STRANGER THINGS

Jay

These are some pretty good rips that have possibly used some of the videos Rob Simonsen has uploaded:

I still feel like this show is a conglomerate of many other shows that have been popular in the last two decades, and while the final cue of season 4 was good, it felt extremely familiar. I'm sure we've all heard a variant of that music playing while fictional characters stare at a coming storm—V's season one finale randomly comes to mind—yet the show has still been successful. I suppose that's because is does the conglomeration thing well.

I don't know if someone has been able to organize a proper chronological order for the score and the song for each episode, but I have been working on one myself. So far, I did the first 4 episodes but it's still very much incomplete as I haven't been able to identify all the songs and some of them maybe wrong, but here is what I gathered so far.

Spoiler

Chapter 1: The Hellfire Club

-Hawkins National Lab [The kids play in the Rainbow Room in a flashback at the Lab]

-Stranger Things [Main Titles]

-California Dreamin' – The Mamas and The Papas [Eleven writes letter to Mike]

-Kids / Teens (Seems to be a mix of both tracks) [Nancy and Mike get ready for school and Suzie changes Dustin's Latin grade]

-Object of My Desire – Starpoint [In the car with Steve and Robin]

-Band Camp Romance – Music Beyond [Cheerleading and pep rally]

-Not Kids Anymore [Lucas begs Dustin and Mike to come to his game]

-The Red Army Is the Strongest – The Red Army Choir [Joyce takes the creepy Russian doll]

-Mr. Fibbly [El explains her diorama and Angela messes with her]

-Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) – Kate Bush [El storms out her class crying after her presentation goes bad; Max walks through the halls to the counselor's office]

-I Was A Teenage Werewolf – The Cramps [The D&D club meets in the cafeteria]

-Fever – The Cramps [Eddie talks about his plans for the future]

-Chica Mejicanita – Andrea & Ervin Litkei [Murray and Joyce talk on the phone]

-Journalistic Instinct [Montage of Johnathan and Nancy explaining they're admiration of each other to Argyle and Fred]

-Play With Me – Extreme [Mike and Dustin try to recruit people to join Hellfire]

-I wouldn’t remember me either [Eddie and Chrissy talk about their previous encounter]

-Sauna Test [Angela and her friend bully El]

-Crib [Angela gets in trouble with teacher]

-Run [Joyce discovers a heartwarming note]

-Football Funk – Ed Hartman [Championship game begins]

-Steve's Rocking Star Spangled Banner – X-Ray Dog [Erica, Mike, and Dustin walk down the hallway, heading to the final session of Eddie's campaign]

-Hail Lord Vecna [On the campaign, Eddie narrates how Lord Vecna is alive]

-Detroit Rock City – Kiss [Montage between basketball game and Hellfire Club]

-What’s the Internet? [Victory celebration thanks to Lucas and Erica]

-Got Your Number – The Lloyd Langton Group [Eddie drives up to the trailer]

-Happy Screams [Max watches Eddie welcome Chrissy into his home]

-A Realm Unspoiled by Mankind [End credits]

Chapter 2: Vecna’s Curse

-Caught a Body at the Munson Trailer [The police takes photos of Chrissy’s body]

-Surf Time – The Surf Riders [Mike meets up with they gang and El starts to explain her plans]

-Hellfire Club [The police drive up to Benny’s where the Justin and his pals are]

-See Any Rain? [Dustin and Max leave his house to go looking for Eddie]

-The Elephant [Hopper is captured and then tortured by the russians]

-You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record) – Dead or Alive [Mike, El, and Will go roller skating]

-Rock Me Amadeus – Falco [Angela and friends arrive at Rinkomania]

-Diamonds and Emeralds – The Interior Castle [Nancy and Fred on the way to the trailer park]

-A Realm Unspoiled by Mankind [Freddie has a vision at the car]

-Diamonds and Emeralds – The Interior Castle [The songs resumes after the vision]

-Palm Tree Delight [Jonathan opens up to Argyle about the admission letter and his relationship with Nancy]

-Tarzan Boy – Baltimora [At Rinkomania, El, Will, and Mike are having milkshakes]

