STRANGER THINGS

Jay

It took longer because of the covid delays and protocol problems. I heard the duffers say in an interview that they didn't intend to go past 8 months filming total. And with season 5 being smaller in total runtime, I would assume 6 months. 

The Duffers normally write 4 episodes before filming and then write the other 4 during filming. And considering season 5 directly follows 4, the preproduction time will be less, with sets, costume, location scouting etc.

Does anyone recognise this piece? I swear I've heard it in previous seasons. I've searched the season 1,2 and 3 scores and can't find it. I might be imagining things, but I feel like I've heard this particular piece used before in Stranger Things. 

20 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Does anyone recognise this piece? I swear I've heard it in previous seasons. I've searched the season 1,2 and 3 scores and can't find it. I might be imagining things, but I feel like I've heard this particular piece used before in Stranger Things. 

Nope. It has not appeared in previous seasons.

It only appears in Season 4. Both in Chapter 5 and Chapter 7.

If I recall correctly, the only track on the Season 4 score that has appeared before (excluding theme reprises of course) is Track 4 of Volume 1 "Journalistic Instinct"

That cue is from Season 2 and is only slightly redone for Season 4 (see Stranger Things 2: Chapter 6 "The Spy" at 31:56)

3 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Which one is your favorite out of all of this? Did you find any more melodies or ideas that I missed? Or different variations of themes I already mentioned? Feel free to correct or add anything you want.

Nice breakdown!

There's also a sort of general "romantic love" idea that appears throughout the series as well (also connects to the Kids Theme, but much slower):

And it even appears in Season 4 in a rather clever way:

Spoiler

During Will's half confession to Mike (disguised as being about Eleven) about being different - more heartfelt and understated hints of this "Love Theme" are heard throughout. It's most obviously heard at 3:21, but there's clear elements spread around the track:

I noticed there was a recurring motif or idea for 'evil.' It's mostly used for the demogorgon, but can be an overall evil sound - 

And it recurrs in different ways in the pieces - 'Danger Danger,' 'Something In The Wall,' 'Descent Into The Rift,' and 'To Be Continued.'

I haven't searched season 4 score yet. Still listening through it for enjoyment purposes before I start analysing it thematically.

Not sure if this is an idea that has been discussed and resolved, but I have only become a fan of Stranger Things for about 2 months when I finally got Netflix and decided to check it out. I have watched all of it and love it, but as I haven't been around for the last 6 years of discussion surrounding the show, I may be repeating old theories.

Here goes -

I don't think Eleven ever knew what the Upside Down was at all in season 1. The boys are annoyed that she seems to know about it and wont tell them. And that she seems to have some knowledge about the demogorgon and its origins etc. I believe she didn't.

To show the boys where she thought Will was, she turned the gameboard 'upside down,' and showed them that he is there with the demogorgon. She isn't telling them that Will is in another dimension. I believe she is telling them where she has seen Will and the Demorgogon; not the other dimension known throughout the series as the upside down, but instead the black void where Eleven goes to find people in her head.

She turned the board over (upside down) to show a black void, and places Will and the Demogorgon onto it. That is clearly a visual representation of her black void mindscape.

So when the kids ask where Will is, she says the words; 'Upside Down.' She isn't telling them he's in an alternate hell dimension. She's telling them where she saw him; in her mind...in the black void. She's basically saying "I saw him in the black void of my mind. You know, when I turned the board upside down. He's there. I saw him there." The boys then misinterpret that as the 'Upside Down' being an alternate dimension. But Eleven never meant that. She doesn't know about the upside down and could never know. And why would she call the other dimension; the upside down? She was merely describing what she did with the board, to portray the black void of her mind she uses to find people, and Will.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, dylanskie said:

Rob Simonsen uploaded four tracks from season 4 to his website:

https://www.robsimonsen.com/stranger-things

They sound identical to the tracks that appeared on YouTube a few months ago FYI

Awesome. Guess they were leaked early afterall.

