Superman IV Theme Releases?

igger6

Does anyone know if JW's themes for Superman IV ever received a commercial release or re-recording apart from that big blue box with all the Superman music on it?  I already have the two-disc release of Superman, and I'm not terribly interested in Superman II or III (my understanding is that II is all tracked and adapted from the sessions for I, and III isn't Williams at all), but the three themes from IV are some of my biggest Williams grails.  I can't find an OST anywhere online (even on used vinyl).  Does anyone know anything about the release or recording history of those pieces?

Alternatively, if you'd like to convince me to track down and fork over for the big blue box, take your best shot. B-)

Honestly, Superman: The Movie is the only score I really love in the box.  The rest, I'll throw on occasionally, but is it enough to justify the box?  IDK.  It's definitely the best Superman: The Movie ever sounded.

This guy is selling the second disc of IV.  No Jeremy's Theme, no Lacy's Theme and it's not the disc that has the fantastic United Nations cue.  But you do get Nuke's Theme.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FSMBOX02-Superman-The-Music-1978-1988-Disc-6-Superman-IV-/122122985587?hash=item1c6f18e073:g:zzYAAOSwvzRX01DB

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Superman IV is a SURPRISINGLY good score.  Like you I was originally only interested in the JW tracks, but it turns out that Courage's score is honestly quite good, all the way through!

That's definitely true.

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

take your best shot.

II, III and IV all feature excellent Superman-material! You might have to sift through some stuff that isn't up to par, but there's ALOT of things to appreciate for fans of JW's original score. You won't be disappointed.

Awesome!  Thanks for the input.  I also didn't realize there was a giant book in the set.  I love books.  Especially giant ones about film scores.  Come to think of it, I've never had a giant book all about film scores.  Never even seen one... :unsure:

OK, time to go search the sidewalk for nickels...

11 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I enjoy II a lot for what it is, a rehashed re-rerecording of the original.  Though inferior, it's a fun listen.  Some of Thorne's re-arrangements are quite nice.

Ken Thorne did a very good job, under extraordinary circumstances. He doesn't get enough credit for what he did.

• 1 year later...

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere here but in case anyone is interested... Superman IV is getting an individual release on May 8th.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/la-la-land-records-announces-superman-iv-and-crisis-on-earth-x-soundtracks/

1 minute ago, MrScratch said:

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere here but in case anyone is interested... Superman IV is getting an individual release on May 8th.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/la-la-land-records-announces-superman-iv-and-crisis-on-earth-x-soundtracks/

We've been discussing it in the La La Land Records thread