Fernando Velazquez's 'A Monster Calls'

leeallen01

Big fan of Velazquez, and have been looking forward to his new score for 'A Monster Calls.' It seems like a really good story for a composer to get their hands on. 

I've just listened to the samples, which you can hear on Quartet Records site here - http://www.quartetrecords.com/a-monster-calls.html 

Some lovely pieces, and it has that romantic, elegant sound that Velazquez is so good at. I particularly like the Piano theme, which is showcased best in these samples in the 'End Credits' piece with String and Harp accompaniment. 

The Impossible is his best I think.

Mama.

Crimson Peak.

The Orphanage.

A couple of pieces to get an idea of his sound:

Raw emotion - 

End titles from 'The Impossible.'

Horror -

Finale piece from 'Mama.'

Classic - 

Waltz from 'Crimson Peak.'

Fun, light-hearted adventure -

From a Spanish kids film.

• 2 months later...

Just came back from the film, and I REALLY liked it. Straight into my Top 20 of the year -- very few people do melodrama as well as Bayona these days, and here he manages to tell the story of a grief process (channeled through the child's imagination, NEVERENDING STORY-style) with the same elegance he displayed in LO IMPOSSIBLE.

The score is variable, IMO -- some of the more fantastical and/or emotional bits are fine, but some of the suspence/horror/action music is a bit too 'sturm und drang' for my taste. Much the same impression I had when I listened to the album last week.

I'm surprised there's such a low interest in this. It's by far the best 'fantasy'-oriented film I've seen this year, and I doubt there's going to be another before New Year's.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

I tried it three times and found it not overly memorable, though somewhat pleasant. But i seldom found much to like in Velasquez.

You should see the film, if you can. If not for the music, then for the brilliant melodrama.