STRANGER THINGS

Jay

finished watching this a week or two ago.

it was good, not great. I was fairly captivated by most of the episodes but I feel like it petered out near the end, providing some unsatisfying conclusions - however I did like the look and idea of the upside-down, but that's probably because I find the idea of the world in Silent Hill as really disturbing.

Hopper was great, a real Han Solo type that made me enjoy his interactions and appreciate when he evolved beyond that as a three dimensional character.

really glad they didn't kill him off when he went investigating into the government research lab. 

villains were meh, not really fleshed out that much. I was initially really shocked when I first saw the monster, and the brief flashes with the characters describing it was unsettling. however it fell victim to the 'Nothing is Scarier' trope and so when I saw it more in the spotlight a lot of the tension was gone as it just felt like a CGI monster face splitter from Silent Hill or Resident Evil. 

11 was great, her performance was captivating and there were some really sweet moments between her and Mike. very obvious ET influences, which I picked up on despite never having seen the movie. I feel like I'll remedy that and watch it soon.

the rest of the kids were good, I didn't cringe as much as I thought I would at the humour, and it was a decently accurate depiction of how kids actually are when they're not around adults.

TIME FOR THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.

I thought Winona Ryder played one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen. I get the intention but when the execution is just so grating because of the sub-par acting it ruins what might have been a good idea for an unstable character. almost every-time she showed up I cringed, the wailing voice that seems to never change in tone was horrendously irritating. honestly, if I didn't like some of the other elements or felt compelled to know some of the mysteries (even if some of the answers were a bit unsatisfying) I might've given up just because of her.

As a long time Winona Ryder fan (and even -- in my teenage years -- "desirer"), I was completely sold on her performance in this series. But I think I can understand why some people find it aggravating. As long as you realize that the 'intensity' of her nervousness is all intended, though, it might help you better appreciate her performance.

I think the "problem" with Winona's performance in the show is that ALMOST right away, her kid is missing.  You barely get to see her "normal" life towards the beginning of the pilot and then pretty much the rest of the show she's in "my son is missing" mode.  Hopefully season 2 will show more aspects of her character.

That being said, she did seem to be a bit of a high strung character even before her kid got kidnapped and inter-dimensional beings invaded her home, but maybe a few scenes of her being more calm would have changed some people's opinions on her acting in the show.  Who knows.  

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

As a long time Winona Ryder fan (and even -- in my teenage years -- "desirer"), I was completely sold on her performance in this series. But I think I can understand why some people find it aggravating. As long as you realize that the 'intensity' of her nervousness is all intended, though, it might help you better appreciate her performance.

It's not her character or the character traits that bother me, it's the way she delivers it. I was never a fan of her acting.

• 2 weeks later...

The Duffer brothers promise Stranger Things won’t overstay its welcome

Right now, the Duffers are envisioning Things will last four or five seasons but that can all change.

“Everything changes as we move forward so we’ll see,” says Ross Duffer. Adds Matt Duffer, “I want it to have a really finite ending. I don’t want it to be one of those shows that runs out of gas and they lose it because they’re losing interest. You wanna end when you’re on top.”

Much like season 1, the Duffers are aiming for Stranger Things 2 to feel like one long movie. Says Ross Duffer, “Hopefully you’ll come to the end of season 2 and feel fully satisfied and want more but you’ll feel like it has come to a conclusion. But also we’ve laid the ground work for further seasons.”

• 4 months later...
51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wonder if Netflix will have made the same mistake HBO did when they fast tracked True Detective season 2?

Fast tracked?

Season 1 premiered in July 2016.  How is a October 2017 arrival for season 2 in any way fast tracking?

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the music will be a little more engaging this season. They should follow GoT by using the main theme in more of the score.

Saw the trailer yesterday. Looks very good. I dig the music; anyone know what it is? I assume it's not from the original score.

Holy crap, that was easily my favorite trailer out of all these that came out this weekend.  Looks awesome!

I thought Michael Jackson was pretty universally known, especially his biggest hits!

So did I. Guess I wasn't as familiar with the song as I thought, especially not the intro. Is it a new arrangement?

I think I saw the whole music video once. All subsequent times I've heard the song (on the radio, on the dance floor etc), it's gone straight into the "meat" of the song.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yeah... and you can tell it's awful on purpose because they think it's funny in an ironic way but it's not actually funny, you know?

These kinds of meta-ironic visual choices I've seen associated with the show are part of what's kept me from checking it out.  I liked Super 8 partially because of how earnest it was.