Faleel's Maniacal Treasure Hunt for Unreleased LOTR Music

Faleel

The Theatrical version of Amon Hen is in the game as well.

REALLY!? That is basically the one piece I was missing to finish my Complete Theatrical Edition edit of the FOTR score!!

It also has a fragment of The Doors of Durin, I believe with that piece, DVD rip, and the CR, it would be clean.

:drool:

:ola:

Are the sound files just in a folder when you open the disc, to simply copy over?

I don't know.

Here are the theatrical versions Jay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgu_GIvjjvM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZvZC6PxEfo

And here is a section that was microedited out of Khazad-Dum, which I previously ripped from the Previz of The Bridge of Khazad-Dum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9De0u2AjqI

I want to make an edit of the score as it existed before the EE Inserts were recorded, yes. It makes for a nice 2 1/2 hour listening experience instead of having to dig into a whole 3 hour + affair

People are actually want that Amon Hen cue? It's just an anvil (or other percussion instrument) being hit at the start of every bar.

Yeah, those aren't the most exciting microedits.

The thing is LotR is known for having a vast amount of unheard alternates, microedits, missing material, etc, etc; and naturally the completists will want to hear it all. :P

Personally, I've lost interest in a lot of the microedits. But every now and then, when cool stuff (like the Seduction of the Ring extension that Faleel discovered) are found, then I'm pretty excited by it.

I want to make an edit of the score as it existed before the EE Inserts were recorded, yes. It makes for a nice 2 1/2 hour listening experience instead of having to dig into a whole 3 hour + affair

Part of the fun is digging into that 3 hour+ affair ;)

Don't get me wrong I love the complete score, but there is something about the TE of FOTR - both the film itself and the score - that is so tight and to the point, it's really quite effective. I'll always prefer the EE versions of all the films, but the FOTR TE is a very, very successfully edited film. And while I love every note of the FOTR score, if I had to start picking my least favorite parts, a bunch of them are EE extensions.

FOTR can easily be whittled down into a nice 2 disc listening experience, without sacrificing much, TTT is the easiest though, ROTK ended up being 3 discs for me.

Totally agreed on FOTR, TTT too (for me personally I don't care for the Arwen music or the Elrond/Galadriel scene music so i would junk all that and probably be down to 2 discs no problem). ROTK is still a score I haven't FULLY delved myself into and fully connected with, so my highlights might even fit on one disc now until I can connect to everything more. And wouldn't just be picking the right tracks, it would be massively editing down a lot of them to get the good bits out of long tracks with a lot of different music in them.

Don't get me wrong I love the complete score, but there is something about the TE of FOTR - both the film itself and the score - that is so tight and to the point, it's really quite effective. I'll always prefer the EE versions of all the films, but the FOTR TE is a very, very successfully edited film. And while I love every note of the FOTR score, if I had to start picking my least favorite parts, a bunch of them are EE extensions.

Oh no I agree. For me, if I had to start cutting down material, I'd start doing it from the TTT EE additional material. FotR works best on its own. But the RotK CR is the most essential, just because thematically, it's so much more complex, and details are everywhere, even in the more subtle underscore stuff.

Totally agreed on FOTR, TTT too (for me personally I don't care for the Arwen music or the Elrond/Galadriel scene music so i would junk all that and probably be down to 2 discs no problem). ROTK is still a score I haven't FULLY delved myself into and fully connected with, so my highlights might even fit on one disc now until I can connect to everything more. And wouldn't just be picking the right tracks, it would be massively editing down a lot of them to get the good bits out of long tracks with a lot of different music in them.