-Wipe Out (Rerecorded) – The Surfaris [At Rinkomania, El is bullied]

-Eleven Is Gone [El runs away from the skate floor after being bullied]

-Monologue de Ibn-Hakia Scene 5 – The National Bolshoï Orchestra [The Russians move Hopper]

-Hellfire Isn’t a Cult [Military arrive at Hawkins, and Jason explains Hellfire to his pals]

-Psycho Killer – Talking Heads [Jason pumps up the gang about finding Eddie]

-Rolling out the Pool [Robin tries to locate Reefer Rick through the computer at work]

-Musso [Joyce and Murray replay the recording of the phone call and realize he is in prison]

-In the closet (at Rink O Mania) [Mike and Will argue and El cries after being bullied by Angela and her friends]

-Burning Up – Donnell Pitman [At Rinkomania, Eleven fights back]

-There are some things worse than ghosts [Dustin talks to Eddie about the Upside Down, while Fred is being chased and later killed by Vecna]

-Into Hell – Makeup and Vanity Set [End credits]

Chapter 3: The Monster and the Superhero

-Ruth, Nevada [Lt. Colonel Sullivan arrives in a helicopter at Dr. Owens' house in Ruth, Nevada]

-Brenner’s Little Pet [The Colonel questions Dr. Owens about Eleven’s whereabouts]

-Blood Balloons [Aftermath on the rink after El has smacked Angela on the face]

-In Transit to Bermuda – Dorian Zero [In the Pizzamobile, Argyle and the gang on their way home after Rink-o-mania]

-Rigoletto, Act III: V'ho ingannato... Colpevole fui – Giuseppe Verdi [Kids arrive home as Murray is making Risotto]

-Che gelida manina – Giacomo Puccini [They eat risotto at dinner]

-A Realm Unspoiled by Mankind [El remembers what happened at the rink and at the Lab, and Vecna loads up]

-100% Convinced [Steve, Dustin, Max, and Robin give Eddie good and bad news]

-Scars [Steve Dustin Max and Robin arrive when Nancy is being interrogated by police]

-Ewoks Theme Song [On the TV]

-Hellfire Club [The policeman arrive at the Wheeler’s house at take Jane]

-Welcome to Kamchatka [Joyce and Murray travel to Alaska by plane, while Hopper is hard at work in Kamchatka]

-Mugshot [The policeman interrogate El and then take her to juvy]

-Boys and Girls [Robin talks to Nancy about her lack of a grasp for social cues]

-Patient Confidentiality [Max escapes the counselor’s house with her keys]

-ELVIS CLONED BY ALIENS [Robin and Nancy read articles in library basement]

-Guardian Angel – Fergu Mac Roy [Dr. Owens and Eleven at the diner]

-A War is Coming to Hawkins [Owens explains El what is going on at Hawkins]

-There's a Storm Coming – Dance with the Dead [Owens explaisn Eleven the possibility of getting her powers back, while Max sees the files and realizes she’s in danger]

Chapter 4: Dear Billy

-Kills you in your dreams [Max explains to Dustin, Steve, Nancy, and Robin why she's in trouble]

-Moscow’s Defender’s Song – The Red Army Choir [Hopper goes out of his cell and talks to Antonov about their plan]

-Scars [Jonathan takes pizza number off the fridge]

-Eight Fifteen [Will sits next to Mike and they talk to each other]

-Legless – Hipbone Slim [Argyle answers the phone at Surfer Pizza]

-My BOOBS Hurt [Robin tries to convince the warden to let them see Victor Creel]

-Hard Feelings – Al Kerbey [The gang rides in Steve's car]

-Minuet in D Minor – Johann Sebastian Bach [Pennhurst patients in the listening room]

-Pass The Dutchie – Musical Youth [In the Pizzamobile, Argyle on his way to deliver the pizza]

-On The Bus [Mike apologizes to Will and says Hawkins is not the same without him]

-Pass The Dutchie – Musical Youth [Argyle arrives at the Wheeler’s house]

-Barefoot in the Snow [Hopper arrives at the village and enters the church]

-Sentinels – Makeup and Vanity Set [Hopper eats peanut butter at the church]

