Meng: New album featuring recordings of Avner's Theme and Rounds

Incanus

That's nice, but one would think -- given the prize is presumably named after the guitarist Christopher Parkening -- that the guy would play something from Williams' STEPMOM, on which Parkening actually played.

Yes, the Parkening International Guitar Competition is indeed named after guitarist Christopher Parkening, who is now spending his life as a teacher and educator.

Actually the piece "Rounds" that JW wrote for Pablo Villegas was indeed premiered by the Spanish guitarist at the Parkening competition in 2012.

Rounds isn't deducated to Villegas. The score comes with the following dedication "with great admiration for Christopher Parkening and the Parkening International Guitar Competition". As a former competition winner (2006), Villegas returned to premiere Rounds at the 2012 edition.

At the premiere, Parkening explained something like that he had been asking Williams for a solo piece for ages, but Williams was always busy and somewhat insecure about writting for solo guitar. Eventually, one day Parkening recieved, to his surprise, the score in the mail.

18 hours ago, Thor said:

the guy

Wrong.

I think it's kind of cool for "Avner's Theme" to get some love.  I think that's a great piece.  As for "Rounds," I haven't quite been able to fall in love with it; but a lot of Williams' non-film work tends to improve for me every time I listen to it, so maybe that will happen with "Rounds" as well.

Not sure I'll buy this disc, but I'm glad to know about it.

• 4 years later...