What Live To Projection concerts have you seen and not seen?

Jay

I have seen:

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

Star Trek Into Darkness

Home Alone

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Raiders of the Lost Ark

I want to see

The Return of the King

Jurassic Park

Harry Potter 1

Harry Potter 2

Harry Potter 3

Independence Day

Aliens

Back To The Future

Please don't put concerts that don't exist in your want list :)  See here for what exists

http://filmconcertslive.com/

and

http://www.moviesinconcert.nl/index.php?page=concertlist (type "Live" into the search box to narrow the list down)

I've seen:

The Two Towers

Perfume

The Matrix

The Return of the King

Gladiator

Star Trek (twice)

Star Trek Into Darkness

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Kon-Tiki

Interstellar

Missed (had tickets but couldn't make it):

Raiders of the Lost Ark (second performance)

Titanic

Independence Day (can't make it next month, sadly)

Will see later this year:

E.T.

Aliens

North by Northwest

Haven't seen/want to see:

Jurassic Park

Home Alone

The Silence of the Lambs

Batman

Karol

I've seen:

Home Alone

Raiders of the Lost Ark

I most want to see JP and HPSS. 

In the near future, I hope to see ET as it will be performed where I live in November.

The closest we got was the LOTR symphony (bored me to tears, tbh). I didn't make it to Lucerne for 'Raiders' which i regret. The next good chance in Germany is Potter 1 in Munich in January. I hope i can go.

I have seen:

Will be seeing:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (March 2017)

Would like to see:

Every possible show I can.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Would like to see:

Every possible show I can.

Amen.

I just noticed there are Vertigo, Psycho. There Will Be Blood and Under the Skin concerts in London next year. Hmmm...

Karol

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Amen.

I just noticed there are Vertigo, Psycho. There Will Be Blood and Under the Skin concerts in London next year. Hmmm...

Karol

We are lucky to have even one in three years here in backwater country of Finland!

Boy London really gets all the good concerts!

I forgot about The Matrix,  would love to see that one too. 

Titanic live conducted by Horner must have been amazing. 

I have seen:

Fellowship of the Ring

Two Towers

I want to see:

Return of the King (definitely going)

Harry Potter 1

Harry Potter 2

Harry Potter 3

Harry Potter 4 (WB confirmed they'll do all eight)

Harry Potter 7 (same remark)

Harry Potter 8 (same ramark)

Back to the Future

Titanic

I've seen Fellowship of the Ring.  It's one of my favorite movies and one of my favorite scores, and TBH I wasn't too big a fan of the experience. 

So I don't plan on seeing any more live to projection concerts, unless they come dangerously close to my home (1 hr or less).  I'd rather just see the LOTR symphony, or any ol' concert.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

He didn't conduct that one actually in the end.

Karol

Oh really?  He was there though, right?

Just now, Jay said:

Oh really?  He was there though, right?

Oh yeah, there was a Q&A session with him and he would talk to fans and take pictures.

I never regretted this much not going to an event like this. :(

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I had a ticket. And decided not to go because of money (London isn't cheap, you see). But now it seems so irrelevant...

Fortunately, I had a chance to see him live in Vienna.

Karol

I remember you offering your ticket for this. Did you manage to find a taker for the ticket in the end? Such a shame you didn't get to go. They are doing Titanic again at the Royal Albert Hall next year, although obviously without Horner in attendance this time. :(

The Vienna Konzerthaus has been doing a "Film + Music Live" cycle for years, showing old (mainly silent) films with live scores. Most of the scores are new, written by composers I've never heard of, and often with a desperate urge to be serious, meaning that only "respectable" films are chosen and the music has as little as possible to do with the on screen action. Some of the stuff is quite bad; I once saw Metropolis with a nearly totally unrelated score which just paused for several minutes during the climactic escape sequence - just a few seconds after the music stopped, people began laughing at the typically overacted silent film closeups, showing how important music, even bad music, would have been for those scenes. Occasionally, they do original scores (Modern Times has been a regular programme point, although I've never seen it, partly because I find it inexcusable that a concert venue would perform it and attribute it solely to Chaplin without a single mention of Raksin in the announcements). I once saw parts of Prokofiev's Ivan the Terrible as part of that cycle, which was pretty cool - I think they're doing the full thing next season. They also recently played Strauss' own original score for the film adaptation of Der Rosenkavalier, but I didn't see that.

The newly popular live projection concerts have also become something of a regular thing here, but I usually avoid them for a simple reason: They're always at the Stadthalle, Vienna's biggest concert and event hall, which sounds really shitty for rock concerts and even shittier for orchestral stuff, yet charges horrendous entrance fees at the same time. Treating the whole thing as a big circus show with ice cream vendors and popcorn doesn't make it more attractive. I saw the LOTR Symphony there and was rather bored by the concept, partly disappointed by the quality of the performance, and appalled by the sound. I saw Morricone there during his recent tour, which was cool, although the sound still sucked.

They once were going to do FOTR live there, but I didn't get tickets because of the sound quality and the suspicious cast (entirely unknown performers, including some unknown orchestra from Prague I believe, with dubious experience in this sort of thing). They ultimately canceled the whole thing, though I don't remember whether it was for financial or copyright reasons.

They've been doing more of the internationally successful bits recently. I believe both FOTR and HPPS are on their schedule, and they even did Fenton's Frozen Planet a few months back, but it'd take a very special lineup to get me back there. Instead, I've begun to keep an eye on similar events in London, where I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark earlier this year. People keep complaining about the acoustics of the Royal Albert Hall, but it worked mostly really well for that sort of thing, and was infinitely better than anything that could be done here at the Stadthalle.

