream (1:24)

10. Fool of a Took (3:10)

11. Flight from Edoras (2:18)

12. The Grace of Undomiel/Minas Tirith # (6:38)

13. Denethor/The Eyes of the White Tower/Gondor's Decline (4:33)

14. In The Morgul Vale (8:27)

15. The Lighting Of The Beacons/'Gondor Calls For Aid!'/'Rohan Will Answer!' [*] (9:03)

16. The Realm of Gondor (Suite) (5:13)

17. Osgiliath Invaded/The Route (8:47)

18. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol + (2:40)

19. Allegiance to Denethor (3:20)

20. The Sacrifice of Faramir/The Edge of Night [Ft. Billy Boyd] (4:08)

21. "Crumbs On His Jacket!" (4:04)

22. Marshalling at Dunharrow (4:56)

23. Andúril - Flame of the West (3:27)

24. Aragorn's Fate (4:12)

25. Dwimmorberg - The Haunted Mountain (2:26)

26. Master Meriadoc, Swordthain (1:39)

27. The Paths of the Dead (6:22)

28. Faramir Wounded/The Siege of Gondor |/| (8:52)

29. Shelob's Lair (506) (8:53)

30. "GROND!" (1:32)

31. Merry's Simple Courage (2:08)

32. Sam Vs. Shelob (5:12)

33. The Tomb of the Stewards (3:58)

34. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields (4:10)

35. The Pyre of Denethor (2:59)

36. The Mûmakil (0:57)

37. Dernhelm (2:06)

38. White Shores (1:27)

39. Shieldmaiden Of Rohan/"May the Best Dwarf Win!" (2:34)

40. Victory On The Pelennor [^] (2:54)

41. The Passing of Théoden (2:16)

42. The Houses of Healing/Pippin's Promise (2:58)

43. The Tower of Cirith Ungol (4:41)

44. The Last Debate/Asëa Aranion [^] (4:52)

45. The Land of Shadow/Gorogorath (6:29)

46. The Mouth of Sauron (8:15)

47. "For Frodo!" (3:41)

48. Sammath Naur: The End of All Things/The Crack of Doom/The Eagles [|/|] (10:18)

49. The Fellowship Reunited (12:18)

50. The Grey Havens (805) (7:34)

51. Eleanor [|/|] (1:29)

52. Days of the Ring (11:09)

53. Sissel's Song (2:57)

54. Return of The King Trailer Music (2:34)

55. Roots and Beginnings (Revised/Film SFX) (6:41)

56. Gondor Theme (Mockup-Suite) (2:18)

57. The Lighting Of The Beacons (Revised) (1:48)

58. The Sacrifice of Faramir/The Edge of Night [No Boyd] (3:36)

59. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol (OST/Alternate) (1:44)

60. Faramir Wounded/The Siege of Gondor (Revised) (3:14)

61. Andúril - Flame of the West (OST/Alternate) (2:35)

62. Anduril - Flame Of The West (Alternate) (6:43)

63. Shieldmaiden of Rohan (Film Version) (2:00)

64. Gwennin Inn Inn (Arwen's Song Mockup) (2:02)

65. The Houses Of Healing (Arwen's Song Complete) (2:11)

66. The Houses Of Healing (Instrumental) (2:58)

67. The Tower of Cirith Ungol (Theatrical/Alternate) (1:42)

68. The Mouth Of Sauron (OST/Alternate) (4:01)

69. Sammath Naur I: The End of All Things (Revised) (4:08)

70. Sammath Naur II: The Crack of Doom (Revised) (4:01)

71. Sammath Naur III: The Eagles (Revised) (2:23)

72. Eleanor (Revised) (1:27)

73. Frodo's Song (Mockup/Alternate) (2:23)

74. Frodo's Song (Intermediate Version) @ (1:34)

= Vocal Performance Removed

+ Instrument Restored

# Contains music from TE DVD Menu

[|/|] Contains Music from Rarities

@ Contains Music Ripped from In Conversation track from Rarities

[^] TE&EE Edited Together

I don't have nearly as many questions this time around, but as you said, here we go again... :D

Where'd "The Realm of Gondor," the revised versions of "Sammath Naur," and the 6 minute alternate for "Anduril" come from?

Where'd "The Realm of Gondor," the revised versions of "Sammath Naur," and the 6 minute alternate for "Anduril" come from?