-Heather’s [Yuri’s betrayal montage]

-Bond Street Bounce – Len Stevens [At Pennhurst, Victor shares a story with Nancy and Robin; Victor arrives home in 1959]

-Dream A Little Dream Of Me – Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong [Victor's story unfolds (repeats)]

-A Nightmare Far Worse [Victor starts to tell his tale]

-Letter to Willy [Max reads her apology letter at Billy’s grave]

-Follow Me to Death [Steve realizes Max is out of herself and she has a vision of Billy]

-It’s Time, Max [Vecna reveals himself to Max and starts chasing her]

-Claire de Lune – Claude Debussy [Pennhurst patients in the listening room]

-Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God) – Kate Bush (arranged by Rob Simonsen) [Max's brave encounter]

-Running Up That Hill (Paris End Credits Version) – Kate Bush [End Credits]

Any help, corrections or whatever are more than welcome!

80 cues…and this one is unreleased…AGAIN :D can’t understand. Played two times in season 3 and again in season 4.

@2:15

7 hours ago, dylanskie said:

These are some pretty good rips that have possibly used some of the videos Rob Simonsen has uploaded:

I still feel like this show is a conglomerate of many other shows that have been popular in the last two decades, and while the final cue of season 4 was good, it felt extremely familiar. I'm sure we've all heard a variant of that music playing while fictional characters stare at a coming storm—V's season one finale randomly comes to mind—yet the show has still been successful. I suppose that's because is does the conglomeration thing well.

His Theme for Eleven is amazing :) 

15 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

And my final gripe is how separated all of the characters were this season. I'd actually completely forgotten how close Eleven and Max were in previous seasons, and had there been a bit more interaction between the characters I think the emotional wallop of El trying to save Max would've hit a bit harder. But I guess it'll work much better on a rewatch and without waiting 3 goddamn years between season 3-4.

I think to an extent it's a necessity if you want to draw a story that started out on a smaller scale with a tight group of characters out to a five season arc, and I think they're handling it well. In the context of believing that I was watching the series finale, I was a bit bothered by how the group never came back together until everything was over, but since it *wasn't* the final season, that's probably the best way to get them back as team for the last one.

4 hours ago, badbu said:

80 cues…and this one is unreleased…AGAIN

Yeaaaah. I specifically asked Michael Stein about that cue. He said the issue is it's just so short. They may work on extending it in the future or something.

3 hours ago, p0llux said:

Another unreleased climatic cue/track/remix/mashup/one/henry/vecna...

I didn't realize that I hadn't shared that here. Came across that the other day - that's the official track too. Not a rip. Just only on that artists YouTube right now.

Another reason I suspect some kind of "Remix" album is in the works.

Just finished Ep1, love that the horror element seems to be coming back full force from S1! And that they kept us guessing with Chrissy, that she'd get together with the DnD guy, that it's all in her head, that she has powers too... nope, crack. Hate the high school clique/bullying crap, hope they get over that quickly.

10 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Yeaaaah. I specifically asked Michael Stein about that cue. He said the issue is it's just so short. They may work on extending it in the future or something.

yeah that makes sense...sadly :D i hope they release an extended version of it :) 

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm currently at episode 5, and if I was a kid and watching this series I would do terrible nightmares.

OK, I got it, that's the goal? :huh:

It's not really a kids show anymore, its audience has aged with the characters. Kids who were 12 when they watched season one would be 18 now. It's the same with Harry Potter - started as a children's fantasy book but by the end it was clearly young adult fiction.

What a great show!  A love letter to nerds and misfits everywhere, summed up perfectly by Lucas to the jock, "I thought I wanted to be like you.  Popular.  Normal.  But it turns out normal is just a raging psychopath"

The actors playing Lucas and Will really stepped up their game this season.  Some really terrific work from both of them.  Some truly touching moments from them both.  Love the scene with Will and Johnathan reconnecting.  Ugh.  Lump in the throat.

