JW | New releases | Re-recordings of non-concert works

Bespin

This morning I listened to a 2014 recording by the BBC Concert Orchestra on Spotify. I don't think it correspond to a physical album. The playing is good, but it contains a way too much echo for me, but the thing is they recorded the End Titles from The Empire Strikes Back.

Well, I think it's worth of mention. Except the Gerhardt version, I don't remember any other re-recording of this piece.

Please feel free to share your own discoveries!

I don't understand what is happening here either.  You want us to list for you albums that contain orchestras playing film music?

It's for the new releases or the one we've missed. Sometimes, some re-recordings are worth of mention. I think it's better than creating a thread for each release. BTW we are in the JW section.

If you have a better title, please suggest.

So your idea for this thread is that people pop in to post some piece of film music written by JW that some other orchestra recorded, that they recently heard and liked?

Jay please tell us the right path, the right way to do it.  How can we communicate our passion of John Williams in YOUR forum. TELL US GREAT ORACLE.

A lot of orchestras rerecord JW's concert suites from movies.

It's much rarer that actual film tracks (such as ESB's finale-->end credits as mentioned above) are performed in concert or rerecorded.

That's what Bespin is looking for.  Made sense to me when I read it this morning.

City of Prague has done some Williams rerecordings of non-concert works.  Off the top of my head, I think they recorded about 20 minutes of music from The Rare Breed.

I've listened to this new 2016 re-recording too this morning... well.. not bad, but that's brass. :-)

--> Horseplay.... Euh... what's this? :sarcasm:

I need to listen to these one tonight:

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ohhhhh, so he wants actual film cues and not concert arrangements?

I'd personally be interested in both. ;)

Most notably if they're better re-recordings than any other ones available OR if they haven't be re-recorded before.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

--> Horseplay.... Euh... what's this? :sarcasm:

Seems to be "Isabel's Horse and Buggy" from Stepmom.

How come I even know that??? I never listened to that score in full! :huh:

Worth mention new releases only please.

5 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Seems to be "Isabel's Horse and Buggy" from Stepmom.

I've come to the same conclusion with the help of my friend Google.

Never saw this piece titled "Horseplay" before!

It seems to have been published under that name, is it new?

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

Worth mention new releases only please.

I've come to the same conclusion with the help of my friend Google.

Never saw this piece titled "Horseplay" before!

It seems to have been published under that name, is it new?

"Horseplay" is the name of the cue in the sheet music, as it was published years ago in an arrangement for strings and piano/harpsichord.

It's rather strange that "horseplay" popups like this in a 2016 album...and under the form of an arrangement from brass!

___

In the same category of "strange" or rare track choice... A Big Beautiful Ball on this 2016 solo guitar album dedicated to John williams (our favorite America... The Dream Goes On is even here!). 

a3140477415_10.jpg

Not bad!

https://noelakchote.bandcamp.com/album/scored-plays-john-williams

It's also on spotify.

I found this album a bit of a snooze.  Too much futzing with the tempo and what sounded to me like undisciplined picking, but may just be a style of freeform guitar that doesn't appeal to me.  But it's great to see another all-Williams cover album by a solo instrumentalist.  I still wish Keisuke Wakao would get back in the studio and cover some of JW's recent work, almost all of which would sound amazing in chamber arrangements for oboe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Released on October 28th.