The Realm of Gondor is a suite I created, of "Minas Tirith" (Soft 'Silver Trumpets" Ending), "The Grace of Undomiel" ("Silver Trumpets"), "Minas Tirith" (Gondor In Decline and Ascension), "The Lighting of the Beacons" (Artificially Extended), and edited version of "Shieldmaiden of Rohan (Theatrical Version)"

Sammath Naur Revised, are just the finale cues of ROTK from the CR:

Mount Doom

The Crack of Doom

The Eagles

Anduril came from the Rarities, and the OST.

there are some other things I forgot to list, I will update the tracklist slightly

Here is my Revised list for FOTR:

3. The Shire (2:29)

4. Bag End (4:36)

5. Very Old Friends (3:12)

6. Flaming Red Hair (2:38)

7. Farewell Dear Bilbo (1:45)

8. Happily Ever After (4:01)

9. Shadows of the Past (4:24)

10. A Conspiracy Unmasked (6:09)

11. Three is Company (1:57)

12. The Passing of the Elves (aka "The Elvish Lament") (2:39)

13. Saruman The White (4:09)

14. A Shortcut to Mushrooms (4:07)

15. Strider (2:34)

16. The Nazgul (6:43)

17. A Knife in the Dark (2:14)

18. The Caverns of Isengard (4:53)

19. Give Up The Halfling (5:32)

20. Orthanc (1:06)

21. Rivendell (3:25)

22. The Sword That Was Broken (3:33)

23. The Council of Elrond Assembles (includes "Aníron, Theme for Aragorn an (4:01)

24. The Great Eye (5:30)

25. Gilraen's Memorial (5:01)

26. The Pass of Caradhras (5:03)

27. The Doors of Durin (6:02)

28. Moria (2:27)

29. Gollum (2:26)

30. Balin's Tomb (8:29)

31. Khazad-Dûm (7:59)

32. Caras Galadhon (includes "Lament for Gandalf" (Boyens/Shore)) (9:20)

33. The Mirror of Galadriel (6:20)

34. The Fighting Uruk-Hai (12:03)

35. Parth Galen (9:13)

36. The Departure of Boromir (5:29)

37. The Road Goes Ever On/In Dreams/May It Be (Original LPO Version) (11:38)

38. Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All (Original Version) (3:54)

39. Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All (Film Edit) (0:19)

40. Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All (Alternate Excerpt) (2:22)

41. The Shire (Mock-Up/Suite) (2:00)

42. Bag End (OST/Alternate) (2:54)

43. Bag End (Theatrical Version 2) (3:00)

44. Bag End (Theatrical Version 3) (3:09)

45. A Conspiracy Unmasked (OST/Alternate) (3:32)

46. Saruman The White (Alternate) (4:09)

47. Three Is Company (OST/Alternate) (4:00)

48. Saruman The White (Potential Alternate) (0:13)

49. A Shortcut To Mushrooms (OST/Alternate) (2:47)

50. A Shortcut To Mushrooms (Alternate) (0:47)

51. A Shortcut To Mushrooms (Film Alternate No Choir) (0:27)

52. The Nazgul (Theatrical Version) (1:58)

53. The Nazgul (OST/Alternate) (0:33)

54. The Nazgul (Revised) (1:22)

55. Give Up The Halfling (Revised) (3:20)

56. The Red Eye (Film Alternate) (0:27)

57. Moria (Mockup) (1:44)

58. Moria (Theatrical Alternate) (4:20)

59. Caras Galadhon (Theatrical Alternate) (4:33)

60. The Fighting Uruk-Hai (OST/Theatrical Alternate) (2:42)

61. The Fighting Uruk-Hai (Unused Intro Isolated) (1:47)

62. The Fighting Uruk-Hai (Theatrical Alternate) (2:49)

63. The Fighting Uruk-Hai (Revised) (4:33)

64. Parth Galen (Theatrical Alternate) (5:02)

65. The Road Goes Ever On (Original NZSO Version) (6:42)

66. The Road Goes Ever On... (Revised) Pt. 1 (5:58)

67. May It Be (Revised) (3:26)

68. The Road Goes Ever On... (Revised) Pt. 2 (includes "In Dreams" (Walsh/Shore)) (3:41)

69. The Road Goes Ever On (Gandalf's Arrival Ft. Ian Mckellan) (0:43)

70. "The Song of Lúthien" (Mortensen) (0:32)

71. Aníron, Theme for Aragorn and Arwen (2:14)

72. Gandalf's Farewells (No Soprano) (2:11)