The interwebs seem to be suggesting that Will is gay.  Are people reading into that, or are the Duffers insinuating that?  It could simply be that he's always been a sensitive kid who has a lot to deal with, doesn't make friends easily, and has been traumatized.  However, he does get very emotional with Mike, and can be seen early on in the season crumpling his rolled up painting when Mike and El kiss.  And there's the dialogue with Mike that he feels like a mistake.  Maybe they'll leave it ambiguous and up to the viewer for S5?

Easter eggs!  I really enjoyed Hopper using

And why not?  He truly becomes a badass monster slayer.

Eddie's metal jam to divert the bats was a wonderful way to embrace the Upside Down landscape basically looking like an album cover come to life.  I am glad they brought in Eddie this season.  They needed a metal head.  (We called them "dopers" when I was in high school).  Having grown up in this depicted era, guys like Eddie were everywhere.  And I love that they brought in the Satanic Panic theme for the season.

Argyle is also period accurate for '86.  The whole "Duuuude" culture was just taking root at that time.

Do we know the fate of Paul Reiser?  Did I miss something, or are we to assume that the Sullivan character executed him after the raid on the lab?

Hey, whatever happened to the atmosphere in the Upside Down being toxic to breathe?

Overall, this is legendary television.  The finale seemed a bit bloated (like a Stephen King book!), but no matter.  It's such a fun ensemble, you don't want it to end.  

41 minutes ago, Andy said:

What a great show!  A love letter to nerds and misfits everywhere, summed up perfectly by Lucas to the jock, "I thought I wanted to be like you.  Popular.  Normal.  But it turns out normal is just a raging psychopath"

Loved that line.

The actors playing Lucas and Will really stepped up their game this season.  Some really terrific work from both of them.  Some truly touching moments from them both.  Love the scene with Will and Johnathan reconnecting.  Ugh.  Lump in the throat.

I thought Noah Schnapp was best in S2 (when after being absent for most of S1, he suddenly became a prominent character). But then, most of his contributions to S4 consist of him being uneasy, so he doesn't have that much to act on this time.

The interwebs seem to be suggesting that Will is gay.  Are people reading into that, or are the Duffers insinuating that?

S1 mentions that his father used to call him "queer", and during my rewatch I though they deliberately left it at that. All the way through S4 people in this thread were discussing it, when I hadn't picked up on it myself - but it seems very obvious at least in the last two episodes that he's clearly hung up on Mike. It was one of the reasons why I thought the episode was ending too quickly (before I realised that this wasn't the last season), so I'm sure it will be a major element in S5.

It’s subtext, but barely subtext.  I don’t remember what episode it is, but it’s very clear what the unspoken intent was when Will gave Mike the painting in the van (lying that Eleven had commissioned it and then explaining his feelings by using Eleven as a delivery device, talking about how certain things need to be kept inside, how when you’re different you feel alone, etc), while his brother was watching in the rearview mirror and clearly affected. 

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Loved that line.

Yeah. And the whole exchange after that:

'I never should've opened the door'

I never should've knocked'

THE PERFECT COMEBACK

A possible influence I've not been able to confirm anywhere.   Has anyone seen the 1981 Lucio Fulci Italian Zombie Splatterfest The Beyond?  

Spoilers below if you haven't seen it.

Largely incoherent plot, but basically there are 7 gates to "The Beyond" or maybe Hell depending on how you interpret it, and one of them is in this woman's old hotel in Louisiana.

Anyway, besides the Gates to another realm, when the people become "afflicted" by the supernatural, their eyes resemble those of Vecna's possessed victims.  But the thing that really struck me was Max's braided pigtails reminded me of the red headed child in the film, who (spoilers) also becomes afflicted with the possession eyes.  The ending of the film has the protagonists entering "The Beyond", which looks like the cover of a heavy metal album, with bodies strewn into the landscape.  I may be drawing my own parallels, but I wonder if this is on the Duffers' playlist.

beyond.jpg

Has anyone seen the show's pitch deck before?

There's a lot that's very close to how they ended up making it, and obviously quite a few details that were changed. For what it's worth, it describes Will as "a sweet, sensitive kid with sexual identity issues".

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Has anyone seen the show's pitch deck before?

I had. Didn't realize it hadn't been shared before, I got it back in June of 2021.

It's very interesting! Cool to see some of the earliest origins of the show.