With ROTK the only track that is from multiple parts of the score, is The Passing of the Grey company.

my short sets look like this:

FOTR:

Book I/Disc 1

1. One Ring to Rule Them All (Extended Version) (6:39) (The Prophecy, and the Rarities version edited together, with the last few minutes of the CR version at the end, and the Symphony version of the choir before Gollum's Pity layered over)

2. Return to Hobbiton (3:21) (EE opening)

3. Concerning Hobbits (2:57) (OST and Fan Club Credits mixed)

4. Very Old Friends (2:58) (microedited)

5. Flaming Red Hair (2:37) (just volume enhancement)

6. A Long-Expected Party (Extended Version) (1:45) (^)

7. Farewell Dear Bilbo (3:48) (no Ian, microedited)

8. The Shadow of the Past (2:51) (OST version, some microedits restored, skipped Gandalf reading Isildur's account right into Descending Third)

9. A Conspiracy Unmasked (5:46) (microedited)

10. Three Is Company (5:33) (Microedited, Theatrical version, choir restored, partial potential alt used)

11. A Shortcut to Mushrooms (4:31) (film edits restored, some microedits)

12. At the Sign of the Prancing Pony (2:14) (microedits, restored crazy strings to Ringwraith music)

13. Strider (4:15) (microedited, Rarities)

14. A Knife in the Dark (2:13) (Restored muted brass, and choir)

15. The Treason of Isengard (4:25) (microedited)

16. Flight to the Ford (4:49) (OST, Rarities, CR hybrid)

17. Gandalf's Delay (Exclusive Bonus Track) (1:06)

18. Many Meetings (3:27) (OST version)

19. In The House of Elrond (3:08) (Microedited?)

20. The Council of Elrond (Extended Version) (9:27) (Microedited, OST flute instead of clarinet version)

Book II/Disc 2

21. The Ring Goes South (Extended Version) (5:01)

22. A Dangerous Pass (4:57) (Microedited, TE)

23. Ennyn Durin (Exclusive Bonus Track) (4:53) (TE, Microedited)

24. A Journey In The Dark (3:13) (TE, Microedited)

25. Balin's Tomb (7:31) (Microedited, extra drums, OST version of the fellowship theme)

26. Khazad-Dum (Extended Version) (8:10) (No Microedits, restored missing section)

27. Lothlorien (4:58) (TE)

28. The Mirror of Galadriel (3:15) (Microedited)

29. The Great River (5:40) (TE/Rarities Hybrid)

30. Parth Galen (4:03) (Microedited, added Seduction theme extension)

31. Amon Hen (3:40) (TE)

32. Namárië Voromírë (1:18) (EE version of above cue)

33. The Departure of Boromir (5:35) (Restored dropped syllables)

34. The Breaking of the Fellowship (12:10) (CR OST Hybrid)

35. The Shire (Exclusive Bonus Track) (1:57) (Mockup)

36. Moria (Exclusive Bonus Track) (1:41) (Mockup)

37. The Doors of Durin (1:31) (EE)

TTT:

Book I/Disc 1

1. Cuiva Narendur (3:49) (CR)

2. Elven Rope (2:19) (CR)

3. Emyn Muil (3:31) (CR, removed Emyn Muil bit)

4. The Taming of Smeagol (2:51) (subtle microedit)

5. The Uruk-Hai (1:41) (EE version)

6. The Three Hunters (6:12) (CR with OST Rohan theme)

7. Grima Wormtongue (3:10) (Microedited, Rarities CR Hybrid)

8. Lugburz and Isengard (3:02) (Rarities CR Hybrid)

9. The Riders of Rohan (2:54) (Microedited)

10. Treebeard (4:57) (Microedited)

11. The Passage of the Marshes (5:19) (Microedited)

12. The White Rider (6:37) (CR OST Hybrid)

13. Tel Olori en Amaldar (4:13) (Merged Dreams of Trees with Ent-Draught)

14. The Black Gate Is Closed (5:01) (Microedited)

15. Edoras (3:33) (Microedited)

16. The Court Of Meduseld (3:10)

17. The King of the Golden Hall (4:20) (Microedited)

18. The King's Decision (4:58) (Microedited)

19. Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit (2:49) (Microedited)

