STRANGER THINGS

Jay

Not sure if it's a bit of foreshadowing, but there's a quick visual reference to Sixteen Candles in the finale, which leads me to speculate that a potential Season 4 might reach for a John Hughes type format.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

In episode 3 it is weird and very anachronical to listen to John debney's "Lair", when the kids play dungeons and dragons :p

They actually do that?  

I might want to watch the rest of this show after all!

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Noah Schnapp continues to surprise, as he did in season two, considering he was mainly a scream queen/plot device in the first season. Suddenly he has to act, and does so really well (he also puts on his robe and wizard hat).

I've been wondering since S02 if he's the best actor from the kids or just the one given the best material to work with. Or both.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

One observation about the score: Back in the first season I found the synth approach charming but insufficient; too much of the show reminded me of big 70s & 80s Spielberg & Co fare with big orchestral Williams and Horner scores, and the climactic moments seemed a bit flat with the rather subdued synth score. I liked the synth stuff more this time, perhaps because I've gotten used to it - but by far the most dramatic "epic" moment of the whole season is underscored not by original music but by Philip Glass' Akhnaten, which works perfectly in the momen but is a really strong stylistic clash with the rest of the score (including the numerous songs). And more than that, it strongly suggests that the show has considerably more musical potential than it's score manages to realise.

I assume you mean the end of episode 6, referring to the Philip Glass tracking? I was wondering about that because it seemed so far removed from what Stein and Dixon had done so far. But it worked exceptionally well, better than anything they would have come up, I think. I still don't think the first two seasons could have supported a more traditional orchestral score, but I think this season has crossed into territory that maybe outstrips Stein and Dixon's abilities. I have a half-formed suspicion that they don't score to picture, and I wonder if that's part of why it's seemed underwhelming this time around, given that the stakes feel higher this time and things seem to have more dramatic weight. I didn't mind the synth score the first couple of times, but if the show continues--much less builds on what they've done this year--I wouldn't mind seeing a change in musical approach.

5 hours ago, Seth said:

I assume you mean the end of episode 6, referring to the Philip Glass tracking? I was wondering about that because it seemed so far removed from what Stein and Dixon had done so far.

Yes:

It was already used in a synthed up version in the final trailer:

But episode 6 seems to use the Glass original (including soloists).

5 hours ago, Seth said:

But it worked exceptionally well, better than anything they would have come up, I think. I still don't think the first two seasons could have supported a more traditional orchestral score, but I think this season has crossed into territory that maybe outstrips Stein and Dixon's abilities. I have a half-formed suspicion that they don't score to picture, and I wonder if that's part of why it's seemed underwhelming this time around, given that the stakes feel higher this time and things seem to have more dramatic weight. I didn't mind the synth score the first couple of times, but if the show continues--much less builds on what they've done this year--I wouldn't mind seeing a change in musical approach.

There was at times a notable emphasis on non-original score (songs and I think at least one other instance of an existing orchestral piece, or perhaps it was diegetic music) in several dramatic sequences. Something I don't remember from the previous seasons.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:11 AM, The Original said:

I reckon the fat kid with the lithp is the funniest one.

Hes not fat.

On 7/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

It was already used in a synthed up version in the final trailer:

But episode 6 seems to use the Glass original (including soloists).

What? No. Imagine Music's Plastic World is only used for the beginning (0:00 - 0:20 or so). None of the remainder of the track is used. The final trailer also uses the original Philip Glass track with a couple overlays (Brass, Percussion, and yes, some Synth).

On 7/5/2019 at 7:29 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

One observation about the score: Back in the first season I found the synth approach charming but insufficient; too much of the show reminded me of big 70s & 80s Spielberg & Co fare with big orchestral Williams and Horner scores, and the climactic moments seemed a bit flat with the rather subdued synth score. I liked the synth stuff more this time, perhaps because I've gotten used to it - but by far the most dramatic "epic" moment of the whole season is underscored not by original music but by Philip Glass' Akhnaten, which works perfectly in the momen but is a really strong stylistic clash with the rest of the score (including the numerous songs). And more than that, it strongly suggests that the show has considerably more musical potential than it's score manages to realise.

