1977 Spielberg interview (talks about his soundtrack collection and JW)

TownerFan

he plays the entire score on the piano

Spielberg just means the main themes, right? It sounds almost like he's saying that Williams literally plays every cue. 

1 hour ago, Jilal said:

He probably did go through every cue, playing tidbits here and there.

@Sharkus Malarkus @karelm @nightscape94 What Vaughan Williams music would they have listened to?

Well if they were working on Jaws, it most likely was Vaughan Williams's Sea Symphony (No. 1) which is full of lush oceanic moments.

Interesting, given Spielberg's unabashed love of film music, that he'd choose to pretty much work with only one composer for his entire career, even if it is arguably the best composer of film music in history.

Can't say I hear much of a similarity to anything in the Sea Symphony, but I do see a possible well of inspiration in the opening movement of the Second Symphony (Out to Sea, Ben Gardner's Boat, End Titles etc.). Give it a listen, @Jilal

5 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Can't say I hear much of a similarity to anything in the Sea Symphony, but I do see a possible well of inspiration in the opening movement of the Second Symphony (Out to Sea, Ben Gardner's Boat, End Titles etc.). Give it a listen, @Jilal

Oh yes, I only listened to the first couple minutes but already I had spotted an enormous similarity to...

I could mistake one for the other they're so similar! 

@Jilal

He probably did go through every cue, playing tidbits here and there.

Wow. I'd always thought he'd just play a couple themes early in the process and would then work independently until the sessions. 

Was it often that Williams would play many/every cue(s) for the director? 

Also, Spielberg says in the interview, "Before he orchestrates he asks me to come over." So at the time of "piano demoing," even if every cue is written, the score isn't really orchestrated? 

@karelm or @loert, would you also be able to shed some light on this? 

11 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Yes! The "LONDON" is my fave RVW ever, and a clear blueprint for JAWS (not that that's a bad thing, mind).

Curiously, where he imagines Embankment, I imagine Strand. Ho hum. 

The "time passes, England passes" section where he "looks" down the Thames, is heartbreaking, and is something that can only be truly "felt" by a Londoner. In that regard, its a bit like WATERLOO SUNSET.

I agree with loert's description of the process.  I would also add that there is time at the front dedicated to creating the concept and deciding how many themes there are.  This is actually not always evident at the start of a film.  For example, why isn't there a Han Solo theme?  There is a Han and the Princess theme but that usually accompanies the two of them.  At the start of a film, the composer might opt for too many themes and start eliminating unessential themes that muddy the story by their adding an unneeded perspective.    One example of a score concept is from Jaws where JW saw the film as more of a sea adventure rather than a horror flick so the score is mostly adventure music in the second half.  With JW, I don't know if I've heard of a story where there was a disagreement over the concept but other examples would be Torn Curtain with the famous Hitchcock/Herrmann feud which ended their long standing partnership (Hitch wanted a more contemporary pop score and Herrmann wanted a dramatic orchestral score).  I think with JW, the play through is like we see in that ET clip, where he is playing back his ideas and refining them based on feedback.  This is how the Indiana Jones theme was born through JW playing several options of the theme and Spielberg liked both so they were merged together.

@loert @karelm Thanks for your detailed description! I had always thought that after the main themes were demoed JW wouldn't reconvene with the director until the sessions, but now I know there's another stage where JW goes into more detail about his vision. 

The one thing I'm curious about: What, if anything, does Williams write down before creating the "formal" sketches? When he demoes themes and, later, his "plan," on the piano, does he have sheet music (two or eight/sixteen staves?) for various excerpts, or even completed sketches for some cues? Or does he just store everything in his head up until when he's given the go-ahead to complete the score? 

Do we even know the answers to these questions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 5:26 AM, loert said:

after all, can you imagine him playing something like this? By the end there'd be blood on the keyboard!

Oof, yeah! :lol:

On 9/11/2016 at 10:47 AM, karelm said:

At the start of a film, the composer might opt for too many themes and start eliminating unessential themes that muddy the story by their adding an unneeded perspective.    

Woah. Does that mean that for many JW scores there are possibly some themes he wrote that we'll never know of (or, at most, we'll get in sketch form)? I'd never thought too much about this before. I wonder though whether "discarded" themes would generally be heard in the score in one way or another, as one-off melodies. 

@loert That sketch is cool, thanks! 

So the plan remains shrouded in mystery. "The plan"... That sounds rather mysterious. ;)

• 2 years later...
On 9/12/2016 at 4:34 PM, Loert said:

@Will Well, we know for sure that Williams did some preliminary sketches for Superman... Here is a portion of them, the themes/motifs which were used for the "Theme":

bxgZ9J7.jpg

@Loert

That's what I thought, too, but I realized recently this was actually Sandy Courage. The giveaways are the distinctive treble clef and the unusual way he tends to write capital 'N', with the right side going much higher than the left. Probably done in preparation for Superman IV?

One of the things I'm most curious to see at the future John Williams collection at Juilliard is if there are pages where he was working out melodies and ideas like that. Wouldn't you love to know what was on those pages on his desk here?

image.png

On 9/10/2016 at 5:19 PM, nightscape94 said:

Funny about them bringing up "To Kill a Mockingbird".

It was indeed. Would have been a great opportunity for Spielberg to say that John Williams played piano on that. Providing he knew, of course.

Nice little interview excerpt, by the way. We all know about Spielberg's soundtrack interest, of course, but he rarely gets the chance to expound upon the topic very much.

Spielberg's mother was an amateur classical pianist, so classical music was part of his everyday family life. Back in the 1950s, it wasn't very uncommon for middle-class families to have a piano at home and also listening to classical music.  Now it's definitely a dying breed, especially among American directors.