20. Mela Lindale en Elessar ar Arwen (4:13) (Microedited)

21. Tel Draugrim en Angrenost (2:22) (Microedited, OST CR Hybrid)

22. Refuge At Helm's Deep (3:18) (Microedited)

23. Tel Hosse En Curunir (1:10)

24. The Story Foreseen From Lorien (5:31) (Microedited I think)

25. The Window on the West (1:13) (Microedited)

26. The Forbidden Pool (2:54)

27. Faramir (1:45) (OST)

28. The Horse and the Rider (8:41) (Merged)

29. The Host of the Eldar (2:31) (Microedited)

30. Helms Deep (5:55) (Merged Battle of the Hornburg and Breach of the Deeping Wall

31. The Entmoot Decides (1:33) (Microedited)

32. The Fall of Haldir (4:40)

33. The Last March of the Ents (5:11) (Microedited, Full Mix)

34. Forth Eorlingas (5:16) (Microedited, full mix)

35. Flotsam and Jetsam (10:18) (Microedited)

36. The Ring Goes East (6:10) (removed "suite" and replaced with Eowyn's theme from the OST T3)

37. Gwennin Inn Inn (1:59) (Mockup)

38. The Ents (1:58) (Mockup)

39. Rohan (3:04) (Mockup)

40. An Impassible Labyrinth (2:10) (Microedit of Emyn Muil)

1. Of the Finding of the Ring (6:06) (Microedited)

2. The Journey to the Cross-roads (3:17) (Microedited, removed Fellowship theme)

3. The Voice of Saruman (6:13) (Microedited)

4. A Great Wave Over Green Lands (3:15) (Merged)

5. The Palantir (2:43) (Microedited)

6. Hope and Memory (2:14)

7. Twilight and Shadow/Minas Tirith (6:07) (CR OST Hybrid)

8. The Eyes of the White Tower (3:04) (Microedited)

9. In The Morgul Vale (5:47) (Microedited)

10. Hope Is Kindled (7:55) (CR OST hybrid)

11. Tel Dagora en Osgilliath (7:48) (Microedited

12. Faramir and Denethor (2:35) (Microedited)

13. The Sacrifice of Faramir (3:02) (Microedited, no billy)

14. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol (1:42) (Microedited)

15. The Passing of the Grey Company (13:34) (Microedited)

Book II/Disc 2:

16. The Siege of Gondor (8:28) (Microedited)

17. Torech Ungol (8:29) (Microedited)

18. The Hammer of the Underworld (1:26) (Microedited)

19. The Muster of Rohan (1:53) (Microedited)

20. The Choices of Master Samwise (5:52) (Opening from Tomb of the Stewards placed at the end)

21. The Tomb of the Stewards (3:16) (Removed opening)

22. The Ride of the Rohirrim (4:05) (Microedited, added martial cadence opening, and restored missing brass using OST)

23. The Pyre of Denethor (3:34) (Merged)

24. Dernhelm (2:06)

25. Silver Glass (1:27)

26. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields (2:34)

27. Victory on the Pelennor (2:54) (CR Rarities Hybrid)

28. The Passing of Theoden (2:15)

29. The Houses of Healing (2:39) (Asea Aranion used)

30. The Tower of Cirith Ungol (2:00) (Microedited)

31. The Last Debate (0:56) (TE)

32. The Land of Shadow (3:30) (Microedited

33. The Black Gate Opens (6:19) (OST, Microedited

34. The War of The Ring (3:14)

Book II/Disc 3:

35. Sammath Naur (14:04) (CR Rarities Hybrid)

36. Many Partings (11:43) (Microedited)

37. The Grey Havens (7:34)

38. Elanor (1:28) (CR Rarities Hybrid)

39. The End of the Third Age (10:55) (Removed "Suite" and used the Galway version of Frodo's Song and Bilbo's Song instead)

40. Return of the King Trailer Music (2:32)

41. The Realm of Gondor (2:15) (Mockup)

42. The Green Dragon (0:32)

43. Arwen's Song (2:08)

44. Merry the Warrior (0:43) (CR Master Meriodoc Swordthain)

45. The Prince of Ithilien and the Shieldmaiden of Rohan (1:47) (EE Last Debate)

46. Frodo's Song (2:21) (Mockup)

47. Use Well The Days (3:07)

48. Into The West (5:39) (Acoustic

49. The Road Goes Ever On... (Exclusive Bonus Track) (6:42) (Breaking of the Fellowship NZSO version)

Oh no I agree. For me, if I had to start cutting down material, I'd start doing it from the TTT EE additional material. FotR works best on its own. But the RotK CR is the most essential, just because thematically, it's so much more complex, and details are everywhere, even in the more subtle underscore stuff.