I really want to read the Upside Down explanation document they gave Netflix when the show is over. Lol.

Wow!  Really cool.  I hadn't seen that before.  I have the making of book and knew it would've been called Montauk, but never saw the pitch guide.

The pitch even mentions Will exploring his sexuality way back then.

6 hours ago, badbu said:

there is now also a masterclass with the duffer brothers :) 

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/duffer-brothers

it is mostly to do with coming up with an idea and pitching.

Would’ve loved it to be more about directing and writing.

They're both modern myths, and bound to have similarities.  Both draw heavily from pop culture just as much as they might from Tolkien or other mythology.  Stranger Things has never been shy about their influences.

Well, I liked this season a lot! Made me realise how much the show needed a real villain.

One problem I already had last season too was how since the cast has grown so so big, some (or many) of them really don't get much development, they're just present and say funny stuff or get ministories introduced in the first 2 eps, forgotten about, then quickly resolved in the last 2 eps - and also splitting them up into separate groups and locations make them even remotely manageable, meaning many of them barely get to interact with anyone outside that group, largely losing the dynamics of S1. Since next season is the last, they really have to solve that somehow, mixing and matching the groups and bringing them properly together for the end.

37 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well, I liked this season a lot! Made me realise how much the show needed a real villain.

One problem I already had last season too was how since the cast has grown so so big, some (or many) of them really don't get much development, they're just present and say funny stuff or get ministories introduced in the first 2 eps, forgotten about, then quickly resolved in the last 2 eps - and also splitting them up into separate groups and locations make them even remotely manageable, meaning many of them barely get to interact with anyone outside that group, largely losing the dynamics of S1. Since next season is the last, they really have to solve that somehow, mixing and matching the groups and bringing them properly together for the end.

The Duffer Brothers mentioned in an interview that the last season will only take place in Hawkins. And that the groups will be similar to what they were in S1.

Yeah, this felt to me like the distance was intentional, and that the final season will be all of the characters adventuring together.  Kind of the Empire to the final season’s Jedi.  Whether that plays out that way, who knows.

OMG the catastrophy of this 2 hours finale Episode.

At least two times near the very end I felt an unforgivable Coitus interruptus.

They really don't know how to tell stories anymore...

Give these Duffer brothers a little less bugdet and drugs.

5 hours ago, puchna8 said:

I enjoyed the performance of David Harbour as Chief Jim Hopper in the show.  Actually, at first he kind of turned me off, but I warmed up to him as the show went on.

He’s easily one of my favourite characters probably because of his uncanny Harrison Ford energy at times 

16 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

He’s easily one of my favourite characters probably because of his uncanny Harrison Ford energy at times 

I didn't even notice it until my recent rewatch, but there are moments where his Ford-ness is indeed, as you say, uncanny.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:32 AM, Docteur Qui said:

It's not really a kids show anymore, its audience has aged with the characters. Kids who were 12 when they watched season one would be 18 now. It's the same with Harry Potter - started as a children's fantasy book but by the end it was clearly young adult fiction.

The show is rated TV14 in the US.

20 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The show is rated TV14 in the US.

Seasons 3 and 4 are MA15+ here in Australia (the first tier of legal restriction, minors under 15 must be accompanied by an adult etc, equivalent to R in the US I guess). So yeah, the show is not really for children anymore, and you could argue it never really was even considering how young the cast was back when it started - it was clearly aimed at Gen Xers and millennials when it debuted IMO.

On 26/07/2022 at 7:16 AM, leeallen01 said:

Anyone know why the Season 4 Score isn't available on CD? I have Seasons 1, 2 and 3 on CD, but for some reason 4 is only available in download.

On 26/07/2022 at 7:32 AM, mstrox said:

I suspect just the natural way of things in 2022.  We’re probably more likely to see it on a record than a CD.

Season 4's score is/was available on CD via Lakeshores Website:

Volume 1

Volume 2

It's a pre-order and is currently sold out, with the release date unannounced. Hopefully they'll have more stock eventually.

I've heard it'll be coming later this year - likely in September or October.

It took much longer than 6 months to film season 4, and you forgot the months of pre-production in between writing and filming