Silence on joue: prise 2 / take 2 (2cd)

Cd 1:
01. The Ludlows – J. HORNER
02. Feather Theme – A. SILVESTRI
03. I Had a Farm - Main Theme – J. BARRY
04. Windmills of your Mind – M. LEGRAND / A. & M. BERGMAN, E. MARNAY
05. Unchained Melody – Orchestral – M. JARRE
06. Suite Harry Potter : Lily’s Theme – Harry in Winter – Courtyard Apocalypse – Prologue (Main Theme) A. DESPLAT - P. DOYLE - A. DESPLAT - J. WILLIAMS
07. Noah’s Visit - The Gravel Road - The Vote – J. N. HOWARD
08. Sotto falso nome – L. EINAUDI
09. Mon amie Max – F. DOMPIERRE
10. The Promise – M. NYMAN
11. La Valse d’Amélie – Y. TIERSEN
12. The French Lieutenant Dreams – P. GLASS
13. Rhapsodie sur un thème de Paganini(var.18) – S. RACHMANINOV
14. Across the Stars – J. WILLIAMS
15. Yumeji's Theme – S. UMEBAYASHI

Cd 2:
01. Tubular Bells – M. OLDFIELD
02. Misirlou – F. WISE, M. LEEDS, S. K. RUSSELL, N. ROUBANIS
03. He’s a Pirate – K. BADELT, G. P. ZANELLI, H. ZIMMER
04. Winterfell – Main Theme – R. DJAWADI
05. The Kiss – T. JAMES
06. À la folie – M. NYMAN
07. La Dolce Vita de La Pietà – N. ROTA
08. Smooth Criminal – M. JACKSON
09. Paradise – COLDPLAY
10. Axe F – Main Theme – H. FALTERMEYER
11. Downton Abbey – Main Theme – J. LUNN
12. If I Were a Rich Man – J. BOCK

It's the sequel of this very good album who also contained some fine JW re-recordings:

Silence on joue!

• 1 month later...

Released on 2016/10/28

Screen Serenade / Jones

2188411.jpg

Jurassic Park: Theme by John T. Williams
Performer:  Claire Jones (), Claire Jones (Harp)
Period: Modern 
Written: 1993; United States of Ame 

Length: 2 Minutes 37 Secs. 

E. T. The Extra-Terrestrial: Theme by John T. Williams
Performer:  Claire Jones (Harp), Claire Jones ()
Period: Modern 
Written: 1982; United States of Ame 

Length: 1 Minutes 33 Secs. 

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2188411

_____

Other things that passed under my radar...

• 1 month later...

I totally missed this one in 2015!

2014 Midwest Clinic: Carmel High School Symphony Orchestra (Live) de Carmel High School Symphony Orchestra

With Malice Toward none (with narration)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0108XYPGI/ref=ap_ws_tlw_trk8

1 minute ago, Jay said:

You're slipping!

Hey, that's not easy to know what's new with all these "John Williams" all around!!!

• 3 weeks later...

A new recording of Schindler's List Theme (ZZZzzz)... but a new recording of Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars too!!!

2225647.jpg
Music from the Motion Pictures / Griffiths, Brandenburgisches, Staatsorchester Frankfurt

Release Date: 11/11/2016         

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2225647

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎31 at 11:04 AM, Stefancos said:

Yeah, because the Star Wars end credits haven't been recorded enough...

It's Star Wars... 1977.. 2017... 40 years... The Episode VIII is coming...

I would appreciate a little more enthusiasm.

• 1 month later...

Not really a new thing, as it was released in 2004, but here's an arrangement of Catch Me if You Can for 12 cellos.

• 1 month later...

A new flute recording of Where Dreams are born (2016)

Where Dreams Are Born (From "A.I. Artificial Intelligence")

https://www.amazon.com/Where-Dreams-Born-Artificial-Intelligence/dp/B01LWSPFU7

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

A new flute recording of Where Dreams are born (2016)

https://www.amazon.com/Where-Dreams-Born-Artificial-Intelligence/dp/B01LWSPFU7

That's one nice album. I was listening to it earlier today while driving to work...

I'm two tracks into the Massimo Colombo album, and I'm enjoying it, at least as background music for grading papers.  He doesn't come across as a virtuoso, but he improvises pleasantly on the melodies.  This is the antithesis of that Enguerrand Friedrich Luhl guy.  Instead of playing it straight with mind-blowing attention to detail, Colombo creates an easy-listening fantasy approach.