Yea, and it's all that suble underscore stuff within ROTK that I haven't fully invested the time into discovering yet.

Back to TTT, the EE stuff for Merry and Pippin's extra antics, Gandalf and Aragorn's talk in the plains, and the full longer ending to the film always strike me as somehow just FEELING different from the rest of the score, and I don't really know why. Maybe because the scenes are all somewhat superfluous he wasn't as inspired, I dunno, but they don't seem to gel as much for me somehow.

I love that theme too actually. Maybe part of my problem is that they combined that music with all the Black Gate music, so whenever that track starts I want it to hurry up and get to that music and I get bored by the plains music :P

Well now that I've listened to the Amon Hen piece, it doesn't sound like it's from the Parth Galen battle, sounds more like the opening of the Argonath cue with all other instruments removed.

But the hits line up exactly....and they are in the same sound realm as the two hits on the OST...
Perhaps the rear channels of the DVD are clouding your judgement? ;)

But the hits line up exactly....and they are in the same sound realm as the two hits on the OST...

Perhaps the rear channels of the DVD are clouding your judgement? ;)

You're right. It's just been a while since I listened to that and it's been a long day

It also has the film version of Wraith's on Wings, and One Ring to rule them all (nazgul theme) without choir

OOOH Weathertob Without choir!

Found a TTT theatrical piece!

I think I found the theatrical version of One of the Dunedain (its just a note really)

Partial instrumental of Evenstar.

Yes, it has only a little bit of dialogue from the ROTK over it.

Next I will try to rip Aragorn's Quest (it has Shore music, though it might be from the CR's/OST's) and BFME1 (I already have a rip of II)

It would be great if you find some clean music in these games that are covered with cast performances in the CRs.

All of the cast performances are able to get clean/or good enough using the 5.1 DVD's, DVD rips of the movies and center channel removal software on the CR tracks.

Listening to my de-looped version of Aragorn's battle with Lurtz from the TTT game vs. the version on the CR, I think the CR is edited, listen to the cymbals at about 2:19 the cymbals seem to indicate a crossfade.

Yes a bunch of repetitive bars were trimmed from the FOTR CR for "listening experience", luckily that didn't happen with TTT and ROTK CRs.

Absolutely. It always bugged me that "Concerning Hobbits" was edited on the OST, and then ALSO edited in the EE end credits. I fully expected the CR to finally present the untouched cue, but it was edited in the same manner again! And of course "The Second Hall" cue is unedited on the OST but edited on the CR, etc.

Plus, if you try to line up the CR music with the film to make your own isolated score, it falls out of sync often due to the bar removal

So, going through The TTT game rip again, noticed a few things I missed:

some low notes that I cannot Identify.

a microedited section of the Balin's Tomb battle, right before Frodo's "death"

In the TTT rip?

from the game:

8sslo.jpg

Ummm..... either Parth Galen or Shadows of the Past (film version) are tracked, because the first minute is the same.

Shadows of the Past is tracked - it was originally scored with variations on the 'Pity of Gollum' theme as presented (albeit with microedits) on the OST.

Shadows of the Past is tracked - it was originally scored with variations on the 'Pity of Gollum' theme as presented (albeit with microedits) on the OST.

What about A Conspiracy Unmasked, the same music is used there, does it originate from there? or Parth Galen?

What about A Conspiracy Unmasked, the same music is used there, does it originate from there? or Parth Galen?

What?