Symphony No. 1 "The Lord of the Rings" by Johan de Meij

Jay

What are people here's thoughts on this?

I had never heard of it before today; I was looking on Spotify for Shore's symphony, only to find it wasn't there :( But several versions of THIS symphony are!

The movements are:

• 1 Gandalf (The Wizard)
  • 2 Lothlórien (The Elvenwood)
  • 3 Gollum (Sméagol)
  • 4 Journey in the Dark

a. The Mines of Moria

b. The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm

• 5 Hobbits

And I've found these performances on Spotify

by the Dutch Royal Military Band

By the London Symphony Orchestra

By the Amsterdam Wind Orchestra

By the United States Air Force Band (cool cover!)

By the Quebec Wind and Percussion Ensemble

There might be others too.... must be a popular piece to have so many recorded versions of it!

I like it.

I heard a version of it years ago live in concert, narrated by Christopher Lee no less. And I own the LSO version. I havent heard the original band arrangement though. This was probably the most well known and respected musical interpretation of Lord Of The Rings up until Shore came in.

I've never come across the version with narration, which has a different track order so it's more chronological. Since the narrator is telling the story.

Dunno if it was just a one-off for Christopher Lee or if its been performed more.

Marian might know.

One of my favorite symphonies. We played Hobbits in my high school band when I was was freshman and later during my senior year. I find the other movements superior to Hobbits though. When I first got to college I went and checked out the score for fun. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I like it.

I heard a version of it years ago live in concert, narrated by Christopher Lee no less. And I own the LSO version. I havent heard the original band arrangement though. This was probably the most well known and respected musical interpretation of Lord Of The Rings up until Shore came in.

The original band arrangement is far superior in my opinion. Not that the LSO version is bad, just not as good.

It's not bad. Sometimes falls on the bland side, other times, has some rather inspired moments. The orchestral arrangement does it more justice.

Performed it once back in high school as well.

I have the LSO version somewhere but haven't listened to it in ages. It is big, splashy, very cinematic in construction but overall I am not terribly impressed with it. I should take another listen. It has been years since I did that.

• 1 year later...

Earlier this year, de Meij himself conducted his LotR symphony in performance with 'The President's Own" US Marine Band. Overall, it's a solid performance, technically on a very high level but not quite as inspired as I would have expected. That aside, it certainly was a memorable experience for both the orchestra and the composer himself; I suppose it is an honor to be able to conduct this band.

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

A programmatic symphony is less literal than a score to a film? O say it is not so!ROTFLMAO

Look at that. We disagree about something. :rolleyes:

Only the Moria movement is narratively programmatic. The rest have a share of tone painting, but are more traditional in form, and are more about the idea of the subject than musical translations. It’s closer to Beethoven’s 6th than Strauss.

Shore uses the orchestra as a blunt instrument of monotonous description. It works fine in the film, but I’ve never made it through any of the complete recordings in one sitting. His harmonies are the most interesting thing about the scores.

I never found Shore's score all that literal-minded. There's little by way of genuinely "descriptive" music, almost no "mickey mousing" to speak of or "hitting" beats in the action, the musical style is often archaic but not so archaic that you can say its a genuine attempt to reconstruct what Middle Earth's own music would have sounded like, the diegetic music is somewhat different to the mimetic music, and cliches of "period" orchestration are either avoided or done a different way (the cliche thing would have been to do the Middle Eastern thing for Mordor, and while there's some of that, ultimately Shore uses Middle Eastern scales and instruments predominantly for the Elves, and when it crosses over to Mordor its an expression of their shared kind of auestere exoticism).

The score is leitmotivic - these large-form cycles (The Ring, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings) lend themselves to that: you can't score The Lord of the Rings like Parsifal. But the use of the leitmotives here is really not that literal. There are relatively few motives that really unequivocally relate just to a specific character, artefact, place or so forth: they tend to have slightly broader, more flexible associations, and they become more flexible still as the cycle winds on.

Of course its going to be more "literal minded" than a symphony, though!

17 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:
  1. Shore
  2. Rosenman
  3. de Meij
  4. RUSH
  5. Led Zeppelin 

What about Shuki Levy, Maury Laws, David Cain, David Munrow, Stephen Oliver?

;)

7 hours ago, Presto said:

What about Shuki Levy, Maury Laws, David Cain, David Munrow, Stephen Oliver?

;)

None of those clowns are better than Juno-award winning RUSH.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I never knew this existed! Listening now. Very interesting to hear different musical interpretations of Gandalf and Gollum.

Which version are you listening two. The original brass, wind and percussion? Or the adaptation for the full symphony orchestra?

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Which version are you listening two. The original brass, wind and percussion? Or the adaptation for the full symphony orchestra?

Karol

I was listening to the album by the Amsterdam Wind Orchestra.