Okay, so this question probably doesn't really belong in this topic, but I think it sort of does and as we were unclear on the point of the discussion in the beginning, I'm just going on a limb here.

Yesterday I accidentally discovered Erich Kunzel's re-recordings of a few JW pieces (concert arrangements and film cues) and really, really liked them, reminded me a bit of Herbert von Karajan's style. Other than that, my only experience with re-recordings comes from the City of Prague Orchestra, and, well, it's not really re-recording what they do, more like trying and failing to play JW. Their string section is great, but other than that, I don't like them at all. But now I'm wondering, can anyone tell me whether there are other conductors/ensembles worth checking out that have consistently produced JW re-recordings? So preferably not random Spotify tracks, but actual albums. I know John Debny nailed Superman, but would like more. I'm also much more interested in JW's output after Jaws (Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, Hook, Home Alone, Schindler's List, Indy, etc.) And finally, for me a re-recording doesn't count if it's blatantly obvios that an untalented someone first arranged/messed with the music.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, so this question probably doesn't really belong in this topic, but I think it sort of does and as we were unclear on the point of the discussion in the beginning, I'm just going on a limb here.

Yesterday I accidentally discovered Erich Kunzel's re-recordings of a few JW pieces (concert arrangements and film cues) and really, really liked them, reminded me a bit of Herbert von Karajan's style. Other than that, my only experience with re-recordings comes from the City of Prague Orchestra, and, well, it's not really re-recording what they do, more like trying and failing to play JW. Their string section is great, but other than that, I don't like them at all. But now I'm wondering, can anyone tell me whether there are other conductors/ensembles worth checking out that have consistently produced JW re-recordings? So preferably not random Spotify tracks, but actual albums. I know John Debny nailed Superman, but would like more. I'm also much more interested in JW's output after Jaws (Harry Potter, Star Wars prequels, Hook, Home Alone, Schindler's List, Indy, etc.) And finally, for me a re-recording doesn't count if it's blatantly obvios that an untalented someone first arranged/messed with the music.

Well, I would tell you to start with my website, the selective disco as a composer part. All the worth-mentionning re-recordings should be there... At least, it's a good starting point for what you are looking for.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/seldisco.htm

Do you know the Zubin Mehta album?

And BTW, I'm with you concerning the Prague orchestra... Their re-recordings is rather unequal. When you listen to their recordings you realize that JW's music is very complex... There's a lot of tempo changes by example, and if you don't change the speed at the right place you simply pass beside the goal...

I'm glad you talk about Karajan... He was a genius of tempis... Conducting like a mathematician. That's my kind of conducting.

Okay, thanks. I'll have a look at your website. Glad someone shares my City of Prague disapproval, I just can't understand why anyone would like them. They've even been called a respectable ensemble.

49 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, thanks. I'll have a look at your website. Glad someone shares my City of Prague disapproval, I just can't understand why anyone would like them. They've even been called a respectable ensemble.

Hey, bollemanneke, the 90s called -- they want you back! ;)

In all seriousness, it's been many years since Prague was a somewhat 'clunky' film orchestra. Today, they're some of the best in the world.

They've mostly done older re-recordings in later years (like the Tadlow/Fitzpatrick albums), or 'crossover' compilations.

But I'd certainly give my left arm for a Prague rerecording of something like STORIA DI UNA DONNA.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:40 AM, Thor said:

Hey, bollemanneke, the 90s called -- they want you back! ;)

In all seriousness, it's been many years since Prague was a somewhat 'clunky' film orchestra. Today, they're some of the best in the world.

I agree.  The problem with their Williams works, however, is that so many of them were recorded early on, and so every time they put out a new compilation it still contains the older recordings, many of which admittedly aren't very good.  It would be great it they could re-record their Williams back catalogue for future compilations, but of course I know it's easy to say that when I'm not paying for the sessions.....