Not sure if I ever mentioned this, but a cue from one of Rob Simonsen's past scores was actually used as temp music in another scene in the show it turns out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 14/11/2022 at 1:48 PM, Edmilson said:

Duffer Brothers Say ‘Stranger Things’ Final Season Pitch Made Netflix Execs Cry

"The only other time I've seen them cry is, like, budget meetings," Matt Duffer said during a SAG panel for the series this weekend.

Bullsh*t. The only things that makes TV execs cry are bad ratings and the Ghost of Christmas past.

Can anyone help with Invada records info?

I need to know if they're legitimate or just stole my money.

I bought Stranger Things 4 CD's months ago and was waiting, considering they weren't available yet, but now they are and I haven't received any update at all. Also when I tried to email them, it wouldn't send, saying it was an invalid email address.

So basically I have no idea if the CD's are even going to come now, and the CD's everywhere else are selling out fast, and I don't want to miss it.

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I bought Stranger Things 4 CD's months ago and was waiting, considering they weren't available yet, but now they are and I haven't received any update at all.

Are they? Their website still shows them as Pre-Sale for me with the disclaimer "***PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PRE ORDER: SHIP DATE TBC***".

If they're available but they haven't updated the info on the listing yet idk if I would trust them personally. 

You could try reaching out more publicly on their socials perhaps if you're having no luck with email.

3 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Are they? Their website still shows them as Pre-Sale for me with the disclaimer "***PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PRE ORDER: SHIP DATE TBC***".

If they're available but they haven't updated the info on the listing yet idk if I would trust them personally. 

You could try reaching out more publicly on their socials perhaps if you're having no luck with email.

I just saw them available elsewhere and the release date was last month, so I have no idea really. It's just a panic thing, like 'wait a minute, am I actually getting them or what?' Especially if they sell out and I can't get them anywhere else.

Yeah the CDs are definitely out, I've seen them in record stores so I guess they should be shipping from their website.

I don't think you should panic though, none of the Stranger Things ever sold out, you'll get them :)

Incredible that we are getting physical releases only now, 6 months after the digital one, ridiculous. 

• 1 month later...

So, any one going to the London play? I'm going to try to get tickets today. I missed the Stranger Things Experience in London because I had no idea it was only a temporary thing, so I'm not missing this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished season 4. Have to admit that it was more of a struggle to get through when episodes are so long and all you want is a TV show length thing to watch and not a movie. I can't say I thought it was better or worse than the prior seasons, although it does feel a bit like they story could have been told in maybe 3 seasons, there's just a bit too much padding at this point and it's not even the enjoyable padding of the 80s kids at high school, of which there was much less this season, just a more than average number of setbacks which almost reset a particular plot line, especially Hopper in Russia, which had some great moments, but had too many false starts in terms of his escape (also, he would be thin at the end, not trim and ripped).

My other half was convinced that they were only doing 4 seasons although I was sure it was 5, and given where it was headed, it felt like it was getting to a pretty final climax. However, again, an engineered setback was used to reset the entire plot so there was yet more scope to carry on to season 5. I'm sure I'll watch it, but definitely glad the next season is the last as it really needs closure.

• 6 months later...

Stranger Things 5 has begun production and uh...

This is why I'm so baffled that they wrote season 4 so that it ends in a way season 5 has to pick up right where it left off, cause everyone looks noticeably older, most especially Erica!

Production on Season 4 began almost FOUR YEARS AGO (February 2020) btw

They finished filming, after the covid delay, in September 2021

Is it just me or do Joe Keery and Maya Hawke look like they don't want to be there?  Even MBB is faking a perfectly acceptable smile

• 4 weeks later...

This should not be a surprise to anyone, but the final season, which only just started filming, has been confirmed by Netflix to not be coming out until 2025

https://deadline.com/2024/02/stranger-things-ginny-amp-georgia-wednesday-virgin-river-delayed-2025-netflix-1235810685/