STRANGER THINGS

Jay

On 7/12/2019 at 3:15 PM, Arpy said:

I love how the BTTF music in the theatre made a perfect moment of suspense as the camera pans along the row to reveal Steve and Robin missing.

Actually the BTTF track is played during the whole sequence - even during the cutaways to the supermarket. I loved that!

I found it super easy to binge this season over the weekend because I thought it was going to be ten episodes, for some reason. So once shit wrapped up in S8, I was surprised there was only about twenty minutes of denouement left in the season. 

The person mentioned at the very end could be one of three people, so it doesn't necessarily need to be the obvious one. 

I was shipping those two all season so when it was revealed, I didn't see it coming. 

Mike is more and more unlikeable as the show progresses. 

• 2 weeks later...

We finished S3 this weekend, and it was much better than S2 (which almost had lost my spouse's interest).  Hopefully it keeps up the quality in the next season. 

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, woj said:

The person mentioned at the very end could be one of three people, so it doesn't necessarily need to be the obvious one. 

I though it was interesting how much, especially in the early part of the season, that

Spoiler

they talked about/showed Sean Astin's Bob.  Since he died offscreen last year, and they talked about him so much, I almost expected him to reappear. 

I'm assuming the third person you're talking about is

Spoiler

Barb from season 1.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, woj said:

I was shipping those two all season so when it was revealed, I didn't see it coming. 

Neither did we - I think my wife even gasped.  I think the acting on that scene was very good from both of them - she was the season MVP (well, except for the special guest singer mid-episode in the finale).

Huh? Bob didn't didn't die offscreen, he very graphically got eaten by a demidog onscreen, and they even replayed the scene this year.  And wasn't he only in this season in the very first episode only? 

The only three options for the American the Russians can have at the end are Hopper, Matthew Modine's character from season 1, or a brand new character they'll invent between seasons. 

Barb is dead. 

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only three options for the American the Russians can have at the end are Hopper, Matthew Modine's character from season 1, or a brand new character they'll invent between seasons. 

Barb is dead. 

I was referring to Hopper, Matthew Modine's Dr Brenner, or Brett Gelman's Murray Bauman, who with his knowledge of the Russian language and the shit that went down in Hawkins, may have decided later to go looking for Hopper. For whatever reason, possibly grief. Definitely a long shot. 

Nah that's a good call, it could be him too! 

Though I guess the actor who played Hopper recently revealed in an interview its him, unless he was just messing around. 

I remembered Bob getting dragged offscreen - guess I misremembered!  They brought up Bob a bunch of times in the first few episodes of this season.  Winona Ryder flashing back to sitting on the couch with him, the flashback to his death, there was a drawing of him on the fridge. 

Barb was dragged into the Upside Down, but I don’t think we saw anything after that. I may be wrong about that, too, for all I know.  I don’t go back and rewatch these things.

Matthew Modine is a good guess.  I guess it could be Murray, captured offscreen between S3 and the end credits scene.  I’m more inclined to believe it’s a surprise returning character or an all new character, rather than one of the characters already in play

Wow Troxie, you have holes in your memory when it comes to this show! They absolutely found her dead body, worms crawling through it and everything. And then they held a big funeral for her at the end of season 2.

She dead. 

On 8/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, Jay said:

Wow Troxie, you have holes in your memory when it comes to this show! They absolutely found her dead body, worms crawling through it and everything. And then they held a big funeral for her at the end of season 2.

She dead. 

I can't even remember this. What a forgettable character!

She was Nancy's friend that was hanging out on the diving board instead of going into the party, who got abducted and take into the Upside Down and died there! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's worth noting that January 2020 is 4 years and 2 months after season 1 started filming in November 2015. 

This means it'd have to be set in late 1987 or early 1988 to keep with the actors current ages. Season 1 took place in November 1983, Season 2 in October 1984, and season 3 in July 1985.

Since I don't think they're going to have 2 1/2 years happen off screen, those kids are going to be way older than their characters most likely. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My wife and I are trying to make it through Season 3. After episode 5, I've thrown in the towel. The characters have become close to unbearable. Everyone has an attitude and yells at each other all the time, it seems; the police chief is a shambling prick; the jokes are lame, and it's plain ridiculous that (1) four kids could basically spy on and tour themselves around unseen a (2) secret Russian science experiment thing straight out of Man in the High Castle that (3) was somehow built half a mile underneath a shopping mall with absolutely no one knowing. And I'm sure whatever that flayer thing is will end up being dealt with by the kids the same way we've seen in the previous two seasons. So I'm out.

Killing Eve, on the other hand...

I think the implication is that the underground bunker system was built at the same time as the new mall, and the mall operates as cover.

Sorry you don't care for it!  We were all-in on season 3, after a season 2 that I was so-so on and that almost lost my spouse completely.

I fear that they'll eventually run into a dead end like they did on the show Heroes.  On that show, they had a character (Hiro) that was so powerful that they constantly made him unable to use his powers in order to allow story to happen.  There are only so many times that Eleven can be absent or unconscious or depowered before it becomes a clear crutch.

Part of me wishes I could have stayed engaged with the show as much as you all have, since I liked the first two seasons a lot. (mstrox's legitimate concerns notwithstanding, it must be exciting to know there's a fourth season coming.) But then I think of all the great television, movies, books, and god know what else there is waiting for me and that I'll die before ever getting around to enjoying. I have so limited time for this stuff to begin with, I realize I shouldn't misspend any of it on stories that lose me. None of us should!

• 4 weeks later...

Teaser for Season 4. Big spoilers for people who haven't watched until the end of S3:

Also:

Spoiler

“We’re excited to officially confirm that production on ‘Stranger Things 4’ is now underway — and even more excited to announce the return of Hopper!” the Duffer brothers wrote in a statement. “Although it’s not all good news for our ‘American;’ he is imprisoned far from home in the snowy wasteland of Kamchatka, where he will face dangers both human…and other. Meanwhile, back in the states, a new horror is beginning to surface, something long buried, something that connects everything. Season 4 is shaping up to be the biggest and most frightening season yet, and we cannot wait for everyone to see more. In the meantime, pray for the American.”