Gotta greatly disagree here. I think the score has always been very fitting and one of my favorite aspects of the show. Honestly the most jarring thing to me was when the score went full orchestral with the Reimagined version of "Hidden Clown Ship" from Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Very bizarre, though I thought the Philip Glass cue worked alright considering the very surreal images on screen. I thought it helped that contrast and dark imagery, I think Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein could've done something for it as well though.

Especially this Season, Dixon & Stein went even bigger with their score with a few really stand out moments not making it onto the Album. There's some really good stuff that did make onto the Album though, particularly "Aftermath" and "Sauna Test". The emotional cues and the joyful cues I feel like they've always nailed. They also seem to really get "power moments" done well too.

It's unfortunate that this year Dixon & Stein did remedy the one issue I had with the score in Season 2, which was the Action music. Besides "The Hub", it's all very droning and atonal. It worked fine in the show, but they are my least revisited tracks when listening on album. THIS season however they went far more melodic and quite catchy, and virtually none of the new action cues are on the Album. Very disappointed in that.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

In episode 3 it is weird and very anachronical to listen to John debney's "Lair", when the kids play dungeons and dragons :p

Is it? The cue is actually by Kevin Kaska and is from Extreme Music's "Epic Adventure 3". I suppose it could sound similar to his work on the game as well. Don't know. Never heard it.

S1 was great, S2 was entertaining but lacked any defining traits, S3... I found myself doing dishes rather than watching the show.

I miss the horror stuff from S1. I know the show is famous for it’s 80’s references, but when it came to how it was done, S1 was a mix between a 70’s sci-fi movie (ala The Fury) and Alien (1979) mixed with a bit of The Goonies.

The show went down hill from there. S3 felt more like a bad rip off of Resident Evil. Ugh.

Those 80s references that used to be cute... Now they’re just forced and annoying. And for the love of God, stop pushing New Coke into the camera!

4 hours ago, TSMefford said:

4 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Is it? The cue is actually by Kevin Kaska and is from Extreme Music's "Epic Adventure 3". I suppose it could sound similar to his work on the game as well. Don't know. Never heard it.

Well it sounds note by note from lair, and yes it could be one of kashka tracks. That epic adventure album seems to be library music? Probable he made some epic cues based on his work on lair.

18 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Well it sounds note by note from lair, and yes it could be one of kashka tracks. That epic adventure album seems to be library music? Probable he made some epic cues based on his work on lair.

Probable absolutely. Which track does is it sound like for you?

Stranger Things 3x03 The Case of the Missing Lifeguard

The scene where El spies on Mike and the boys and they are burping and stuff was pretty funny!  Finding creepy Mrs Driscoll eating fertilizer in the basement was pretty creepy.  Poor Will, has no girlfriend like all his friends, and destroyed his childhood fort!  Being abducted really robbed him of a normal childhood.  I loved when Robin figured out the Russian code was about various stores in the mall, and when Steve realizes it originated from the mall too!  Nice to visit the Hawkins lab again, though I don't really get why there was a thug there that beat up Hopper (and didn't just kill him?).  Creepy ending with Billy having dinner with Heath's family, and the reveal that her dad is one of the newspaper guys giving Nancy a hard time!

Yea, she's good!  We looked her up early and found that and then I noticed she ends up looking like Uma often, similar facial expressions or something

I liked Season 3, wouldn't know where to rank it though.

Things got bigger and more dangerous in some parts, but it's really losing the main horror element the first one especially had, it's rooted more in comedy now, it feels like there's a hilarious cutaway, random quip or funny solution to everything until the last half hour (Neverending Story was great, though, especially everyone else's reactions, I couldn't breathe). The possession element was also downgraded, from the best friend group member who was already in grave danger recently, to

Spoiler

one dick we knew from last season, two dicks we only met this season and two random women we only barely met this season, as well as random extras. Big whoop, let them snuff it. At least Billy was redeemed somewhat, though they didn't really add anything more to the abusive dad backstory we already were shown in a genius short glimple last season..

I'm liking Mike less and less, the "he tries to explain something to a baffled El but is too chickened out to just say it" routine seemed badly acted and really forced.

Wasn't a big fan of how the splinter groups were mostly isolated in eps 2-7 with little exchange of information or intermingling.

