The Austin Wintory Thread

Faleel

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Lovely stuff!

Not my words Michael, the words of Shakin' Stevens.

Probably my first time hearing anything from Journey, definitely recognised his voice from knowing the Banner Sagas. Loved it!

Wintory writes with the intricate layers, technical instrumentation and complex voicing that you just don’t hear out of Hollywood/media composers these days. Other than Williams. Great to hear him revisit this absolute masterpiece. The original is one of my favorite albums of the 2010s. I need to explore more of his works. 

So I listened to this album on youtube music today:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=OG8h-Q4EXVY&list=OLAK5uy_l-3-v-wPXclrrPOqIn0Ik8A1n-LaZtOXI

and when the last track started, instead of just showing the album cover, it became a whole music video.  Here that video is, embedded.

• 5 months later...

Wintory and Susie Seiter will score a Netflix minisseries about the Cave Rescue on Thailand.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/08/30/austin-wintory-susie-seiter-scoring-netflixs-thai-cave-rescue/

Will it be better than Benjamin Wallfisch's music for the recent movie based on the same event?

• 2 weeks later...

New Austin Wintory score album out today:

1400x1400bb.webp

1. The Legend of Tham Luang (1:58)
2. The Wild Boars (4:57)
3. The Princess (3:14)
4. Flooding (4:47)
5. Are We Trapped Here? (1:55)
6. The Way Out (3:14)
7. Nine Days Without Food (3:13)
8. Thirteen Boys (3:59)
9. The Rescue Begins (1:34)
10. Cameras and Soldiers (4:15)
11. Parents’ Letters (2:00)
12. We Need a New Rescue Plan (7:52)
13. Saman and Meow (1:06)
14. Dive Training (0:59)
15. The Country Can Grow More Rice (2:14)
16. I’m Lucky to Have You (6:30)
17. Procession (3:05)
18. Will This Help My Friends? (2:43)
19. The Courage to Endure (2:14)
20. Kisa Gotami (3:30)
21. We Are All Grieving (7:12)
22. The First Five (4:04)
23. We Need to Keep Moving (2:53)
24. It’s Time to Go (3:05)
25. The Final Dive (7:55)
26. Everyone Rescued Him (3:05)
27. Keep Holding On (Thai Version) – The Toys (4:11)
28. Keep Holding On (Hybrid Version) – The Toys (4:11)

https://music.apple.com/us/album/thai-cave-rescue-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-series/1645511351

I just checked out he whole album and really liked it a lot!  I have no idea how it compares to other Wintory works because I'm not that familiar with him, but he did a good job here sometimes harkening back to Goldsmith's work on Planet of the Apes and other action material, as well as having a voice of its own.  There's a lot of variety throughout the album

I'm still in Journey/The Pathless FTW camp (which is not to say I don't love the others but these 2 hold a special place in meheart) but I'd say quality-wise it's very in-line with other game scores from Wintory - though obviously with touches of Goldsmith's and Horner's sounds.

Personally, I feel "Giants in the Earth" and "Air Support" REALLY don't work here. I see where he was coming from but they're just way too ?chippy/peppy for action Aliens tracks IMHO.

Edit:

Since this is my first post in this thread, I'm going to add that I could not listen to more than 5 seconds of the Traveler - A Journey Symphony. It very well may be a fantastic album but I refuse to listen to more of it. I'm too attached to the original performances.

BTW I don't know if anyone really took notice of it or cares, but if you were frustrated by the lossy quality of the initial Journey release (CD and digital) you should look into the 2021 digital re-release (different cover). It appears to be "demastered" compared to the lossy and more compressed initial release.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

https://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/stray-gods

If you're going to buy it then this is ?probably what you should get?.

After sampling... I'm not in a rush... I know AW and a lot of people are excited about this project but I don't think these songs are for me. Edit: Then again, it's very affordable and the music tracks seem nice... I'll probably get it anyways, lol.

On 27/04/2023 at 4:56 PM, Jay said:

I only got to listen to this now, too. Really into "Eyes Reopened".

On 10/08/2023 at 10:24 PM, filip said:

https://austinwintory.bandcamp.com/album/stray-gods

If you're going to buy it then this is ?probably what you should get?.

I apologize for the self-bump but I figured it's worth noting - it would appear that the bandcamp version also comes with an unlisted 90th track "Home Screen".