I was interested in coming back for Jurassic Park (and also seeing Aliens while I'm there), but I wanted to wait until after the Raiders concert first to check the acoustics, and the JP dates sold out too quickly for that.

I'd definitely like to see the following if I get the chance:

Shore's LOTRs

Williams's Potters

E.T.

Jurassic Park

Koyaanisqatsi

I wouldn't mind seeing Aliens and Back to the Future either, but they're not priorities.

We're very lucky in London to have had lots of these to choose from in recent years.  I have seen:

• Koyaanisqatsi (Philip Glass)
  • Planet Earth, The Blue Planet, Frozen Planet (George Fenton)
  • The Artist (Ludovic Bource)
  • Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)
  • Back to the Future (Alan Silvestri)
  • Planet of the Apes (Jerry Goldsmith)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (John Williams)
  • Psycho (Bernard Herrmann)

I am also hoping to see Independence Day, Jurassic Park and E.T. later in the year.

I've seen the following in London:

Fellowship of the Ring

Gladiator

Star Trek

Trek was probably the best one, simply because the live orchestra sounded so much better than the flat OST mix.

I'd prefer not to see one where all the fans applaud at all the crowd-pleading moments (i.e. Indy's gun).

I've only seen ET and Dead Man's Chest live (and can surprisingly say that the latter is one of the best orchestral performances I've ever seen), but I had tickets for Home Alone and Star Trek and sadly had to cancel at the last minute on both.  Additionally, I have tickets for Raiders of the Lost Ark this spring.  Unfortunately I missed out on getting tickets for Harry Potter.  I'll go to see almost any of the ones that my local orchestra puts on, and particularly any Williams ones.  I'd give pretty much anything to see LOTR or Naked Lunch, but the latter probably won't happen again now that Coleman's passed.  Some time I'd love to go to Fimucité some time, but that's a pipe dream.  There Will Be Blood could be neat, too.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does There Will Be Blood have a lot of score in it? 

It's been years since I've seen it, and I don't remember all that much music in it.  It's a three-hour movie and there's only about a half-hour on the soundtrack, but I don't think all the music made it on.  I just thought it was a neat score, and the Penderecki/Greenwood CD is awesome.  I just saw it on the list and was intrigued.  My guess was that it was just the concert suite Greenwood adapted from the score, but the description says it's a full live concert to the film.  There are some odd choices on the list of live concerts.  Again, it's been a long time since I watched the film or listened to the score, but my memory of The Godfather is that the score was fairly short and a lot of cues were written for a smaller ensemble, not a full orchestra.

Booking for Philosophers Stone in Rotterdam this november. So far I've only seen FOTR and ROTK. They don't do a lot of live to screen concerts here so far. Unless you count old black and white film from the 1920's...

7 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I've seen Psycho and Babe. Missed the rest.

Together?! What a double-bill!  :lol:

19 hours ago, Omen II said:

We're very lucky in London to have had lots of these to choose from in recent years.  I have seen:

• Planet of the Apes (Jerry Goldsmith)

Ooh! Was that at The National, as part of Meltdown, last year?

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Ooh! Was that at The National, as part of Meltdown, last year?

It was at the Royal Festival Hall last year, Robert Ziegler conducting the BBC Concert Orchestra.  There is a thread about it here.

Speaking of Planet of the Apes, is the 1997 Varese version completely complete?  Or will there be a more definitive version by a specialty label some day?  Did Jerry do anything unique for the OST LP that's different on the 1997 CD?

A couple of tracks were edited (NO ESCAPE being one) for the original LP, but, basically, it's all there.

I know it would be virtually impossible, but this score is crying out to be either re-recorded, or remixed. It's such a shame that one of the supreme motion picture scores ever, ever composed, sounds like it was recorded in a toilet, and then 'phoned in to Tokyo, from LA, using the crummiest mic, ever. 

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

A couple of tracks were edited (NO ESCAPE being one) for the original LP, but, basically, it's all there.

I know it would be virtually impossible, but this score is crying out to be either re-recorded, or remixed. It's such a shame that one of the supreme motion picture scores ever, ever composed, sounds like it was recorded in a toilet, and then 'phoned in to Tokyo, from LA, using the crummiest mic, ever. 

Serialism should sound harsh and uncouth!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe Mike Matessino could work some magic on the original session tapes

Yeah. 20 years is a long time between releases, but, to me, it simply says:

"th, th, that's all, folks".

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Serialism should sound harsh and uncouth!

Yes, it should, but not compressed to buggery.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Interesting you should bring this up. I've been wondering lately why POTA of all Goldsmith scores hasn't had a remaster, or even rumours of one, ever since I bought the Varese some 15 years ago. Technology has improved a lot since then, and many 90s remasters that were redone over the last few years sound much better now.

Since the 1997 Varese CD is still in print, it means they are still the license holder. I guess Bob Townson is choosing to spend his resources on other scores. 

Just remembered another live projection concert thingy I saw. A few years ago, Michael Nyman wrote scores for a couple (at least two, perhaps more) of Russian silent films. Two of those have been released on his album Vertov Sounds. He played one of them live to film in Vienna with the Michael Nyman Band. And he opened to concert with a half hour or so of their greatest hits.

I might have a free press ticket for the Independence Day performance later this month in London. I can't make it as I'm away at this time (which is a bit of a shame) and the kind people from Royal Albert Hall let me transfer it over to someone else. The only thing I ask in return is a concert report article for FOW.

It's Thursday the 22nd of September at 7 pm.

Let me know.

Karol

• 5 months later...