I liked Robin, but

Spoiler

is my memory hole-ey or did she have absolutely nothing to do or say after coming out, until the kinda pointless "3 months later" scene? I also didn't feel she became part of the larger group, we didn't have an initiation scene, but like Jon being a Targaryen, there's only so many times you can have characters tell the same info the viewer already knows to other characters who are looking various amounts of surprised.

I may be a bit too easy to be lead by my nose, because

Spoiler

I was very surprised to find out Suzie was real, and also expected Murray to sacrifice himself to explode the key instead of Hopper - well, even he's only in Russian Prison now. Also it wasn't completely clear at the end why El is now with the Byers' and leaving with them.

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hide contents

Also it wasn't completely clear at the end why El is now with the Byers' and leaving with them.

Spoiler

I just assumed she had no-one else to live with. She's a secret from Mike's family. Winona is the only other one who knows about her. Winona was becoming closer to Sheriff Truman, who was her adopted father.

Spoiler

Yeah, ended up assuming the same. But how much longer are they/were they just gonna hide her from the world? After S01 I can completely understand it, the lab is still open and dangerous, and she barely knows more than a few words.

1 hour ago, Holko said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Friends don't lie!

17 minutes ago, The Original said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Then again, we saw Paul Reiser is still out there and comes quickly...

Stranger Things 3x04 The Sauna Test

All these Hopper and Joyce scenes continue to be amusing, like why can't they just admit they like each other?  Kinda funny that all it takes is for Joyce to say the assailant was on a motorcycle for Jim to figure out he works for the mayor.  Cary Elwes is a treat as the corrupt mayor here!  The Steve/Robin/Dustin crew using Erica to crawl through vents to get them into the room, and it being not just a storage room , but a crazy elevator, was neat!  Nancy and Will being fired by the monster-as-the-boss was no surprise, and I liked that Nancy actually talked to her mom and got good advice (so the mom isn't just there for that silly subplot about almost banging Billy).   I like that the kids figure out the Mind Flayer is being everything going on, and it isn't like, yet another new monster terrorizing the same town.  Of course the Mind Flayer wants to get to Eleven!  The site of Billy on the life guard chair wrapped up in blankets was pretty funny, and then the whole sauna test sequence with Billy almost killing Eleven was pretty good!  Not sure why he ran away after she tossed him through the brick wall instead of going back in to finish the job, but whatever.  The episode ends with the reveal that the Mind Flayer has not abducted A LOT of residents around town, like way more than you would have guessed.  Uh oh!

12 hours ago, Jay said:

The sight of Billy on the life guard chair wrapped up in blankets was pretty funny

Yes! Although I would've thought he could get more umbrellas, or abandon the chair altogether!

Oh, I also wasn't a giant fan of the score in select moments. The CE3K scene in Ep1, for example, was way overscored, completely working against the scene IMO.

All the toys coming to life and leading Barry/Dustin out of the room? Even the choice of toys and the sequence of showing them seemed like a conscious and direct homage.

I love how the BTTF music in the theatre made a perfect moment of suspense as the camera pans along the row to reveal Steve and Robin missing.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

I love how the BTTF music in the theatre made a perfect moment of suspense as the camera pans along the row to reveal Steve and Robin missing.

Also when Dustin is in the booth. Brought some color to the action for once!

On 7/12/2019 at 8:06 AM, Holko said:

All the toys coming to life and leading Barry/Dustin out of the room? Even the choice of toys and the sequence of showing them seemed like a conscious and direct homage.

Funny because the music for that scene isn't original score. It's tracked from Killer Klowns From Outer Space mixing both the original synth version and the "Reimagined" orchestral version. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of that choice either, but not the composers fault on that one. I prefer the trailer version of that scene where they use Home Sweet Home by Mötley Crüe as source music. 

On 7/12/2019 at 6:08 AM, Arpy said:

The scores for this show should've been orchestral/symphonic from the beginning.

Again, disagree. I love the style they went with. 

Did she steal your heart? She is a klepto after all.

Saw the first episode of S3. It reminded me of Spielberg in his 1941 mode. It has that conscious 'We're so good, we can't do anything wrong' tone, which I'm not a fan of.